Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International to Domestic transfer at EWR with hand luggage only

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up International to Domestic transfer at EWR with hand luggage only

I will be travelling from Delhi to Newark via Air India. My flight is scheduled to reach at 5:30 pm.

My next flight is on Delta (separate ticket), with scheduled departure at 8:30 pm am.

I am an Indian citizen travelling with only hand luggage. This is my first time flying, and I am not very sure about how things work at airports, so I don't want to waste time in mistakenly going through the wrong gates and having to undergo unnecessary, extra security checks or procedures.

Specifically, I am looking for something like a list of steps to follow the moment I get out of the aircraft, for my specific case, because I will not have any checked luggage.

Last edited by dattewayo; Jun 23, 2018 at 9:52 am Reason: wrote pm instead of am by mistake
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dattewayo! Can you let us know what terminals your flights will be arriving into and departing from?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dstan
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dattewayo! Can you let us know what terminals your flights will be arriving into and departing from?
Wouldn't they both have to be Terminal B?
dattewayo likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

The tickets say Terminal B as the destination for Air India and as the source for Delta
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by dattewayo
The tickets say Terminal B as the destination for Air India and as the source for Delta
Here are the basic steps:

1) Fill out landing card distributed by Air India prior to arrival in Newark
2) Get off Air India aircraft
3) All passengers will go to Customs and Border Protection for immigration (you will go to the queue for non-USA/Canada)
4) Get cleared by immigration
5) Next step is go through baggage claim area where you don't need to stop
6) Hand landing card to customs officials at baggage area exit
7) Go upstairs to Delta check-in counter
8) Get boarding pass from Delta (assuming you don't have it already)
9) Go to TSA security screening
10) Proceed to gate

If I messed up some detail, I'm sure others will correct.
dattewayo and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

I am taking the same route back: a Delta flight from DTW to EWR (domestic) and then Air India from EWR to DEL.

Will there be a reverse immigration process for leaving US? Or will the process be similar, except for immigration?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Specifically, I am looking for something like a list of steps to follow the moment I get out of the aircraft, for my specific case, because I will not have any checked luggage.
Walk to immigration. Queue. Get stamped. Walk through baggage claim to the Customs exit. Walk upstairs to DL check-in. Go through TSA. Board plane. Fly.

There is no exit immigration. So you'll leave the gate area at EWR when you arrive back from DTW, check in with AI and then go back through TSA and to the gate.
dattewayo likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I am taking the same route back: a Delta flight from DTW to EWR (domestic) and then Air India from EWR to DEL.

Will there be a reverse immigration process for leaving US? Or will the process be similar, except for immigration?
There is no physical exit immigration in the US. So when you arrive in EWR on your domestic flight you will simply go to the gate for your Air India flight and board. (The gate agent will check your passport to make sure you can enter your destination country).
dattewayo likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

I will already have done web check-in and will have my boarding pass with me. So, does that mean I can straight away go to security check without going to Delta check-in counter while going to the US, and Air India check-in counter while going back to India?
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:27 pm

Thank you!

I will already have done web check-in and will have my boarding pass with me. So, does that mean I can straight away go to security check without going to Delta check-in counter while going to the US, and Air India check-in counter while going back to India?
Once checked in, just go to the gate. Your boarding pass and ID is what you need to get through security.
dattewayo likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If your arrival into EWR is delayed, 3 hours may not be enough.

Where is the Delta flight heading to? Is there any flight after the 830pm one? If not, you may need to overnight in NY/NJ in case you miss the flight.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

@Repooc17

There are flights after that as well. But my ticket is a roundtrip (EWR-DTW and DTW-EWR on a later date). If I miss my EWR-DTW flight, will my DTW-EWR ticket be cancelled as well? The ticket is no-refund and does not allow any changes in flight times.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Once checked in, just go to the gate. Your boarding pass and ID is what you need to get through security.
Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
@Repooc17

There are flights after that as well. But my ticket is a roundtrip (EWR-DTW and DTW-EWR on a later date). If I miss my EWR-DTW flight, will my DTW-EWR ticket be cancelled as well? The ticket is no-refund and does not allow any changes in flight times.
You may want to recheck your flight itinerary, as I don't believe Delta has a flight out of Newark that late in the evening to Detroit. I think the latest flight of the day is around 7pm (1900). Also, I am pretty sure Air India flights from India to Newark arrive in the morning, and not in the evening times.

Generally speaking, if you voluntarily no-show once boarding door has closed, your entire PNR cancels downstream.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You may want to recheck your flight itinerary, as I don't believe Delta has a flight out of Newark that late in the evening to Detroit. I think the latest flight of the day is around 7pm (1900). Also, I am pretty sure Air India flights from India to Newark arrive in the morning, and not in the evening times.

Generally speaking, if you voluntarily no-show once boarding door has closed, your entire PNR cancels downstream.
Oh, I am sorry! I wrote PM instead of AM! Yes, my flights are in the morning.

Just in case I do miss my EWR-DTW flight, is there any way I can stop my DTW-EWR trip from being cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.