Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EWR to Statue of Liberty

EWR to Statue of Liberty

Old Feb 2, 18, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
EWR to Statue of Liberty

Yes, I know there has been numerous post before from people with stopovers at EWR going to Statue of Liberty but all the times and requirements are different

so I hope everyone has the patience and advise. thank you.

Arriving at EWR in early April on a Wednesday and have a 8 hour 15 minute stopover (at 1135am) and I want to visit Statue of Liberty with the Mrs. Not interested in Central Park, Manhattan etc. Just Statue of Liberty
We do not plan on stopping at Ellis Island and we do not have tickets to go into the statue itself. so it is more of a photo op thing of the statue and of Manhattan and walk around to kill time
We'll take taxi there and back

I'm thinking
1 hour to get from EWR to Liberty park
1 hour to get from park back to EWR
1 hour standing in line for ferry
2 hours to get through TSA (to catch connecting flight)
1 hour for unforeseen occurrence
2 hours ( or probably less) to walk around Statue of Liberty

Doable or not?

thanks
Old Feb 4, 18, 12:31 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
Time looks way too tight so you need to consider the consequences if you miss your flight.

Anyway, you must book a ticket on the ferry to guarantee your trip to Ellis Island. Look here:
https://www.statueoflibertytickets.c...sland-Tickets/

Otherwise you'll wait in line until there is a free spot. There may be hundreds of people in line waiting for people to not turn up for their pre-booked ride.

If you ever have a chance to book ahead and get to climb to the Crown I suggest you do it, it's so worthwhile.

Do remember that the Staten Island ferry is free and gives you a great view of Lady Liberty.
Old Feb 4, 18, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ichinensei View Post
2 hours to get through TSA (to catch connecting flight)
This is 90+ minutes more than you'll need. And you have another hour accounting for "other stuff" that might go wrong.

Book ferry tix in advance and you'll have absolutely zero issue making it out to the island and back on an 8 hour layover. You could even take the ferry over to the statue then across to Manhattan for a different view and still get back in time.
Old Feb 4, 18, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hvr View Post
Do remember that the Staten Island ferry is free and gives you a great view of Lady Liberty.
I would dispute that! I've heard many number of people that have said 'well that was disappointing' in the view of the SOL from the Ferry. The statue is about the size of your thumb when viewed from the ferry!

If the OP doesn't have time for a visit to the island - I'm not seeing any 'ferry transit time' in their list (unless they have included it in the standing in lime and time on the island - then a generic boat tour that goes around it might be an alternative - no security screening for a start!
Old Feb 4, 18, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Thanks for replying. I've booked a ticket and made a reservation. However, the reason why I said I wasn't going into the statue itself was because the crown or even the pedestal ticket was already sold out in early January. The Mrs thinks we staying in the airport for 8 hours so this will be a nice surprise. Won't tell her until we get there

Search this Thread
Search Engine: