Wiki Posts
Search

Navigating Airports and Public Transit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Navigating Airports and Public Transit

In a couple weeks, I will be flying in to LGA for a meeting, and plan to head into the city for a meal before flying home. I will be flying out of EWR, so I'll probably be going to Penn Station to catch a NJT train.

What's the best way to leave LGA? M60? NYC Express to Grand Central? Cab?

If I take the M60, are there any MetroCard vending machines at MAT? If not, are there machines at any of the other terminals landside? I have a(n unexpired) metrocard, but I'm not sure if I have anything left on it. If I have to go to another terminal to load my MetroCard, is the Q70 any more or less reliable/fast than the M60?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:39 am

I know the M60 has returned to Terminal A and there is an MVM at baggage claim on the wall opposite the one carousel. M60SBS is Select Bus Service so you need a metrocard and swipe it at the machine at the stop to get a proof of payment ticket. The bus travels B-C-D-A from LGA.

NYC Express was NYC AIrporter at LGA is now only hourly service and has been bought by a limo company no longer run by Coach USA Runs 11a to 7p and to LGA only goes from Grand Central not Times Square when going to LGA..

If you are at Terminal B/C/D I suggest the Q70SBS it is much faster to the subway, no bridge to cross. At Jackson Heights, you can transfer to Queens Blvd E/F/M/R or the #7 the stop after that is Woodside and you can get the 7 or LIRR.
The entire route is just 4.7 miles from C to Woodside. Leaves LGA from C the D and B.

Most of my travels is on the M60SBS since I am flying B6, I usually get off in Astoria for the N Or W train and don't travel over the bridge to Manhattan.

I leave it to others for Livery and App ride services.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:38 am

I find the Q70 to be a lot quicker than the M60 unless you are traveling to Upper Manhattan during off-peak times.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm arriving into MAT. My meeting at American will most likely be in Terminal B.

Do the Q70 and M60 use the same stops? I wouldn't mind just getting on the first one that comes.

Any info on the Metrocard vending machines? I just need to check my balance and add to it if needed.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by diburning
I'm arriving into MAT. My meeting at American will most likely be in Terminal B.

Do the Q70 and M60 use the same stops? I wouldn't mind just getting on the first one that comes.

Any info on the Metrocard vending machines? I just need to check my balance and add to it if needed.
I haven't been to the MAT since Delta moved the shuttle to Boston to Terminal C. There is a newsstand in which you should be able to buy a metrocard. I can't confirm about a metrocard vending machine. I don't remember.

The Q70 does not stop at the MAT. The Q47 does!. The Q47 also goes to 74th St/Roosevelt Ave subway in Jackson Heights. You never said your destination but there are several subways lines including the 7 upstairs and the E, F, R, and M downstairs two levels.

The M60 also now stops at the MAT so at the bus stop, there will be a machine that you will need to use to get a ticket to board the M60 as it is an SBS which requires having a ticket in hand so you can board the bus from any door; it is not a vending machine to add money to a metrocard.

Last edited by Analise; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:17 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Strongly suggest you review the following: https://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index...Transportation

While somewhat dated, the basic information is valid and gives a very good overview of the transit options.

Regarding the M60-SBS; you can always pay the cash fare on the bus if your MetroCard doesn't have $2.75 on it. The cash fare can only be paid in coin; no bills. I believe there is a small machine next to the MetroCard SBS ticket kiosks that let you buy a SBS ticket using coins as well, although I am not sure if there is one at the MAT stop.

To get from the MAT to Terminals B, C, and D, there are free shuttles that you can get across the roadway from the MAT; just exit, bear to the right and look for the bus stop.
diburning likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:13 am

Sounds like you will be arriving at MAT and meeting someone at Terminal B (landside I guess), then go to city and head out to EWR. Busy day!
From Terminal B, I would take the Q70 LTD and then get an E express train into Manhattan. Seems unlikely you will want to be way uptown in you are leaving from Penn Station so M60 would be a longer trek. I have never boarded a bus at Terminal B so am unsure where any MTA kiosk would be. Perhaps use one at MAT to get squared away, then shuttle to Terminal B for your meeting.
sbm12 and diburning like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are kiosks to get Metrocards in Terminal B just inside of the front door and across from the bus station.

