Wiki Posts
Search

ticket riding a bike

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
ticket riding a bike

so, I recently got a ticket while riding on a citibike. Thinking of contesting it. Anyone have any experience with this or any tips? TIA
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan
so, I recently got a ticket while riding on a citibike. Thinking of contesting it. Anyone have any experience with this or any tips? TIA
What was the ticket for? Riding on the sidewalk? Riding the wrong way down a one-way street? What does citibike have to do with it, and what would be your grounds for contesting the ticket?
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
You won't find sympathy from me...I think bike riders get away with way too much in NYC.
jbeans likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Transportation Alternatives may be able to give you some advice.
Try this link: TA Did you get a ticket?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
You won't find sympathy from me...I think bike riders get away with way too much in NYC.
I think pedestrians get away with MUCH more.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think pedestrians get away with MUCH more.
I have yet to have a pedestrian run a red light and knock me flat on my back while I was crossing the street.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:44 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That can be arranged in NYC. For a fee, of course.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have yet to have a pedestrian run a red light and knock me flat on my back while I was crossing the street.
You know it. I was amazed the OP got a ticket as I've never seen cops do any enforcement as I do for those in an automobile or truck.

So how does this work? How can a cop force a cyclist to show ID? It's not even required to have ID while cycling. So how can a ticket even be given?

Assuming a cyclist provides ID, what if the ticket gets tossed. It isn't like the NYPD can confiscate the bike. What's the penalty for not paying biking tickets?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Reports are [in other words, google it yourself] that NYC was writing bike tickets earlier this year, that NY-State does not legally allow them to, and it's not the first time. If in your case, they did, you can probably successfully contest the ticket on that basis.

Don't ignore it. There are laws on the books that allow licensed drivers to have license issues even when on vehicles that don't require licenses (bikes, motor boats in may states). Might not be fair, but it's the law.

You need to dig in to it further.

In the mean time, go over to Youtube and look at Casey Neistat's video "Bike Lanes"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.