Search

Staying overnight at JFK airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA
Staying overnight at JFK airport?

Hey,

So I am arriving at JFK 9pm from Incheon, South Korea then catching a DL flight in T4 at 9am next day. I am thinking of just staying at either T4 or T2 while waiting for 5am or which ever time the earliest I could check my luggage since, I have 2 check in luggage though.

What is the earliest time I can check in my luggage with DL at either terminal?

And is it even permitted to stay in JFK departure areas either in Terminal 2 or Terminal 4 (pre security for 10- 12hours) before my flight? Is there any place one could wait out for the time being?

Last edited by jacobus; May 24, 2018 at 1:30 am
Old May 24, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jacobus
Hey,

So I am arriving at JFK 9pm from Incheon, South Korea then catching a DL flight in T4 at 9am next day. I am thinking of just staying at either T4 or T2 while waiting for 5am or which ever time the earliest I could check my luggage since, I have 2 check in luggage though.

What is the earliest time I can check in my luggage with DL at either terminal?

And is it even permitted to stay in JFK departure areas either in Terminal 2 or Terminal 4 (pre security for 10- 12hours) before my flight? Is there any place one could wait out for the time being?
Someone else can answer your question specific to JFK airport but is there a reason why you're not simply checking your luggage through to the final destination?
Old May 24, 2018, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's KE to DL, especially if you have a single ticket, it should be easy to check bags through to your destination. T4 and T2 makes me suspect that these are the airlines involved.

Check the sleepinginairports website.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Someone else can answer your question specific to JFK airport but is there a reason why you're not simply checking your luggage through to the final destination?
my Tickets are separate. Is it possible to check my luggage through?
Old May 24, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jacobus

my Tickets are separate. Is it possible to check my luggage through?
KE and DL are SkyTeam partners. Just call KE and ask them to link the two reservations which is a good idea as both airlines can know where you are during the trip. Upon check-in, the KE airport people *should* be able to check the luggage all the way through. Of course you still have to claim it at JFK customs but upon exit it can go straight to the DL transfer belt.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

KE and DL are SkyTeam partners. Just call KE and ask them to link the two reservations which is a good idea as both airlines can know where you are during the trip. Upon check-in, the KE airport people *should* be able to check the luggage all the way through. Of course you still have to claim it at JFK customs but upon exit it can go straight to the DL transfer belt.
I could most probably do that. I will call KE a few days before my flight. What would I need to tell them though? And since, I do have luggage and I think I have 2 checked luggage free since I am flying FC with delta from jfk to syr.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:32 pm

There's no such thing as "linked" reservations. Maybe the agent will add the manual notes but no guarantees. And even if they do it doesn't really change the airline obligations with respect to the tickets.

Through-checking a bag is likely possible but not a guarantee. Many airlines don't check bags through across separate tickets, even for partner airlines. Some don't even do it for their own flights.

Also, @jacobus, you're asking the same question multiple times in multiple threads. That's generally frowned upon in this community. You're getting correct answers. Maybe not the ones you want, but they are accurate. "Fishing" for better info by posting it more times isn't going to work so well.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
There's no such thing as "linked" reservations. Maybe the agent will add the manual notes but no guarantees. And even if they do it doesn't really change the airline obligations with respect to the tickets.

Through-checking a bag is likely possible but not a guarantee. Many airlines don't check bags through across separate tickets, even for partner airlines. Some don't even do it for their own flights.

Also, @jacobus, you're asking the same question multiple times in multiple threads. That's generally frowned upon in this community. You're getting correct answers. Maybe not the ones you want, but they are accurate. "Fishing" for better info by posting it more times isn't going to work so well.
Yes, they often can "link" two reservations but maybe they are simply cross-reference notes in their reservations systems. I've had it done for me though I don't recall which airlines. Also, I made no reference to a guarantee that KE will check the bags all the way through. However, they most certainly won't if the OP doesn't ask them to.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC KE uses T1 at JFK, which is international airlines, including a number of SkyTeam members. DL uses T2 and T4, which also have some of DL's partners, plus T4 includes a bunch of additional international airlines. T2 and T4 are connected airside by a shuttle bus operated by DL called something like the JFK Jitney. However, T1 is not connected airside to either T2 OT T4. To go between them, you can walk outside between the buildings (upon exiting T1, follow the curt to the left and keep going, or from T2 to T1, take the rightmost exit, go to your right and stay on the edge of the roadway to the next building. Alternatively, there's a free little train that circles around the terminals.

