Urgent Advice: LGA- JFK Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Advice: LGA- JFK Connection

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Exclamation Urgent Advice: LGA- JFK Connection

Moderator note - originally posted to AA forum - issue resolved but thread now archived in NYC Forum

Hi everyone,

Urgently looking into last minute itinerary for tomorrow (31st)

Using Uber is this connection doable: Arrive LGA 8:05pm - drive via uber to JFK for 10:10pm international departure?

No checked bags, really appreciate your help.

Last edited by dstan; May 31, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 5:58 pm

check waze and google maps right now and see drive time
Old May 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Tight but doable, assuming the flight into LGA is on time (never a given). Keep in mind you'll need to make sure you're checked-in on the international at your initial location.

I'd go for a Taxi instead of ride share - the taxi rank is right next to the terminal at LGA, while you have to bus (5-10 minutes) to the ride share area. Google shows about 30 minutes driving time right now (8:00pm ET).

Good luck!
Old May 30, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I would definitely NOT attempt this itinerary, especially since it violates MCT, which is 4 hours on a Domestic to Int'l AA to AA LGA to JFK itinerary; ie AA won't sell this as a through-ticket. This means if anything goes wrong you will probably be out of luck on separate itineraries (marked no show and forfeit the international ticket). Rain is in the forecast for most of the day for the NYC area so there may be weather delays. Is there any way for you to fly into JFK?

From Expert Flyer: AA-AA DI 4.00 FLT 1 - 9099 - FLT 1 - 9099
INTER LGA - JFK

Last edited by lds89; May 30, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Are two flights on a single PNR?

With no traffic, it's roughly a 30 minutes ride
Old May 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lds89
I would definitely NOT attempt this itinerary, especially since it violates MCT, which is 4 hours on a Domestic to Int'l AA to AA LGA to JFK itinerary; ie AA won't sell this as a through-ticket. This means if anything goes wrong you will probably be out of luck on separate itineraries (marked no show and forfeit the international ticket). Rain is in the forecast for most of the day for the NYC area so there may be weather delays. Is there any way for you to fly into JFK?

From Expert Flyer: AA-AA DI 4.00 FLT 1 - 9099 - FLT 1 - 9099
INTER LGA - JFK
That's interesting, because LGA-JFK AA-QF D-D the MCT is only 2 hours (I booked this connection for later in the year, at first with a 2:45 connection increased to 3:45 on advice of an agent). I get it's domestic rather than international, but the check in time is the least of your worries on that connection.
SK likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
That's interesting, because LGA-JFK AA-QF D-D the MCT is only 2 hours (I booked this connection for later in the year, at first with a 2:45 connection increased to 3:45 on advice of an agent). I get it's domestic rather than international, but the check in time is the least of your worries on that connection.
That is interesting. I looked it up and you're right. How weird. Still doesn't change that OP would be breaking AA MCT for D to I LGA to JFK if they attempt this connection and so they do so at their own risk.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a last minute ticket, OP might be buying FULL Y or FULL J, so it can be rebooked or refunded for free. Hence that part of the risk would be eliminated. However, I suspect that the LGA to JFK is the only available routing and it might be an emergency, so OP might not have much choice.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Traffic may be the primary factor.

Assuming on-time arrival at LGA, even in Y, it should be a quick exit out of the terminal. Hand luggage makes things easier.

At JFK, assuming the OP has TSA Pre and has BP already, the airport experience should not be too bad. Departing on an international flight is not that much different than a domestic flight.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Thanks for the responses. Looks like its a hard one. Though if traffic really is only 30 mins then seems doable. No risk to me as fully flex, but on different PNR. The only inconvenience would be having to overnight in NY because I miss the flight.

Is Uber not easy from LGA? Someone said something about taking a bus. That seems time consuming.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CX828
Hi everyone,

Urgently looking into last minute itinerary for tomorrow (31st)

Using Uber is this connection doable: Arrive LGA 8:05pm - drive via uber to JFK for 10:10pm international departure?

No checked bags, really appreciate your help.
Hopefully the 10:10pm isn't to LHR, which is the last flight of the night. If you missed that it's unlikely they would rebook you onto the only alternative (the 11:30pm BA), at best you would be looking at a next day departure (if they were to even agree to rebook).

I wouldn't risk this - aside from the traffic risk, there's also a high possibility of a delayed arrival into LGA.

Do you have TSA Pre or OWE? If not, even more reason this could be disastrous when you have to navigate JFK security.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Traffic may be the primary factor.

Assuming on-time arrival at LGA, even in Y, it should be a quick exit out of the terminal. Hand luggage makes things easier.

At JFK, assuming the OP has TSA Pre and has BP already, the airport experience should not be too bad. Departing on an international flight is not that much different than a domestic flight.
Doesn't this depend somewhat on details such as the OP's destination, passport, and whether a visa is needed? If OP needs to show travel documents to an AA agent, there's likely a deadline even if the OP does OLCI and has no bag to check.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
Hopefully the 10:10pm isn't to LHR, which is the last flight of the night. If you missed that it's unlikely they would rebook you onto the only alternative (the 11:30pm BA), at best you would be looking at a next day departure (if they were to even agree to rebook).

I wouldn't risk this - aside from the traffic risk, there's also a high possibility of a delayed arrival into LGA.

Do you have TSA Pre or OWE? If not, even more reason this could be disastrous when you have to navigate JFK security.
OP says that it will be a fully flexible ticket, so AA should rebook to last seat availability, at least under the AA codeshare flight number for flights operated by a JV partner. Worst case would be that OP refunds the ticket and purchases a new international ticket for the next day, assuming that there isn't some cancellation deadline for the ticket that OP also misses.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Taxi or Uber, from LGA Terminal B, will require getting a bus.
My advice would be to pre-book a yellow cab, in which case the line is right by the terminal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't this depend somewhat on details such as the OP's destination, passport, and whether a visa is needed? If OP needs to show travel documents to an AA agent, there's likely a deadline even if the OP does OLCI and has no bag to check.
Those details would be helpful, but if the OP can get a boarding pass prior to arriving at JFK, then docs check would be reviewed during the boarding process, generally. If the OP cannot get a boarding pass, then docs verification would need to happen at the check-in area before security.

If the OP can get to JFK before 9pm*, then the rest would be manageable.

*more than an hour before departure time, so check-in would still be open for INTL flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.