Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Do Mets games impact hotel availability near LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Hi,

Am looking to stay near LGA for a Saturday night in August. However, I'm really struggling - a number of hotels seem to be sold out already.

However I see the Mets are playing that weekend. Is that likely to be the driving factor?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't think the impact would be that much. If it's the weekend of games against The Braves it may have a bit more attendance as both teams have lots of dedicated fans but not so much for against the Nationals and the other two weeks they have away games.

I took a look at a few event calendars and there are of course a bunch of things going on. Added bonus I learned about the topless march planned which should be interesting.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would think the U.S. (Tennis) Open would have a greater impact than a Mets game unluess it’s against a team with fans that travel.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
which weekend in August?? If you want accurate advice give the dates!

There are loads of events in NYC that affect hotel room prices and availability.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

As someone said above, if it around the US Open that may definitely be a factor.

Consider hotels in Long Island City. It is about a 15-20 min drive to LGA and are generally well-priced. Plus, a much better neighborhood than any of the airport hotels (if you want to grab a meal, drink etc.).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's August 25th. We land late then need to hire a car the next day to drive up Long Island, so I don't want to be too far from the airport or heading into Manhattan (where hotel rates actually don't look too bad!)

Looks like you guys called it right though - Tennis open starts on the Monday. This last leg of the trip does seem to be conspiring against me!

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Feb 18, 2018 at 2:45 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
If the Mets and the US Open are taking place will create a traffic nightmare around LGA. I would consider flying into JFK if you can (esp. since it's further out on Long Island) and staying at one of the JFK hotels. Also look into flying into ISP on long island.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's August 25th. We land late then need to hire a car the next day to drive up Long Island, so I don't want to be too far from the airport or heading into Manhattan (where hotel rates actually don't look too bad!)
You might want to reconsider Manhattan if the prices meet your budget.

Looks like you guys called it right though - Tennis open starts on the Monday. This last leg of the trip does seem to be conspiring against me!
I didn't think it was the Mets. If you're in town Tues-Fri of the week prior and you're a tennis fan, walk the boardwalk to the tennis center to see the qualifying matches. It's free and fun to see both the up-and-comers as well as those near retirement vying to get themselves back into a major.
Yoshi212 and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:31 am

Not sure where in LI you are going/where you are coming from, but also consider flying into Islip if you're going to Suffolk County, or just go straight out there when you land and nap in the car.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I'm gonna take this opportunity to say that if you have hotel issues near LaGuardia in June, that may be related to the US (Golf) Open in Long Island
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
As someone said above, if it around the US Open that may definitely be a factor.

Consider hotels in Long Island City. It is about a 15-20 min drive to LGA and are generally well-priced. Plus, a much better neighborhood than any of the airport hotels (if you want to grab a meal, drink etc.).
In prior years (including last year) during the comparable time period, Hotwire (opaque) hotel booking prices for the NYC area and most of Nassau and Suffolk didn’t seem to bump up due to such events.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
US Tennis Open begins Monday Aug 27th. If you plan to rent a car I'd suggest looking at LI hotels which is easy from LGA. The process to pick up a rental car from LGA is time consuming at best so best to get to your destination afterwards.
Many properties in Nassau county and the Grand Central Pkwy gives you quick/easy access to LIE or GCT/Northern Pkwy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.