Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4 to T8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

JFK T4 to T8

Greetings all

I am travelling from MAN-JFK with Virgin Atlantic arriving at T4 at 1630 then have an onward connection to Cleveland at 2031 from T8 with American (American Eagle)

With this in mind, I have a few of questions (apologies as I've never been to JFK)

1. After collecting our bags, is there an easy way to get from T4 to T8?
2. I've heard folk talk of the skytrain but am unsure.
3. I've also read somewhere that American have a baggage transfer desk. Is this correct?
4. I have to pay for my checked baggage with American. Can I do this at the check in desk or pay before when I check in online?

I also have a return trip from the same initial destination using the same airlines but with a 4 hour layover at JFK.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Follow signs to the "AirTrain" when you leave the arrivals hall at T4. You'll have to go up one floor on either the escalator or elevator to get to it. Take a train labeled Jamaica or Howard Beach 3 stops (there is no T6 stop) to T8.

3) Not that you'll use.
4) Pay at the desk via credit card.

Going the other direction the instructions are similar, but you'll want an "All Terminals" AirTrain to get from T8 to T4. If AA tags the bags through to VS (unlikely) then you don't need to claim them at T8 and carry them to T4 on your own.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There is a free connections bag drop for all airlines outside customs in T4, but you are only eligible to use this if your flights are on one ticket. If your flights are on separate tickets, which I'm assuming they are since Virgin and American aren't partners, you'll need to take the luggage over to T8 yourself. Once you exit customs in T4, take the AirTrain to T8. It's free and easy to find, just follow the signs after customs. You can take any of the AirTrains, "Jamaica," "Howard Beach," or "All Terminals." They will take the same amount of time and "All Terminals" runs most frequently. Once at T8, you'll pay for your bags, check them in, and get your boarding passes for the AA flight.

Going back is the same, but you need to make sure to take the "All Terminals" AirTrain only. If you get on one of the others you will be taken out of the airport.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
4 Hours should be doable, if you download Mobile Passport ahead of time it should help a lot. Also be sure to check out the new priority pass restaurant in T8 (Bobby Van's Seakhouse).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by hi55us
4 Hours should be doable, if you download Mobile Passport ahead of time it should help a lot. Also be sure to check out the new priority pass restaurant in T8 (Bobby Van's Seakhouse).
I'm assuming that the OP is NOT a US citizen or a Canadian visitor and MPC won't be available to them given their start point appears to be MAN and they have separate bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.