Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting around NY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Ah, top tip thank you. Not much in it then depending on these magical tips that I am going to have to get my head around :-)
With NYC taxis it's generally expected that you will add 15-20% (most folks will say 20%) to the base fare (before tolls) for a tip. With Uber/Lyft/Juno there's no real rule. When Uber launched they actually forbade tipping and established a bit of a no-tip culture. But Juno and Lyft tried to compete by being more "driver-friendly," and one way to do that was to offer a tip option in the app, so Uber eventually relented to the stupid American tipping culture (I'm American, but see absolutely zero value and a whole lot of downsides to tipping--service businesses should just charge what they expect to be paid and be done with it all). That said, I don't think the 20% tip is nearly as universal with e-hail services as it is with yellow taxis.

As an aside, in addition to tipping, keep in mind that in US restaurants sales tax isn't included in menu prices. So expect to pay almost 30% more than the prices you see on the menu (just shy of 9% for sales tax in NYC + another 20% on the pre-tax amount for a tip) in sit-down restaurants. At counter-service restaurants tipping is more optional. Again, tipping is really stupid.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by AMflier
You can take the NYC Airporter bus which drops off at Grand Central. Fare is currently $19 o/w , $35 return per person. If it's 2 of you, the cost of a cab isn't that much more and would drop you off at the Dylan.
Thanks I thought I had read that these were no more? Maybe that was at La G.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by themicah
With NYC taxis it's generally expected that you will add 15-20% (most folks will say 20%) to the base fare (before tolls) for a tip. With Uber/Lyft/Juno there's no real rule. When Uber launched they actually forbade tipping and established a bit of a no-tip culture. But Juno and Lyft tried to compete by being more "driver-friendly," and one way to do that was to offer a tip option in the app, so Uber eventually relented to the stupid American tipping culture (I'm American, but see absolutely zero value and a whole lot of downsides to tipping--service businesses should just charge what they expect to be paid and be done with it all). That said, I don't think the 20% tip is nearly as universal with e-hail services as it is with yellow taxis.

As an aside, in addition to tipping, keep in mind that in US restaurants sales tax isn't included in menu prices. So expect to pay almost 30% more than the prices you see on the menu (just shy of 9% for sales tax in NYC + another 20% on the pre-tax amount for a tip) in sit-down restaurants. At counter-service restaurants tipping is more optional. Again, tipping is really stupid.
Quite - it is daunting to visitors and can only result in one of two things:

1) Offence
2) Paying too much
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:44 am

Quite - it is daunting to visitors and can only result in one of two things:

1) Offence
2) Paying too much
It can also result in worse service for visitors, as service workers often assume that visitors won't tip well and therefore aren't worth the effort.

The same effect occurs with American ethnic/racial groups that are stereotyped as being bad tippers--there have been studies showing that they get worse service in restaurants, for example. And it contributes to ethnic/racial/gender discrimination in the other direction, too, as there is a mountain of evidence that people tip white service people more generously than minority service workers, and women service workers are less likely to report or address sexual harassment for fear of losing tips.

Inertia is the only reason tipping still exists.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
It can also result in worse service for visitors, as service workers often assume that visitors won't tip well and therefore aren't worth the effort.

The same effect occurs with American ethnic/racial groups that are stereotyped as being bad tippers--there have been studies showing that they get worse service in restaurants, for example. And it contributes to ethnic/racial/gender discrimination in the other direction, too, as there is a mountain of evidence that people tip white service people more generously than minority service workers, and women service workers are less likely to report or address sexual harassment for fear of losing tips.

Inertia is the only reason tipping still exists.
Some interesting points there, maybe I will redress the balance a little on my trip
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Thanks I thought I had read that these were no more? Maybe that was at La G.
It still runs but only at limited times, between 11am and 4 pm. Best bet for two with luggage is the flat rate taxi .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.