Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hotel in NYC for less than US$200/night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in NYC for less than US$200/night?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by themicah
When the city is busy (or packed, as at UN GA time), <$200/night is not a very reasonable expectation.

But with all the hotel development in the last 10+ years, these days it's not at all uncommon to find <$200/night when demand is low.
Totally agree. Rates vary widely.

---

I stayed for well under $200 per night at a 4* Crowne Plaza last week. And during the lowest season, it gets even better. For example, the Intercontinental Barclay was available for less than $150 per night for most dates in early February through early March 2017. Not via some obscure OTA, but directly via the chain.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by liverpoolfc
AirBNB is supposed to be illegal in NYC if less than 30 days and the unit's occupant isn't there. Is that enforced all the time? Likely not but wouldn't want a traveler to run into issues and be forced out of their lodging in a foreign city.
This is an extremely low risk proposition. I would do AirBnB in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Blumie

This is an extremely low risk proposition. I would do AirBnB in a heartbeat.
+1.
If anyone gets in trouble it's the AirBnB host, not the guest.
There is not a single case of a foreign traveler to the United States forced out of an illegal AirBnB.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:12 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It's rarely enforced, but the city is starting to crack down
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Not true

Originally Posted by davie355
+1.
If anyone gets in trouble it's the AirBnB host, not the guest.
There is not a single case of a foreign traveler to the United States forced out of an illegal AirBnB.
this is not true at all. Happens all the time...

https://nypost.com/2016/11/27/airbnb...enting-in-nyc/
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newman55

this is not true at all. Happens all the time...

https://nypost.com/2016/11/27/airbnb...enting-in-nyc/
Can you explain how one story from 2016 translates into “[h]appens all the time …?”
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Blumie

Can you explain how one story from 2016 translates into “[h]appens all the time …?”
There are other articles out there as well, if you are interested. Also, most buildings don’t send out press releases when something like this happens.

My building forced every apartment on Airbnb to close up shop within a week, some Airbnb folks were evicted during this period as well. I know some of my neigboring buildings have done similar. Enforcement happens more than you think and people renting illegal apartments in NYC are at risk. Not to mention that encouraging people to break laws is not a good way to visit a place
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newman55

There are other articles out there as well, if you are interested. Also, most buildings don’t send out press releases when something like this happens.

My building forced every apartment on Airbnb to close up shop within a week, some Airbnb folks were evicted during this period as well. I know some of my neigboring buildings have done similar. Enforcement happens more than you think and people renting illegal apartments in NYC are at risk. Not to mention that encouraging people to break laws is not a good way to visit a place
There are undoubtedly cases of landlords making their tenants shut down AirB&B activities. I agree completely. And when that happens, the tenant may be in a position of having AirBnB bookings that they cannot honor. But it is not illegal to book or stay at an AirBnB. The only risk to an AirBnB user is that your reservation will be cancelled. AirBnB will assist in finding alternative accommodations if that happens. It happens rarely, but it does happen. The situation described in that NYPost article sounds suspect to me. I continue to believe that booking through AirBnB is a great option with minimal risk. Whether the risk exceeds your or anyone else's risk threshold is, of course, a personal decision. As I said upthread, I'd do it in a heartbeat. (I also will note that many people have issues with hotel reservations being honored, whether due to overbooking -- which is routine in the industry -- or other issues. Yet millions of people still find booking a hotel to be an acceptable risk.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.