Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Visiting NYC? Expect to pay more at The Met Museum

Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Met Museum will charge mandatory admission fees for non-New Yorkers

The policy will take effect on March 1 this year and will reportedly impact 31 percent of the museum’s visitors

More here ... https://ny.curbed.com/2018/1/4/16850...-mandatory-fee
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As a tourist I happily paid the $25 ‘suggested’ fee today as it is very good value. It becoming mandatory won’t bother me or put me off from visiting.

I viewed the Munch exhibit at the Breuer and the Hockney and Michaelangeko at the main site plus some others as well. In total I spent around 5-6 hours there.

In fact at the Breuer I was asked how much I wanted to pay which I thought a little strange (all of my previous visits I’ve used one of the ore paid passes and I don’t know what the Met gets from them)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
It's important to remember that all special exhibitions are included in the Met admission fee. And entry to all three branches (Fifth Ave, Breuer, and Cloisters) on the same day is included.

The Met is also a current participant in the Bank of America Museums on Us program: free admission for the holder of a BofA or Merrill Lynch credit/debit card on the first full weekend of each month.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It's good for 3 days, not just 1 day.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So 69% of all visitors are from NYS? I wonder how they got that figure. I'm actually impressed if that's true. I think international visitors to NYC might not have as much of a problem with that price tag because outside of London, high priced museum admissions tickets are not unusual. At least NJ and CT students will also be exempt.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The Met is also a current participant in the Bank of America Museums on Us program: free admission for the holder of a BofA or Merrill Lynch credit/debit card on the first full weekend of each month.
I thought it was first Fridays. Glad to see it's expanded to weekends!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Analise
So 69% of all visitors are from NYS? I wonder how they got that figure. I'm actually impressed if that's true. I think international visitors to NYC might not have as much of a problem with that price tag because outside of London, high priced museum admissions tickets are not unusual. At least NJ and CT students will also be exempt.

I thought it was first Fridays. Glad to see it's expanded to weekends!
People will pay to see the museum, but it won’t be because of how usual/unusual the museum visiting prices are outside of London for foreigners.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
It's good for 3 days, not just 1 day.
What is "it?"

Are you referring to the new policy? Yes, under the new policy (effective March 1, 2018), a full-priced ticket will be valid for three consecutive days.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So 69% of all visitors are from NYS? I wonder how they got that figure.
Every time I go I’m asked for my zip code or country.

It’s not just the Met but virtually every museum / attraction I visit that has paid entry,

On a previous visit I was asked to compile a longer survey that asked that question as well as other demographic data.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Every time I go I’m asked for my zip code or country.

It’s not just the Met but virtually every museum / attraction I visit that has paid entry,

On a previous visit I was asked to compile a longer survey that asked that question as well as other demographic data.
Got it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:59 am

I hate it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not to veer into PR land, but if folks don't want to pay a suggested fee, something has to change.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I think more people (locals) would pay the fee if it wasn't $25.00.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think they break it out.

At minimum, 45% of visitors are from NY State:

The new policy will impact 31 percent of the museum’s visitors, according to the Met. About 41 percent pay no fees since they are members of the museum or are children under 12; 14 percent get discounted rates as part of the City Pass program; 30 percent are from the city, and the remaining are from within the state but outside the city.
Edited to add: Strike that -- it's not clear which set of these numbers is supposed to add to 100%

Last edited by nerd; Jan 10, 2018 at 6:46 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new policy will impact 31 percent of the museum’s visitors, according to the Met. About 41 percent pay no fees since they are members of the museum or are children under 12; 14 percent get discounted rates as part of the City Pass program; 30 percent are from the city, and the remaining are from within the state but outside the city.
it's not clear which set of these numbers is supposed to add to 100%
My reading of the various figures is this

31% of all visitors will likely come under the new charging rules
69% of all visitors will be exempt for the following reasons

Then of the 69% who will be exempt -

41% of the 69% are members / under 12 (though I would have thought it would be easy enough to identify the numbers of members) (so approx 28% of all visitors)
14% use a pre paid tourist pass of some sort (approx 10% of all visitors)
30% are NYC residents (I assume based on when they give their zip code on entry) (approx 21% of all visitors)
15% (i.e. 100-41-14-30) come from the rest of NY state (approx 10% of all visitors)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I think more people (locals) would pay the fee if it wasn't $25.00.
Of course they would but would that generate more revenue?

If the average local currently pays $10, and you change the fee to $10, most people would pay it, but you'd end up with the same amount collected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.