Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

New York budget travel guide

Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Hey there!

In march 2018, I explored New York City for my second time and had two full weeks to spare. Now I am sharing my top 10 location tips here for budget travelers trying to avoid places and attractions with entry fees. As you can see in this post, you will still have plenty to do and see!

Hope you like it, any comments and additions to my short list are very welcome

New York City on a Budget

Cheers,
Chris
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You might do better with saying 'for free' rather than 'on a budget'. Budget can and does put many people off and free is always good for anyone!

There were some good suggestion on your list and I wish you'd published it a couple of weeks ago before I visited NYC as I'm always on the lookout for new vantage points.

And whilst many museums do charge many of them do offer free entry one day / night of the week or month - MOMA is free on a Friday evening for example and the Brooklyn Museum is free after 5pm on the first Saturday of the month.

I'd add that Governors island is also free though the ferry is $3 but the first 2/3 ferries on a weekend are free
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'd add that Governors island is also free though the ferry is $3 but the first 2/3 ferries on a weekend are free
You also have NYC Ferry on the East River Route (ER) and South Brooklyn Route (SB) will stop at Governor's Island for just $2.75.You can also transfer from the other routes, just remember to ask for a transfer on board after leaving the pier you board at.
Heck you can just walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for some great views or any of the East River bridges allow pedestrians to walk across (Manhattan, Williamsburg, Queensboro a.k.a 59th Street a.k.a. Ed Koch Bridge)
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:02 pm
hln

Good suggestions

These were some really good suggestions, I will keep this in mind the next time I visit NYC
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The Highline is well known, but a great way to spend time and get great views of NY.
Visit the High Line | Friends of the High Line
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
You'll have time to visit some things off the beaten path.

Hotels can get expensive but if you stay a week outside Manhattan, such as Long Island City (Queens) or even Nassau County, it's cheaper. For example, I saw a motel, maybe the Pines, in Westbury, NY. It was advertised as around $79 per night. The Long Island Railroad, somewhat close by, could get you to Manhattan in about 45 minutes.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
You'll have time to visit some things off the beaten path.

Hotels can get expensive but if you stay a week outside Manhattan, such as Long Island City (Queens) or even Nassau County, it's cheaper. For example, I saw a motel, maybe the Pines, in Westbury, NY. It was advertised as around $79 per night. The Long Island Railroad, somewhat close by, could get you to Manhattan in about 45 minutes.
There's a Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt, NJ (near the Meadowlands) that is two blocks from a NJ Transit bus stop for buses to Manhattan. When there's no traffic, the bus ride can take as little as 20 minutes each way. The hotel charges 20,000 IHG Rewards points per night (when Rewards nights are available). When IHG runs one of its periodic sales on points, you can buy lots of points at a rate equal to $100/20,000 points.

All Holiday Inn Expresses include a complimentary breakfast, and no tax is charged on award stays. So $100/night gets you a room with breakfast on a commuter bus line to Manhattan.

(The property was a better deal when it only charged 15,000 points/night, but that's life. There are a few IHG properties in Northern NJ -- and one on Staten Island -- that still charge just 15,000 points/night, but I don't think they offer as convenient a commute to Manhattan as the Carlstadt property does.)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Many people told me about the highline now, i will certainly check that one out next time im over!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.