Wiki Posts
Search

"Traditional" Restaurant Recommendation for NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Traditional" Restaurant Recommendation for NYC

I need FT's help! In order to celebrate the birth of our first grandchild, I want to take my wife somewhere special in Manhattan. But here's the catch: we're not really Michelin star types. IOW, we favor outstanding execution of traditional dishes over "inventive" constructs. On the other hand, neither of us regards a steakhouse as sufficiently special for this occasion.

In an ideal world, we'd find a place able to execute classic French or even northern Italian cuisine flawlessly, accompanied by really fine wine (but less than $400 a bottle fine). Any ideas?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I need FT's help! In order to celebrate the birth of our first grandchild, I want to take my wife somewhere special in Manhattan. But here's the catch: we're not really Michelin star types. IOW, we favor outstanding execution of traditional dishes over "inventive" constructs. On the other hand, neither of us regards a steakhouse as sufficiently special for this occasion.

In an ideal world, we'd find a place able to execute classic French or even northern Italian cuisine flawlessly, accompanied by really fine wine (but less than $400 a bottle fine). Any ideas?
For classic French, I ate at a spot called Boucherie 1-2 months back that makes you feel like you are in Paris. The food is excellent, the ambiance as well - it's laid back but has a classy atmosphere. I rarely eat French in NYC, so this is really my only opinion on this outside of upper-end places like Daniel, JG, etc.

Italian - there are lots of good choices in the city. Northern Italian cuisine can be a bit broad (i.e. are we speaking Tuscan here, or something more Ladin, a la South Tyrol?), but for spots that are upscale (and yes, some of these are Michelin-starred) but are delicious without being too ostentatious, I would suggest Lupa, Babbo, or Carbone. ETA: L'Artusi is another great moderately upscale casual Italian spot to eat.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Jan 7, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Yes.

La Boite en Bois
Chez Josephine
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love Ai Fiori, a northern Italian restaurant in the Langham hotel. Housemade everything, elegant but not fussy. But still a decidedly fine dining vibe. They have a Michelin star, I think.

I also really like Locanda Verde, in Tribeca. Excellent food in a more neighborhoody kind of place.

http://aifiorinyc.com/menus/dinner_menu
http://www.locandaverdenyc.com/menus/
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Meh I'm mixed in Locanda Verde. I recall it being good but not memorable.

We're big fans of Mailano (don't live in NYC but family does and it's been a birthday selection multiple times).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Meh I'm mixed in Locanda Verde. I recall it being good but not memorable.

We're big fans of Mailano (don't live in NYC but family does and it's been a birthday selection multiple times).
Love both of these spots (although I have only been to Locanda Verde for brunch / lunch, not dinner). I enjoyed my one time at Ai Fiori, although my wife thinks the quality has dipped the past couple times she has been there. For a 1-Star Michelin, it always has a lot of availability.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Classic French? La Grenouille. Old School!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I don’t know your budget but for classic French I would probably say Le Bernardin. Dropping down on cost I would suggest Balthazar.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
La Grenouille is wonderful. Jacket-and-tie still, by the way. You may exceed $400 for a couple however.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

I don't think I'd call Le Bernardin classic or traditional. It's traditional in terms of the decorum: men must wear jackets, the sommeliers (yes, plural) wear tastevins on chains around their necks, etc. And I wouldn't call the food avant garde, either, but you won't find traditional dishes on the menu.

For truly classic French, I'd put in another vote for La Grenouille.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by themicah
I don't think I'd call Le Bernardin classic or traditional. It's traditional in terms of the decorum: men must wear jackets, the sommeliers (yes, plural) wear tastevins on chains around their necks, etc. And I wouldn't call the food avant garde, either, but you won't find traditional dishes on the menu.

For truly classic French, I'd put in another vote for La Grenouille.

Fair enough. I was really thinking more in terms of "not avant garde".
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Agree with others, La Grenouille is a fine choice if you "favor outstanding execution of traditional dishes over 'inventive' constructs."
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
La Grenouille is wonderful. Jacket-and-tie still, by the way. You may exceed $400 for a couple however.
I think that was just for the wine!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

Recently read a TERRIBLE report on La Grenouille: https://ny.eater.com/2017/12/28/1682...estaurants-nyc.

French:
Benoit
Vaucluse
Le Coq Rico (for French roasted chicken specifically)
The NoMad (slightly less traditional than the above, but absolutely wonderful and in a beautiful space)

Italian:
Marea
Maialino

If I had to pick top two of the above it would be The NoMad and Marea.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Many restaurants allow you to BYO (bring your own) wine. The corkage charges vary, but even if you pay $75 corkage, all you have to do is go to a good wine store ie Chambers Street, and buy a good bottle. A $100 bottle of wine will set you back $250 - $300 if you were to buy off the list.

$100 bottle of wine + $75 corkage (varies, so call the restaurant) = $175 outlay. You'll drink better wine, and save a few bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.