What To Do in EWR with 6 Hour Layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List

Hi,

It looks like I will have a 6 hour layover in mid December at EWR. I was wondering what some of you experts/locals would suggest for the 6 hour layover. Is that enough time to visit New Jersey, or should I just plan on staying at the airport? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/assistance.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GfL
You could visit downtown Newark, maybe to eat a nice Portuguese or Brazilian meal, or the Newark Museum (which is not bad at all, and small enough to see in 90 minutes)—take the monorail to Newark Liberty Rail Station and then NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station (about 25 minutes) or taxi/Uber (about 15 minutes). You could do some outlet shopping at the Jersey Gardens mall—best reached by taxi or Uber, about a 20-minute ride. Liberty State Park is not far from EWR but I don’t think I’d want to do that in mid-December. (I wouldn’t want to do the outlet shopping either, but some people might.)
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Thanks for the tip, travelmad478.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
You can make it to NYC in about 40 minutes, so that is an option to do as well.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:43 pm

Assuming you are a domestic traveller, I would jump on the train to Penn Station then walk to Times Square. You can be there in an hour. Leave an another hour to get back and an hour to go through security and you have a good 2-3 hours to sight see and enjoy dinner.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation about New York, but I have been there a couple of times now, so perhaps looking at something different than New York.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:00 pm

I've never been there but you could try Thomas Edison's lab (National Park Service site) 10-15 miles away.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update on what I ended up doing for the 6 hour layover. I took the shuttle from EWR to Jersey Gardens Mall ($9 roundtrip). Had time to watch a movie and grabbed a quick bite and made it back with adequate time left before flight.

Thanks, again, for the various suggestions.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Please dont mind if i hijack this thread. I too have a similar stopover in April but mine is 8 hours long. Arrive 1135 am, depart 1950. I decided to go to Statue of Liberty. Is there enough time to do both ellis Island and statue of liberty. We dont have tickets to the crown or pedestal so it will be just outside. Also, how much does a taxi ride cost from EWR to Liberty State PArk?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:53 am

I think this is pushing it, as you are at the mercy of the ferry and there could be delays in getting out.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:31 pm

If one is arriving on a VERY EARLY morning United international flight from Asia where one has a checked bag and is connecting on another United domestic flight very late that night from Newark (same itinerary as Asian flight) with a 17+ hour layover, how would the baggage check-through policy apply? Would baggage be claimed upon arriving prior to customs agents and then a baggage re-check would be allowed immediately thereafter at a United transfer desk before exiting the secured area of the airport?

Since it is under 24 hours and not an overnight layover between flights, will United hold your baggage at Newark for that long between flights (transferring it to your late night domestic flight automatically later) or will they force you to store your bags and re-check it later in the day?

If that is required, what is the current baggage storage vendor situation at the airport as of Feburary 2018? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by luv2fly4free; Feb 10, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
If one is arriving on a VERY EARLY morning United international flight from Asia where one has a checked bag and is connecting on another United domestic flight very late that night from Newark (same itinerary as Asian flight) with a 17+ hour layover, how would the baggage check-through policy apply? Would baggage be claimed upon arriving prior to customs agents and then a baggage re-check would be allowed immediately thereafter at a United transfer desk before exiting the secured area of the airport?

Since it is under 24 hours and not an overnight layover between flights, will United hold your baggage at Newark for that long between flights (transferring it to your late night domestic flight automatically later) or will they force you to store your bags and re-check it later in the day?

If that is required, what is the current baggage storage vendor situation at the airport as of Feburary 2018? Thanks for any advice.
You'll likely get a more accurate response on the UA board, but I can tell you that you absolutely will need to reclaim your checked baggage at EWR and recheck it.
If your ticket shows this connection as a layover rather than a stopover (i.e., a true "connection" rather than simply two successive flights), you should have no problem rechecking your bag immediately, as it should be properly tagged when you check in in Asia.
Otherwise, you might need to convince the check-in agent in Asia to tag your bag all the way through (if they are allowed to do it) or, after you reclaim your bag at EWR (and, again, you need to reclaim it whether or not it is tagged all the way through), see if the baggage recheck desk will accept your bag that early.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:43 pm

I assume there is a United transfer desk after customs at Newark but prior to exiting the secured area where they would in theory accept my connecting bag?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
I assume there is a United transfer desk after customs at Newark but prior to exiting the secured area where they would in theory accept my connecting bag?
There must be a transfer desk, but as with all US airports it will be outside the secured area: you clear immigration, claim your bags, clear customs, get dumped outside the secured area, and then recheck your bags.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie

There must be a transfer desk, but as with all US airports it will be outside the secured area: you clear immigration, claim your bags, clear customs, get dumped outside the secured area, and then recheck your bags.
expect the lengthy time between flights will be a problem with the transfer desk agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.