Search

Visiting NYC? Expect to pay more at The Met Museum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nerd
Of course they would but would that generate more revenue?

If the average local currently pays $10, and you change the fee to $10, most people would pay it, but you'd end up with the same amount collected.
Lots of locals don’t know the museum fee has been optional and the fee was a suggested donation. For such people, a reduction in the headline fee may come with visits that such persons would otherwise not have made, and that could mean additional revenue for the museum.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of locals don’t know the museum fee has been optional and the fee was a suggested donation. For such people, a reduction in the headline fee may come with visits that such persons would otherwise not have made, and that could mean additional revenue for the museum.
True, that. For those that have always been paying full-fee (regardless of whether they know it's optional or not) a lower headline fee could be offset by more visits.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
As a former NYer, I can tell you that most of us never paid $25. We typically paid $1 and entered. However, on an upcoming trip to back to meet relatives coming from across the Atlantic, I am part of pay full price to enter group. Has anyone visited the Met recently and if so, what ID (or whatever) is required to get the NYer pay what you want rate? An old NY college ID? Many of my friends that still live in NY laughed when I asked about ID and said they just walk in - no ID, nothing, just right into the museum. I'm still trying to get a straighter answer re am I being set up so they can laugh later at my expense or do locals simply walk right bypassing any sort of ID check? They're good friends so nothing malicious, however, they do like knowing something about travel that I don't -- but I can picture locals simply not fussing with the line and marching in. Any recent experiences?

Cheers
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:51 am

• New York State driver's license
  • New York State identification card
  • IDNYC card*
  • Student identification card from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut
  • New York library card
  • Current bill or statement with a New York State address
From: https://www.metmuseum.org/visit/upda...ons-policy-faq
It is a shame, the museum is on public land, my grandfather would take us there and pay what he felt was proper, not $1 but not $25 (adjusted for 70's of course).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:18 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
yes, the land is public, which is why locals get a deal. But everything else still needs to be paid for, and that doesn't work if everyone can chose to pay $1 or $5. Even at $25 they aren't making money.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

This is false. Read my link upthread: https://themuse.jezebel.com/the-met-...1821779073/amp
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
This is false. Read my link upthread: https://themuse.jezebel.com/the-met-...1821779073/amp
That was an idiotic article when it came out and remains so to this day.

”perhaps city dwellers won’t be overly concerned that all these foreignerswill have to pay for access to artworks stolen from around the world by colonialist richie-riches”

so why should the Met be free? Because of the 10 percent of operating costs that the city kicks in?

and then says the majority of operating expenses are paid for by the city, endowment, grants — except who gave the endowment which pays for around 30 percent? Those “Richie Rich” colonists?
cestmoi123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.