Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Where is the Port of NY?

Sailing on Norwegian Escape May 27 to Bermuda
Old May 17, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You should ask your travel agent / cruise company which dock you need to present your self at.

There really isn’t a single location called the Port of New York
Old May 17, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Port of New York is actually a large area, not all interconnected, operated by the Port of New York and New Jersey authority: A link to a map of the region showing the Port is on PANYNJ's website:

Port of New York and New Jersey - About the Port
Old May 17, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just googled "Norwegian Port of NY" and found it under the first link that came up. Driving directions and tons of info.

Captain Obvious over and out.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There really isn’t a single location called the Port of New York
That is true, but there is a single area where the cruise ships depart in Manhattan. (There also are cruise ship terminals in Brooklyn and New Jersey, but the major cruises leave from the Manhattan terminal).

https://www.panynj.gov/port/cruise-terminals.html
Old May 18, 2018, 5:53 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Not sure what a "major" cruise is, but Princess and some others never sail from Manhattan.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Your travel documents should have specific information on the port.....
Old May 18, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Not sure what a "major" cruise is, but Princess and some others never sail from Manhattan.
Not 100% true, there have been one or two conflicts between Princess and Cunard so Princess went to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal instead of Brooklyn with the slightly smaller ship.

There are three cruise ports in NY Metro area most cruise lines include "Norwegian " which is NCL or Norwegian Cruise Line sails from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The official address is not the address of Pier where NCL sails from is 711 12th Ave which is the northernmost Pier 92 of the three piers. NCL will likely sail from Pier 88 the southernmost next to the Intrepid Air and Space Museum. All three piers can be in use depending on how many ships are calling. There is a schedule on the website for Brooklyn and Manhattan since they are operated by the same company.

Pier 88 is at 12th Ave and W 48th St, 90 is at W 50th and 92 (rarely used) W 52nd.

Web Address: https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal can only handle one ship, primarily Princess and Cunard sail from here.

Finally over in Bayonne New Jersey is the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, primarily Royal Caribbean and Celebrity
Old May 18, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, "major" isn't really that hard to define, but you are correct that many major ships do NOT sail from Manhattan. There's at least one Royal Caribbean cruse from Bayonne.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Doesn't Cunard's Queen Mary 2 dock at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?
Old May 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes, much to the chagrin of many of its passengers when they see where it is and what is available around it before and after cruises for entertainment, food & drink. Uber drivers on the other hand love it.

Originally Posted by Analise
Old May 20, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
That is true, but there is a single area where the cruise ships depart in Manhattan. (There also are cruise ship terminals in Brooklyn and New Jersey, but the major cruises leave from the Manhattan terminal).

https://www.panynj.gov/port/cruise-terminals.html
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, "major" isn't really that hard to define, but you are correct that many major ships do NOT sail from Manhattan. There's at least one Royal Caribbean cruse from Bayonne.
I stand (humbly) corrected.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Yes, much to the chagrin of many of its passengers when they see where it is and what is available around it before and after cruises for entertainment, food & drink.
Lots of great options on Van Brunt St. in Red Hook, an easy walk away. The Good Fork is a particular favorite of mine, as are the Jalopy Tavern and the adjacent Jalopy Theater (not on Van Brunt, but still, I think, an easy walk from the cruise terminal).
Old May 20, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Redacted
Old May 20, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You're not wrong that there are good places, I spend a decent amount of time in that general area since I live in Brooklyn, but for tourists that port isn't as picturesque as many expect it to be. Walking a few blocks with luggage from a cruise isn't the most ideal of situations.

Originally Posted by Blumie
Lots of great options on Van Brunt St. in Red Hook, an easy walk away. The Good Fork is a particular favorite of mine, as are the Jalopy Tavern and the adjacent Jalopy Theater (not on Van Brunt, but still, I think, an easy walk from the cruise terminal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.