Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK vs EWR (destination New Brunswick)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

JFK vs EWR (destination New Brunswick)

All I hear from friends is JFK traffic is awful - BUT. I can get non-stop domestic flight to/from JFK cheaper than connecting flights to EWR on Delta.

Are the trains and transfers (Airtran > Jamaica LIRR > New York Penn NJ Transit > New Brunswick) so inconvenient to merit the connecting flights to Newark? Then, I'll return from TriBeCa to JFK for return flight.

I'd have time to kill between landing and check-in anyway, and I'll stay in the city before return so a shorter trip to JFK.

Anyone's thoughts? I'm assuming the transfers are signed well enough, but I've never done this route - Thanks!

Stephen
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The route is reasonably well signed, given that you know what you're looking for. It'll take about 2 hours on mass transit, assuming everything goes right. Or about 20 minutes from Newark.

I assume you're spending some time in New Brunswick and then moving into Manhattan before returning to your origin. From TriBeCa either JFK or EWR will be about the same in transit time, either on a train or in a car.

Only you can decide if the cost and times are worthwhile.
StephenMV likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Exactly - thank you!

Originally Posted by sbm12
I assume you're spending some time in New Brunswick and then moving into Manhattan before returning to your origin. From TriBeCa either JFK or EWR will be about the same in transit time, either on a train or in a car.
Only you can decide if the cost and times are worthwhile.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depending on the overall travel, costs and layover situation I'd lean towards connecting to EWR over JFK & then Airtrain+LIRR+NJTransit/Amtrak.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StephenMV
All I hear from friends is JFK traffic is awful - BUT. I can get non-stop domestic flight to/from JFK cheaper than connecting flights to EWR on Delta.

Are the trains and transfers (Airtran > Jamaica LIRR > New York Penn NJ Transit > New Brunswick) so inconvenient to merit the connecting flights to Newark? Then, I'll return from TriBeCa to JFK for return flight.

I'd have time to kill between landing and check-in anyway, and I'll stay in the city before return so a shorter trip to JFK.

Anyone's thoughts? I'm assuming the transfers are signed well enough, but I've never done this route - Thanks!

Stephen
No reason why you can't take public transport from JFK to New Brunswick.
  • Airtrain to Jamaica
  • LIRR at Jamaica to Penn Station
  • NJ Transit Northeast Corridor train to New Brunswick

PDF of the Northeast Corridor schedule
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose if the choice is between connecting at an airport (ATL?) vs. connecting at Penn Station (with $$ savings), the latter would probably win out due to the savings. Plus EWR just sucks for delays.
LIRR->NJT really won't be that painful.
If both were nonstops, I'd probably suck it up for EWR unless JFK was $200+ less, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.