Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the Port of NY?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
You're not wrong that there are good places, I spend a decent amount of time in that general area since I live in Brooklyn, but for tourists that port isn't as picturesque as many expect it to be. Walking a few blocks with luggage from a cruise isn't the most ideal of situations.
Fair points, but still these probably are better options than anything within a 10-minute walk of the Manhattan cruise terminal. (And picturesque is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. I happen to really like Red Hook.)
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Since reading this stuff this morning I texted a few friends and we're off to hometown for some bbq and a few drinks at Sunny's (a place I love to hate since the service almost always sucks but I love a good dive bar) in a bit. Red Hook is a great area but the dock for the QM2 is a working freight dock vs a cruise port so most will hop in a car to head to the Times Square Olive Garden instead.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Red Hook is a great area but the dock for the QM2 is a working freight dock vs a cruise port so most will hop in a car to head to the Times Square Olive Garden instead.
No doubt you're right about that. Even at its Chelsea location (6th Ave between 22nd and 23rd), it's depressing how busy the Olive Garden always is.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
No doubt you're right about that. Even at its Chelsea location (6th Ave between 22nd and 23rd), it's depressing how busy the Olive Garden always is.
That branch closed a couple years ago.

The Outback around the corner is still in business.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused why the area around the port matters for anything. The dock is for getting on and off the ship. Why would anyone need or want to hang around? Upon embarkation you want to get on the ship as fast as possible so you can get started on your beverage package and the buffet toot sweet.
Upon disembarkation you get in a car/taxi/whatever with your luggage and go to your next destination - home or the airport (or I guess the Olive Garden??).

I have never explored a cruise terminal, not in Manhattan, not in Miami, not in Ft. Lauderdale. FWIW, I get to see Bayonne for the first time later this summer.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
@ijgordon, it's mostly an ascetics thing. If you've just spent thousands and many days crossing the Atlantic in luxury and then pull into a more industrial shipping terminal with a view of southern Manhattan instead of being in Manhattan it can be a letdown. As many people have a few hours between a mid morning arrival and a late afternoon flight if you walk off the pier and see a string of interesting looking shops and stores it is a nice alternative to the Olive Garden or just heading to the airport.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by frfl37
Sailing on Norwegian Escape May 27 to Bermuda
The NCL site shows the pier info
It is in Manhattan.. 711 12th Avenue New York, New York 10019
https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-p...ing-directions

On the Escape, I like to alternate between the sauna, steam room, and snow room.My first trip on Escape was the maiden TATL from Southampton to Miami in Oct/Nov 2015
I like the speedy water slides where the bottom drops from under you
Old May 23, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
The NCL site shows the pier info It is in Manhattan.. 711 12th Avenue New York, New York 10019
That is the mailing address of the Port offices which is actually Pier 92 the third pier (most north) and very rarely used through this week several Navy ships will be docked there.
This is also the vehicle entrance for parking and drop off at the 2nd level of all three piers. Though if you are being dropped off and can cross 12th ave with our luggage I suggest for NCL being dropped off at 12th Ave and W 48th Street. There is a median on 12th Ave so you don't have to cross 6 lanes in one cycle of the light. This gets you out of the heavy traffic and short turn cycle at W 52nd Street. You can give your bags to the porter at street level and then the elevator up to the 2nd floor for departure.

NCL uses Pier 88, Carnival Pier 90 for the most part and Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is Pier 86, right next door.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ijgordon, it's mostly an ascetics thing. If you've just spent thousands and many days crossing the Atlantic in luxury and then pull into a more industrial shipping terminal with a view of southern Manhattan instead of being in Manhattan it can be a letdown. As many people have a few hours between a mid morning arrival and a late afternoon flight if you walk off the pier and see a string of interesting looking shops and stores it is a nice alternative to the Olive Garden or just heading to the airport.
What do they do with their luggage?!?!

To each his own, I guess, but I've still never felt the need to walk around a port after a cruise (to be fair, I've never done a crossing, and I usually time my flights to minimize downtime), so I'm still struggling to comprehend this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Lots of great options on Van Brunt St. in Red Hook, an easy walk away. The Good Fork is a particular favorite of mine, as are the Jalopy Tavern and the adjacent Jalopy Theater (not on Van Brunt, but still, I think, an easy walk from the cruise terminal).
Pok Pok, NY is not too far either. Great thai food.

-David
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Found the Norwegian port in NYC. 55th? and 12th.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by frfl37
Found the Norwegian port in NYC. 55th? and 12th.
NCL Ships Dock at Pier 88 which is at 12th Ave and W 48th Street.

Manhattan cruise terminal is comprised of 3 piers 88/90/92 and the official address is 711 12th Ave, New York, NY 10019 which is the northernmost Pier 92 and the vehicle entrance. Pedestrians can be dropped on the uptown side of 12th Ave and cross the street at the pier of their ship without having to wait in traffic if coming from downtown and if they can handle their own luggage.

Port operator direction page, click on the mode of transport: https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/directions/
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Yes, much to the chagrin of many of its passengers when they see where it is and what is available around it before and after cruises for entertainment, food & drink. Uber drivers on the other hand love it.
We will be arriving Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and staying at Intercontinental Times Square. Is Uber a good choice for transport?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnggng
We will be arriving Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and staying at Intercontinental Times Square. Is Uber a good choice for transport?
Yes, that seems like a good bet. Traffic could be maddening, especially if your ship docks on a weekday morning, but I suspect you'll be laden with luggage, and public transportation is not great in that area, so you might as well grin and bear it in the comfort of an uber. If you arrive on a weekend morning, you should cruise to the Intercontinental from there (pun intended).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Thanks Blumie. We arrive on a Saturday, so we should be golden.
Would you choose Uber over a traditional cab? I'm not sure if it is similar to other ports with lots of taxis lined up and waiting. We also will have 5 passengers with luggage to complicate things.

Thanks again for your reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.