Search

EWR to NY Penn -Morning Peak

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Krisflyer Gold, HHonors Gold
EWR to NY Penn -Morning Peak

Hi,

I am arriving into EWR after a trans con red-eye at 7am on a weekday and was thinking of getting the NJ Transit into NY Penn. I will have 1 medium sized piece of luggage with me. What are my chances of getting onboard a train at that time of the morning given morning peak? I'm more worried about my luggage and having nowhere to put it and also having it block others. I don't want to incur the wrath of an early morning NY/NJ commuter !
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I doubt you will be the only one taking luggage on the train ... the train likely will be full and you'll have to squeeze in.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by robbo135
Hi,
I'm more worried about my luggage and having nowhere to put it and also having it block others. I don't want to incur the wrath of an early morning NY/NJ commuter !
I never thought of it this way, where are you from?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui

I never thought of it this way, where are you from?
I am from Australia (Sydney), I catch a train into work everyday and my train goes via the Sydney airport stations. Our trains weren't built to cater to travellers with luggage either so I've had my share of personal space battles with those jumping on with luggage in the morning peak. Now it is my turn to be the traveller, so I want to make sure I'm not inconveniencing others and have a painless as possible train ride. I'm used to "crush hour" having been on busy Hong Kong/Tokyo metro's, but never with luggage.

Are there any specific carriages that I should look to board or will they all be packed to the rim? Are the trains to penn station double deckers or single deckers? It seems the double deckers might have some space where the stairs/doors are where one could stand with luggage without blocking others.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by robbo135
I am from Australia (Sydney), I catch a train into work everyday and my train goes via the Sydney airport stations. Our trains weren't built to cater to travellers with luggage either so I've had my share of personal space battles with those jumping on with luggage in the morning peak. Now it is my turn to be the traveller, so I want to make sure I'm not inconveniencing others and have a painless as possible train ride. I'm used to "crush hour" having been on busy Hong Kong/Tokyo metro's, but never with luggage.

Are there any specific carriages that I should look to board or will they all be packed to the rim? Are the trains to penn station double deckers or single deckers? It seems the double deckers might have some space where the stairs/doors are where one could stand with luggage without blocking others.
Well, you people there are much more considerate than we are here! The trains are both single and double deckers, you could stand near the door or near the area for the handicapped. No worries mate, or as they say here, fuhgeddaboudit!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui

Well, you people there are much more considerate than we are here! The trains are both single and double deckers, you could stand near the door or near the area for the handicapped. No worries mate, or as they say here, fuhgeddaboudit!
Thanks mate, I'll go with the flow!

I can assure you, not everyone in Sydney is considerate, you get your fair share of rude people and DYKWIA types. I'm no angel myself, but if I expect a certain etiquette from travellers then I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't toe the line when I'm a visitor in someone else's country.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
advice for arrival @ NY Penn

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I doubt you will be the only one taking luggage on the train ... the train likely will be full and you'll have to squeeze in.
I doubt whether UAPremExecflyer has ever been on the NJ Transit service from EWR to NY Penn??
No crowding (yet) at EWR. The crowds board @ Newark, Secaucus Junction - both after EWR.
The real crowding issue is on arrival @ NY Penn. The platforms are narrow, the escalators and stairs are overwhelmed. My advice? Wait on the platform for 5 minutes...........until the crowd clears. By then, you will be able to locate the elevator.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will be fine. You will also not be the only one at the EWR Airtrain stop awaiting to board a NJ Transit train into NYC. If you board toward the front of the train, you will be near the 7th Ave elevator platforms at Penn. If not, there are escalators going up at that hour from both the 8th Ave side and the 7th Ave side — not as many from the middle of the platform.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I doubt whether UAPremExecflyer has ever been on the NJ Transit service from EWR to NY Penn??
No crowding (yet) at EWR. The crowds board @ Newark, Secaucus Junction - both after EWR.
The real crowding issue is on arrival @ NY Penn. The platforms are narrow, the escalators and stairs are overwhelmed. My advice? Wait on the platform for 5 minutes...........until the crowd clears. By then, you will be able to locate the elevator.
I wish you wouldn't make grossly erroneous assumptions
I have taken NJ Transit a couple of times in the past few months on weekdays from EWR into Penn Station ... both times at approx 0800 (8am) ... and the trains on both occasions were absolutely jammers ...
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I landed at 0600 2 years ago and took the bus in front of the terminal into the city (NYC). The bus uses bus only lanes, so we were in midtown really fast. Maybe 25 minutes if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I landed at 0600 2 years ago and took the bus in front of the terminal into the city (NYC). The bus uses bus only lanes, so we were in midtown really fast. Maybe 25 minutes if I recall correctly.
Probably not currently given the 495 "rebuilding"of the crumbling helix that will end who knows when.

For New Jersey Commuters, a Sequel to the ‘Summer of Hell’

June 5, 2018

The elevated highway that connects the New Jersey Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel already is the most traffic-choked stretch of pavement east of Chicago. Now, after decades of patching it up at night and on weekends, the state says the time has come to strip it down and rebuild it.

Or as Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo might warn the hordes of commuters who rely on the tunnel to reach Manhattan: Get ready for more than two years of diabolical torture, starting this summer.

….

The most disruptive work will begin around midsummer, but signs along roads leading to 495 already warn drivers to “PLAN ALT ROUTE.” There’s just one problem with that bit of advice, though. As Mr. Sinclair explained, “it’s a near physical impossibility to find any alternative to that roadway.”

There are no parallel thoroughfares, and the local streets are narrow and congested….
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/n...ln-tunnel.html

We haven't been near it. The brunt is to begin 'midsummer' which is about now? Avoid the Lincoln Tunnel and take the rails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.