Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Transfer between JFK terminals.... help!!!

Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

I have booked Two seperate tickets to fly to Frankfurt. I am flying to JFK with delta and I have two suitcases. When I arrive at JFK terminal two I have to claim my bags and then go to the Singapore check in counter at Terminal 4 to re check those bags and to go through security again. I have 3.5 hours between flights. I need suggestions on how to get from terminal 2 baggage claim to terminal 4 departures check in counter. Was going to take a taxi around the building.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Welcome to FlyerTalk @ad07!

Please follow this thread as it moves to the New York City forum.

TWA884
Travel Tools Moderator
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by ad07
I have booked Two seperate tickets to fly to Frankfurt. I am flying to JFK with delta and I have two suitcases. When I arrive at JFK terminal two I have to claim my bags and then go to the Singapore check in counter at Terminal 4 to re check those bags and to go through security again. I have 3.5 hours between flights. I need suggestions on how to get from terminal 2 baggage claim to terminal 4 departures check in counter. Was going to take a taxi around the building.
Welcome to FT! You can take the air train between terminals for free. Not sure this topic merits 3 exclamation points...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
no need to panic. you can take the free airtrains from terminal 2 to 4. 3.5 should be plenty of time.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ad07
I would check with Delta about having them link your two reservations. Sometime they can and sometimes they can't. Often if they successfully link them, you can through-check your bags from origin to final destination. Worth asking about, IMHO.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I would check with Delta about having them link your two reservations. Sometime they can and sometimes they can't. Often if they successfully link them, you can through-check your bags from origin to final destination. Worth asking about, IMHO.
Doesn't require linking of reservations just an interline agreement. You could check whether they can be tagged through.

Also the OP should check whether the DL flight is actually going to arrive into T4 as that is where the majority of their flights go.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Doesn't require linking of reservations just an interline agreement. You could check whether they can be tagged through.

Also the OP should check whether the DL flight is actually going to arrive into T4 as that is where the majority of their flights go.
I think the reservations do need to be linked otherwise the originating airline's computer system can't know or see the final destination. That's required to get a bag to that place.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I think the reservations do need to be linked otherwise the originating airline's computer system can't know or see the final destination. That's required to get a bag to that place.
In the past, all that was needed was the destination and the flight number. Today the tracking systems are more robust so requirements may have changed, but the reality is that many airlines these days have stopped checking bags through AT ALL on separate reservations, even if the two reservations are with the same airline.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL is sometimes willing to check bags through on separate tickets/PNRs and DL does interline with SQ, but this is less likely since DL and SQ belong to different alliances.

The best chance is to being printouts of your SQ itinerary and ticket receipt (showing the ticket number) to the airport and ask nicely when you check the bags for your DL flight.

If your flight lands at T4, note that SQ uses a separate wing of this terminal but it's all the same building. From T2, DL runs an airside free bus (called the JFK Jitney--you are not required to show your boarding pass but employees sometimes try to ask) to T4, but this won't help if you must claim a checked bag at T2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.