​​​​
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are not familiar with LGA or NYC, I would definitely grab an Uber and be done with it. Unless you are heading into NYC during the rush hour in the AM, it's a fairly quick ride.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:30 am

Agreed the simplest way would be Uber/Lyft/Taxi, particularly if there was a specific time and place to be somewhere. If however this is just a casual pass through with no particular schedule, learning the ropes of the local public transit is a good thing to attempt as a education you can apply in the future.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are not familiar with LGA or NYC, I would definitely grab an Uber and be done with it. Unless you are heading into NYC during the rush hour in the AM, it's a fairly quick ride.
And also $30+ more expensive to save 15-30 minutes in most cases. The transit options are just fine.

Q70 to E train is my suggestion as well.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Strongly suggest you review the following: https://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index...Transportation
Just what I needed! Thank you!

Originally Posted by xooz
Sounds like you will be arriving at MAT and meeting someone at Terminal B (landside I guess), then go to city and head out to EWR. Busy day!
From Terminal B, I would take the Q70 LTD and then get an E express train into Manhattan. Seems unlikely you will want to be way uptown in you are leaving from Penn Station so M60 would be a longer trek. I have never boarded a bus at Terminal B so am unsure where any MTA kiosk would be. Perhaps use one at MAT to get squared away, then shuttle to Terminal B for your meeting.
Actually, I'll be attending a meeting with American Airlines, so I'll be going airside as well with a gate pass. The meeting will last until the early-mid afternoon. My flight out of EWR is in the late evening ~9PM. I'd imagine I'd be traveling during the evening rush on the MTA (it's a Friday too)

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm heading into the city during the evening rush. Bad idea?

Originally Posted by xooz
Agreed the simplest way would be Uber/Lyft/Taxi, particularly if there was a specific time and place to be somewhere. If however this is just a casual pass through with no particular schedule, learning the ropes of the local public transit is a good thing to attempt as a education you can apply in the future.
I'm fairly familiar with the subway system, but have never been on an MTA bus. I'm sure I'll know what to do for next time! I usually fly to JFK or EWR if I'm going into the city, because of their easy connections (LIRR and NJT). This time, I'll be at LGA because of my meeting with American Airlines.

Originally Posted by sbm12
And also $30+ more expensive to save 15-30 minutes in most cases. The transit options are just fine.

Q70 to E train is my suggestion as well.
With multiple votes for Q70, looks like that's what I'll be doing!

Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:12 pm

Well, since it is business and if you can expense a taxi/Uber, I might opt for that mid afternoon. If the meeting runs over you don't want to have some unexpected slowdown that causes you to worry about getting to EWR. Since you would be going against traffic for the most part, a taxi would be perhaps less worry.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by diburning
I'm fairly familiar with the subway system, but have never been on an MTA bus.
The Q70 is a normal bus where you enter at the front door, pay the fare at the farebox next to the driver by either inserting a MetroCard or paying cash.

The M60 is a Select Bus Service route. On such routes, you need to obtain a ticket voucher before you enter the bus from a kiosk at the bus stop bu inserting a MetroCard or paying cash. When the bus arrives, enter through any door and be prepared to show the voucher upon demand.

In either case, a MetroCard swiped to enter a MTA bus will have a free transfer swipe into the NYC Subway that expires two hours from the first swipe.

While traffic shouldn't be too bad as you will be reverse-commuting into Manhattan, I would still take the Q70 to the E Train to Penn Station. BTW, I am a fan of The Pennsy for decent food options at Penn/MSG. The Pennsy NYC ? high end food hall above Penn Station

You are more likely to experience a bit of commuter crowding at NY Penn on the way to EWR.
diburning likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:47 am
Original Poster

The MTA map shows the Q70 as a SBS route though, calling it "LaGuardia Link."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.