Reload this Page >

What to see in New York in two days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to see in New York in two days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
As an architecture buff, I loved the tour we did of Grand Central Terminal a few years back. But we visit regularly (and I grew up in CT and visited often as a child & teen too...) so I'm not sure I'd put it on a 1st visit must do for people in town for a short time. Personally, I prefer Grand Central to the Empire State, but I also don't love heights so the observation deck isn't my favorite....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shek3112
Thanks for the advice @closetasfan !
I've heard that there are good views from Empire State top level so I included it in. I'll see if we can try a Brooklyn walk after lunch (if it's not that cold...!
Better would be to go to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center - book tickets online ahead of time) and then you can see the Empire State Building and the skyline.

Thanks @JumboJet !
May I know how would you compare the Grand Central to Kings Cross in London?
Different. Similar scale.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:16 pm

Thanks @gfunkdave !
Will do the Top of the Rock instead then~ probably will not visit the Grand Central unless we have idle time...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks @gfunkdave !
Will do the Top of the Rock instead then~ probably will not visit the Grand Central unless we have idle time...
Several subway lines pass through Grand Central, so you'll probably find yourself there anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: pleb
Have been searching through and finally find this thread which helps me a lot!
I am looking for more advises from fellow FTers, please feel free to comment on my below idea! thanks a lot!

Background: going to a conference in Dec, got a stopover in NYC from 1 Dec late night till 3 Dec early morning
I am a finance person, and bringing my parents over (who are over 65 yo), none of us being a museum person (E.g. we went to British Museum but started to feel like going out it within 1.5hrs...). They should be rested pretty well travelling in flatbed on the flight, so i suppose we can start the tour at 8-9am sharp

Planning to do a look at Wall Street and the Bull statue, then Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty
then Brooklyn Bridge Park for lunch (heard there are good restaurants there?)
then pass through Grand Central station, go up Empire State Building
dinner @ dunno where
then times square

Any comments are welcomed! thanks a lot!

Wall St and Bull statue will take no more than 30 minutes. It's a quick walk through. Ferry to see Statue of Liberty is fine, but no need to hop off. Brooklyn Bridge Park area is fine, look on yelp for restaurant recommendations. But there are good restaurants everywhere, no need to limit yourself to BKLYN park.

Grand Central is a good stop, and it won't take long. I wouldn't recommend the Empire State building. Too many people and long lines. As people have suggested, much better to go up the WTC Freedom Tower or Top of the Rock. Both have better views imo. WTC will be right by wall street so you can do all that down by Fidi. I'd recommend the Oculus as well, and if you're up for it the 9/11 museum and memorial.

For more restaurant suggestions I'd take a look around West Village, Greenwich Village as those are scenic walkable neighborhoods with plenty of restaurants.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Ferry to see Statue of Liberty is fine, but no need to hop off..
Every time I've done the Statten Island Ferry trip they clear the boat so you can't stay on but it's a quick and short walk around to board the next departure back.

Though I would caution that you don't get up close and personal with the statue - it's very much an 'in the distance view' but that seems to satisfy most people but leaves others unsatisfied because they have believed the hype that you do get close.

If seeing the statue up close is important then take the offical ferry to SoL and Ellis Island and there is no need to get off at either island if you don't want to.

@shek3112 - re museums - rather than just not do them have a look at their websites and see if there is a special exhibition that might appeal or even just a part of the permanant collections - no need to trek through the greek and roman sections at the Met if they are of no interest.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I was just in New York for three days last month. It was my first time there as well and here's a list of things I was able to see and do

-The original Shake Shack
-Flatiron Building
-Empire State Building
-The High Line (highly recommend)
-Chelsea Market (highly recommend)
-Grand Central Terminal
-Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock (highly recommend)
-Time Square
-9/11 Memorial/Museum (highly recommend)
-Brooklyn Bridge
-Metropolitan Museum of Art
-Central Park

I used CitiPass to book tickets to some of the major attractions listed above. CitiPass allows you to pick and choose different attractions and avoid the line of people buying tickets at the door. As far as accommodations go I booked the New York EDITION. While kind of pricey, it's in a great part of Manhattan and close to a handful of subway stops.

Last edited by PassengerPoldberg; Oct 19, 2017 at 7:50 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:59 am

Believe "oculus", century 21st (the shop), WTC tower are all very close to reach other (a very short walk), is that correct ?
seems to be a 10 mns walk to Battery park ? correct ?
Little confused with some posts, about taking a ferry to staten island to see the statue of liberty ?
Why not taking the ferry to the statue direct ?

In my experience
- Top of the rock line were never more than few minutes
- Empire state: never less than 30 mns / 1 hour
- Does WTC is more empire state or top of the rock waiting time ?

thank you very much
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by CGRA
Little confused with some posts, about taking a ferry to staten island to see the statue of liberty ?
Staten Island ferry is free (and fun to do once). Going to the Statue of Liberty = $
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Staten Island ferry is free (and fun to do once). Going to the Statue of Liberty = $
Thank you for the info.

Is it encouraged to book the statue ferry in advance ?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
@shek3112 - re museums - rather than just not do them have a look at their websites and see if there is a special exhibition that might appeal or even just a part of the permanant collections - no need to trek through the greek and roman sections at the Met if they are of no interest.
Thanks @UKtravelbear ! I'll give it a look and let my parents decide whether they want to go to those exhibitions or not~
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience
We did WTC last summer I think (2016) on a clear weekend day - you can buy timed tickets in advance, and the line wasn't that bad at all. Probably less than 30 minutes to the top, but that includes security screening, photo-taking, and the walkthrough exhibits at ground level.

I've done 30 Rock a few times over the last ~5 years and it's also usually pretty quick.

I'm surprised the ESB is still so bad with all the competition. The last time (2-3 years ago) I went all out and paid for the VIP/express access and 102nd floor (because in all my years I never made it up there), but it was probably like $50
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: pleb
Believe "oculus", century 21st (the shop), WTC tower are all very close to reach other (a very short walk), is that correct ?
seems to be a 10 mns walk to Battery park ? correct ?

In my experience

thank you very much
Oculus is the subway station structure outside the Freedom tower, so it's not even a short walk. More like around the corner. And correct, about a 10 min walk to Battery Park.

Your last question, are you asking wait time comparison between the 3? WTC and Top of the Rock usually pretty quick.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
We did WTC last summer I think (2016) on a clear weekend day - you can buy timed tickets in advance, and the line wasn't that bad at all. Probably less than 30 minutes to the top, but that includes security screening, photo-taking, and the walkthrough exhibits at ground level.

I've done 30 Rock a few times over the last ~5 years and it's also usually pretty quick.

I'm surprised the ESB is still so bad with all the competition. The last time (2-3 years ago) I went all out and paid for the VIP/express access and 102nd floor (because in all my years I never made it up there), but it was probably like $50
Thank you for the info
Probably ESB is more popular so longer line
express access and regular access are not that far price's wise.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Oculus is the subway station structure outside the Freedom tower, so it's not even a short walk. More like around the corner. And correct, about a 10 min walk to Battery Park.

Your last question, are you asking wait time comparison between the 3? WTC and Top of the Rock usually pretty quick.
Thank you. So one more reason to experience the subway

Maybe as WTC is relatively new the line are not that long

Thank you again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.