FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Plane change in Newark (EWR) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1888027-plane-change-newark-ewr.html)

gseab Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Plane change in Newark (EWR)

I've never changed planes at EWR before, so I'd like to ask a question of anyone who has. I'm thinking of booking a flight on United Airlines that would require me to fly into EWR and catch a connecting flight with only a one-hour layover. I assume there will be a change of terminals involved. If my first flight is on time, is one hour long enough to catch my connecting flight? Thank you.

guv1976 Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by gseab (Post 29286128)
I've never changed planes at EWR before, so I'd like to ask a question of anyone who has. I'm thinking of booking a flight on United Airlines that would require me to fly into EWR and catch a connecting flight with only a one-hour layover. I assume there will be a change of terminals involved. If my first flight is on time, is one hour long enough to catch my connecting flight? Thank you.

Why do you assume that there will be a change of terminals? Is this a UA-UA connection, or UA to another carrier? Have you checked to see whether your particular flight pair required a change of terminals today?
​​​​​​

gseab Jan 12, 2018 8:07 pm

It's a UA-UA connection, but I'm told United flies into B and departs from C. And I believe everything I'm told. ;) Anyway, the question is moot now, because I just went ahead and booked the flight for lack of any better choice. Thank you for your reply.

guv1976 Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by gseab (Post 29286425)
It's a UA-UA connection, but I'm told United flies into B and departs from C. And I believe everything I'm told. ;) Anyway, the question is moot now, because I just went ahead and booked the flight for lack of any better choice. Thank you for your reply.

UA flies in and out of all three terminals at EWR. But unless you will be clearing Customs after your first flight (highly unlikely since you have just a one-hour connection), you should be able to avail yourself of UA's airside shuttle buses, which will obviate the need to clear TSA security at your second terminal.

gseab Jan 13, 2018 7:31 am

Thank you, guv1976. I won't have to deal with customs at EWR, so I'm hopeful that I'll catch the shuttle quickly and get to my departing gate on time. Most people I've asked have cautioned me that at least 90 minutes are necessary to change planes at EWR, but one travel agent said 60 minutes is doable - so I'm going with the minority opinion. :)

JimInOhio Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by gseab (Post 29287658)
Thank you, guv1976. I won't have to deal with customs at EWR, so I'm hopeful that I'll catch the shuttle quickly and get to my departing gate on time. Most people I've asked have cautioned me that at least 90 minutes are necessary to change planes at EWR, but one travel agent said 60 minutes is doable - so I'm going with the minority opinion. :)

Since this sounds like a domestic/domestic connection, 60 minutes is fine unless there's a significant delay with your inbound flight. Also, if you have to make a terminal A<-->C connection, the person handling the transfer buses scans your boarding pass before allowing the passenger to board the bus. I always assumed this was to "keep track" of transferring passengers so gate agents would know that a connecting passenger was already on their way from the other terminal. At least they used to always do this.

gseab Jan 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you. Here's hoping my first flight leaves on time. :)