Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EWR Terminal A to be Replaced

Old Mar 23, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards

It looks like EWR Terminal A will be renovated / replaced.
I just saw this in Curbed NY. Does anyone have additional Information or insight?
First Look at Newark Liberty International Airport's 1.4 Billion Terminal
33 Gates, Completion in 2021.

Here's the Briefing Book from PANYNJ
Old Mar 24, 18, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The good news is that the entire project won't take, relatively, much more time than it takes to wait for a cup of coffee while waiting for an AS flight.
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing an AirTrain replacement wasn't tagged onto this project...
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
I've seen this before - to be honest, shocked that it's supposed to start next month. Certainly is likely to make traveling on UAX no fun...
Old Mar 29, 18, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I've seen this before - to be honest, shocked that it's supposed to start next month. Certainly is likely to make traveling on UAX no fun...
Can it really make flying on UAX any worse?

The one thing I haven't seen in any of the write-ups on this project is the expected impact on the existing Terminal A and its tenants. I've been trying to shift most of my transcon flying to VX/AS, although I've been using WN when I have to fly to my company's home office in BNA; while the A3 pier is probably the last to be impacted by this project, at some point they're going to have to knock out the existing A piers to build the new taxiways/apron for T1.

For that matter, I'm also curious to know what becomes of the P3 parking area. It's already been severely reduced in size - will it close completely?

One saving grace: at least T1's going to be common-use, which means UA can't ruin it with it's OTG partnership.
Old Mar 29, 18, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
Can it really make flying on UAX any worse?
Yes - if it means they are going to demolish the recently-renovated UC in Terminal A. That would make it the worst.
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:29 pm

From the materials it seems like the new terminal and garage will be south of the existing terminal A and garage and airtrain station, so doesn't it sound like that they will build terminal one and it's new garage and airtrain station then move the airlines around and into the new terminal one and then demolish the old terminal A, leaving room for the "future expansion" of terminal one?

-David
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
From the materials it seems like the new terminal and garage will be south of the existing terminal A and garage and airtrain station, so doesn't it sound like that they will build terminal one and it's new garage and airtrain station then move the airlines around and into the new terminal one and then demolish the old terminal A, leaving room for the "future expansion" of terminal one?

-David
You are correct, but remember that the construction of T1 will also require reconfiguration/construction of a new apron and new taxiways. Presumably, the A1 pier can't be in operation once construction starts on those areas.
Old Apr 20, 18, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Terminal A is a dump

I flew into this terminal (AC) on April 18. It is such a dump, replacement is long overdue. Construction is not exactly imminent and we are talking about the Port Authority which manages to make a mash of everything.

The funny thing is the "new" AC MLL lounge in Terminal A is noting special, only hot food is oatmeal (AM) and soup (PM). Any of the UA club lounges in EWR (incl. the pop up one) are better, IMO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: