Urgent Advice: LGA- JFK Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Advice: LGA- JFK Connection

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
When I've had this kind of situation a better alternative option is to look at other carriers that would fly from your origin to JFK so you can just jump on the airtrain which is about 15 minutes to any terminal.
The sad truth is that with a possible long walk up a JFK concourse, plus hike to AirTrain, etc., that intraterminal transfer starting at the arrival gate can take as much as 25 minutes, and a fast taxi from LGA to JFK T7 can take as little as 30 minutes, so... not much in it, really.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by BearX220
The sad truth is that with a possible long walk up a JFK concourse, plus hike to AirTrain, etc., that intraterminal transfer starting at the arrival gate can take as much as 25 minutes, and a fast taxi from LGA to JFK T7 can take as little as 30 minutes, so... not much in it, really.
Yes but ... in an almost worst case scenario, with precheck, it can take 25-30 minutes to transfer between terminals at JFK but its generally reliable. In a perfect scenario, at 3 AM, assuming no traffic or construction, it can take 30 minutes in a taxi from LGA to JFK. On the other hand, I've had it take a couple of hours when I'm driving. So, JFK transfer between airlines is always more reliable.

As for the LGA to JFK plan, I can certainly see it working -- it probably will on most days -- but I think it is unpredictable from an accident, unpredictable flooding of the roadway, etc. I haven't used the new Uber location but the taxi setup at LGA is a disaster on many days. Hundreds of taxis in line in the holding lot waiting for hours while there can be a couple of hundred passengers in line waiting an hour for a taxi on many days. It could be a great HBR/Wharton study on a market imbalance even when there is high levels of both supply and demand separated by 500 feet and horrible mismanagement.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
At 8PM on Friday, I've spent 40 mins going from LGA -> Van Wyck (which I blame it on Brooklyn people & their Jackie Robinson Pkwy) and another 40 mins going from Van Wyck -> JFK (which I blame it on Brooklyn people going to Long Island).

End result for me was to buy a walk-up fare (on a $500 JFK-ZRH ticket) & pay the fare difference of $4,000. I cried for two weeks after that day
Old May 31, 2018, 9:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I drive on the Van Wyck Expressway 4 days a week, even as late as 10 pm traffic inches along = huge delays. [The VW has been in a perpetual state of construction for the last 15 years...as soon as one project is finished they begin a new one.]
Yes at 5 am (when the overnight phase is complete) you can do LGA-JFK in 20 minutes...other hours count on 40+ minutes.
PS: Lefferts Blvd. (the route of the Q10) is a super alternate for getting to JFK,
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Good Morning everyone - I have decided against attempting this. Instead will be flying Friday. I just think the stress it will put on me will be too much! I think when I include the time it will take to de-board from first plane etc... its just not much time.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:19 am

As someone who lives halfway between the two airports and sees and hears the traffic helicopters from my home I am very much relieved you decided not to do this.

Post # 33 and 34 accurately laid out the reality of the traffic- and it can be worse!
Old May 31, 2018, 10:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CX828
Good Morning everyone - I have decided against attempting this. Instead will be flying Friday. I just think the stress it will put on me will be too much! I think when I include the time it will take to de-board from first plane etc... its just not much time.
I think that was a good move today, because of the weather. There hasn’t been much rain, but visibility has been quite poor.

Currently, EWR and JFK are seeing arrival delays of around 2 hours, and for LGA it’s currentl at about 1 hour
Old May 31, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

Great choice...

If I was a mayor/governor, I'd install a metal pike between the 1st & 2nd lane @ VW to make it an airport only lane, but I can only dream
Old May 31, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Wow... glad I didn't do this looking at those roads! Although flight I would have taken looks like it was on time
Old May 31, 2018, 4:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Glad this has been resolved. As this topic involves a landside transfer in NYC, we will now archive it over in that forum (where this topic has been discussed numerous times as well).

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.