Search

Advice and how early should I arrive at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA
Advice and how early should I arrive at JFK

Hello,

I am planning to arrive in JFK from an international Flight with KE on a Saturday night it arrives around 9pm. How busy is CBP during these times, and at most 1 to 1hr 30mins enough, since I will be getting a hotel for a night to catch a 9am DL flight to SYR the next day? I am not a Citizen or a PR with no Global Entry or anything. I also do not hold an ESTA.

I would also like to ask for my flight to SYR it leaves 9am on a Sunday, should I arrive 2hrs 30mins to 3 hours before flight? Since, I heard that JFK T2 had long lines for security? Is it that bad even on a Sunday morning?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The good news is that the KE flights is the first in the series of international arrivals in to JFK Terminal 1 for that time period. AF & DW are scheduled to arrival 20-60 minutes after. The downside is those flights can arrive early putting them on par with the KE flight. The KE flight is also an A380s worth of passengers many of which will not have ESTAs making your wait time longer. Ideally you'd be in & out in 45 minutes but up to 2+ hours is possible.

For the morning flight, are you checking luggage? On a Sunday morning with checked baggage I'd still think 90 minutes is plenty. Good luck riding the CRJ-200 aka the Devil's Chariot.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. KE flight arrives around 9pm.
For the Morning flight with Delta, I do have 2 checked luggage and a backpack as a hand carry. I checked it on Delta it says its on a CRJ900 hopefully thay does not change. So 2 hours is enough time? But to be safe maybe I should arrive by 6am lol
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jacobus
So 2 hours is enough time?
Yes.
But to be safe maybe I should arrive by 6am lol
Only if you REALLY want to sit in a mediocre airport terminal. Are you sure it is T2 and not T4?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Its a Domestic Flight to syR isnt it suppose to be in t2??
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I checked a few dates and they all were T4 B gate departures. T4 security is pretty good in mornings and has the more updated scanning systems which help speed things up. The B-50+ gates are far down the terminal but still doable within 90 minutes with buffer time.
Hopefully you do get a CRJ-900 instead of the CRJ-200.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thats good to hear then. I do hope i get the crj900s. So T4 it is
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can still clear in T2 and take the Jitney bus to T4B if you think the T4 lines are going to be worse than T2, but I would expect T4 departure given the dedicated RJ gates at the end of the concourse.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Based on experience, Which is the best Terminal with the best TSA lines at around 7am T2 or T4?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your arrival into JFK is irrelevant because you are headed to a hotel and because as a non-USN holding a non VWP passport, it is possible that your immigration experience will be a good deal longer.

On departure, two hours is a good 30 minutes longer than you will need even with checked luggage and no Pre-Check.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks. KE flight arrives around 9pm.
For the Morning flight with Delta, I do have 2 checked luggage and a backpack as a hand carry. I checked it on Delta it says its on a CRJ900 hopefully thay does not change. So 2 hours is enough time? But to be safe maybe I should arrive by 6am lol
Are both flights on a single ticket? Will your checked baggage be checked through to SYR? If so, then you might be able to drop the checked bags at the bag drop after Customs, and not have to worry about re-checking them in the morning. (This assumes that you will have everything you need for your overnight in your carry-on bag.)
Old May 1, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are both flights on a single ticket? Will your checked baggage be checked through to SYR? If so, then you might be able to drop the checked bags at the bag drop after Customs, and not have to worry about re-checking them in the morning. (This assumes that you will have everything you need for your overnight in your carry-on bag.)

Actually they are on separate tickets. One with KE, one with DL plannin on getting First class RT.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Actually they are on separate tickets. One with KE, one with DL plannin on getting First class RT.
I don't know what KE's policy is on through-checking baggage on separate tickets to another SkyTeam carrier, but if you would like to through-check the bags, I would ask at the KE check-in counter at ICN. Be sure to bring a print-out of your DL ticket if you opt to do so.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to check through my luggage given I arrive 9pm at JFK then fly out JFK to SYR at 9am?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am not a Citizen or a PR with no Global Entry or anything. I also do not hold an ESTA.
Not sure what your citizenship is, but you'll need either an ESTA or a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.