However, if you arrive on one day and fly out the next (assuming it's not a flight that departs shortly after midnight), TSA airport security is likely to refuse to let you go airside until the day of your departing flight. So with an evening arrival, you would be stuck landside until about 4 am the next day. If you can't check your bags through, I don't think there will be a DL baggage/service counter when you exit customs (as opposed to the bag drop for bags that are already tagged for their next destination), so you would also have to keep the luggage with you until the DL check in counters open the following morning, maybe at about 4 am. If you have a domestic ticket (whether or not in FC) DL won't let you leave checked bags with them the day before your flight--technically, I think the rule is that you can't check a bag any earlier than four hours before your scheduled departure time. There might be baggage lockers or a baggage storage service at JFK; others here might know this, and if it's a staffed service, what the operating hours are.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:23 pm

Yes, they often can "link" two reservations but maybe they are simply cross-reference notes in their reservations systems.
It is a manual note added in the SSR (Special Services Request) field in the PNR. It doesn't actually do anything other than have a note in the text field. There is no real value to that link.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC KE uses T1 at JFK, which is international airlines, including a number of SkyTeam members. DL uses T2 and T4,...However, T1 is not connected airside to either T2 OT T4.
It doesn't matter that they are not connected airside as jacobus will have to clear immigration and customs at JFK and will be landside at T1 when that's complete.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There might be baggage lockers or a baggage storage service at JFK; others here might know this, and if it's a staffed service, what the operating hours are.
There is storage at T1/4/8 last I checked. There's another thread in here somewhere about that.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:50 am

It is a manual note added in the SSR (Special Services Request) field in the PNR. It doesn't actually do anything other than have a note in the text field. There is no real value to that link.

That is wrong or at least wrong in some cases. I have absolutely been able to check a bag through to a final destination on two separate tickets that were "linked" by whatever means the airline used.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That is wrong or at least wrong in some cases. I have absolutely been able to check a bag through to a final destination on two separate tickets that were "linked" by whatever means the airline used.
That may be the case, but that doesn’t mean the statement you quoted is incorrect.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Which airlines (and when) because that matters.

QR for example will interline to separate tickets e.g. QR>BA/AA but BA/AA won't in the reverse direction

A couple of years ago both BA and AA would happily interline on separate but no longer.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:43 pm

Interline baggage check (what you describe as "check a bag through") has nothing to do with "linked" reservations in the context of calling in advance and getting notes made on the booking. And just because an interline agreement exists doesn't mean the airlines must perform such. It is a policy decision on top of an ability question. I'm also pretty sure there are no DL representatives in T1 to accept the bag after jacobus arrives in JFK. There might be a re-check belt but because all departures there are international there might not be.

I'm not 100% certain what the experience will be, but based on my time at JFK I'd at least have a plan going in to the trip that includes holding the bags in some form rather than immediately checking them onward.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:22 am

Interline baggage check (what you describe as "check a bag through") has nothing to do with "linked" reservations in the context of calling in advance and getting notes made on the booking. And just because an interline agreement exists doesn't mean the airlines must perform such. It is a policy decision on top of an ability question. I'm also pretty sure there are no DL representatives in T1 to accept the bag after jacobus arrives in JFK. There might be a re-check belt but because all departures there are international there might not be.

I'm not 100% certain what the experience will be, but based on my time at JFK I'd at least have a plan going in to the trip that includes holding the bags in some form rather than immediately checking them onward.
I agree... there are no guarantees on how this will be handled and I don't think I ever made such a statement. What I did advise is calling KE to get the ball rolling because the more you do up front, the more likely you can get that bag interlined/checked though on two separate tickets. That they are SkyTeam kissing cousins can only help.

Also, there has to be an appropriate baggage transfer belt in T1 otherwise you couldn't check a bag from Seoul to Syracuse on KE/DL on a single ticket.

Lastly, here's an FT thread where people claim they successfully transferred bags from DL to KE on separate tickets:

Delta - Korean Interline Luggage on Split Ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.