Wiki Posts
Search

Driving from EWR to Midtown East @ 5 pm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Driving from EWR to Midtown East @ 5 pm

I will be in the not-so-enviable position of driving from EWR to 49th & 1st (Beekman Place) next week, renting a car at EWR and leaving around 5 pm. Obviously, I don’t need the car in Manhattan but I’m headed to rural Pennsylvania the next day so need the car there.

What is generally the best route at rush hour? Holland Tunnel to West Street to FDR would avoid crosstown traffic in midtown, but it’s a bit out of the way and I’m sure the FDR is plenty congested that time of day as well. Google Maps suggests going crosstown from the Lincoln on 36th Street, and then up 1st. I am a former Manhattan resident so very comfortable driving in the city, but I know congestion gets worse and worse as time passes.

I would also consider leaving the car in NJ and using train or ferry options, but Beekman Place is a long walk from any subways so I doubt mass transit would save any time. NJ Transit to Penn, then the E train to 53rd & Lex would be one option, I suppose.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:04 pm

I presume you have considered this, but just in case - why not start your rental from Manhattan the next day?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Rentals originating in Manhattan are over $100 per day, plus possible one-way rates and/or drop fees. It still may make economical sense after tolls and parking to do as you suggest, but then again, not.

If the OP does the ferry, there is a free NY Waterways shuttle from the 39th Street terminal that goes crosstown on 50th Street as far as Lexington Ave.

The inbound Holland isn't that bad in the afternoon; I'd suggest doing that and seeing how Waze gets you the rest of the way. My current favorite crosstown street under Central Park is 23rd which doesn't allow left turns onto the majority of the avenues.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inbound Lincoln can be *awful* during the PM rush, *especially* so on Fridays. Holland probably is the better option, but after that I'd probably rely on Google Maps or Waze. FDR would normally be fastest, I imagine, but that can get very backed up too, but possibly won't be too bad further South.

Any way, it will probably be a hassle. An alternative could be to park at Journal Square in Jersey City and take PATH in to Herald Square and then M train to 53rd/Lex. But would still probably do the cost analysis of renting from Manhattan the next day. (And driving into Manhattan will incur the hefty toll on the Hudson crossing inbound).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What is the cost differential for a pickup in Manhattan and drop off wherever it is that you are dropping off anyway? I would check not just convenient Midtown East locations, but others which are easily accessible by Subway?

You can then do the math to determine the value of your time + parking + stress of the drive you are planning. Not only will the drive be slow, but if you are not used to the lane changes and super-aggressive drivers, it may take a lot longer than long.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The best route will vary from day to day. The best route on any given day is whichever route Waze tells you to go.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
all things being equally bad, I would take the Holland, then down on West Side Highway and jump onto the FDR through the tunnel. Depending on traffic conditions the Lincoln may be better though.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I will be in the not-so-enviable position of driving from EWR to 49th & 1st (Beekman Place) next week, renting a car at EWR and leaving around 5 pm….

What is generally the best route at rush hour? Holland Tunnel to West Street to FDR would avoid crosstown traffic in midtown, but it’s a bit out of the way and I’m sure the FDR is plenty congested that time of day as well.
We park our car over there and, typically, we go the above route you described. Assuming no accidents or construction, this route can actually be quicker than taking the Lincoln Tunnel and heading due east. It will not be pleasant however. Pay attention to the traffic on google maps and/or Waze and decide at the time. I hope you're traveling on a Monday as opposed to a Thurs or Fri.

Where are you parking the rental car? There are no garages on Beekman but there is one on E 50th b/w 1st Ave & Beekman & one on E 51st b/w Beekman & 1st Ave. When you consider tolls (Turnpike & Tunnel) and parking, you might want to revisit renting from midtown. It will be SO much easier taking public transport into the city than driving at that hour. Just a thought.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:16 pm

Not EWR but coming across from Jersey the Holland approaches are a little better in the afternoon and that Google Maps route is only good outside of the afternoon peak. The main issue taking the FDR up to midtown are the exits at that time of the evening. Quite often the 42nd and 34th street exits are backed back onto the FDR itself. 1st Ave may be an option if FDR traffic is heavy.

Parking wise 1st and 2nd have meter parking which may be on their last legs once you get there.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
The best route will vary from day to day. The best route on any given day is whichever route Waze tells you to go.
Well, unless it directs you through Leonia.

Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'll be driving to the OP's destination tomorrow from Madison, NJ in the late afternoon. So not looking forward to this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks all... I will definitely be using Waze and probably go with the Holland Tunnel/West Street/FDR route based on everyone's comments here. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I'm returning the rental car to PHL on Sunday, and picking up in Manhattan with Avis adds an extra $90 or so to the rental cost.

Spothero shows a garage at UN Plaza available overnight for $29, which is probably where I'll park.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Update from my trip: Waze directed me via the Holland Tunnel, then Park Row to the FDR. The drive took about an hour, and traffic wasn’t as bad as I expected. I was happy to avoid all the crosstown traffic in Midtown!
closetasfan and cestmoi123 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.