Wiki Posts
Search

What to see in New York in two days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Sure, many people have had terrific experiences. Others have arrived to find their vacation lodging turned out to be unsafe, not as advertised, or just plain not there.

I'm not a fan of encouraging folks to break the law. I'm surprised you have such a cavalier attitude about this.
It is not illegal to stay at an AirBnB. The vast, vast, vast majority of people using AirBnB have had good experiences. Some have not, just like some who have stayed in hotels.

I have read about more people being scammed renting apartments on a long-term basis in NYC than renting AirBnBs. Do you recommend against renting apartments in NYC?

I have read about more people being scammed by taxi drivers in NYC than renting AirBnBs. Do you recommend against taking taxis in NYC?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:12 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Now you're just saying "but that is bad so we should ignore this". That's never a valid response.

Renting out an Airbnb in most cases is illegal in NYC, for many reasons including that no one is vouching for the safety of the units as well as to try to keep as many apartments available for New York residents instead of renting them out at high prices to visitors. So by renting an airbnb you are abetting a crime.

It's illegal.

If you want to recommend folks do something illegal, that's on you. If you want to obfuscate the argument by bringing in subjects that are totally unrelated to this that just shows how weak your position is.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Now you're just saying "but that is bad so we should ignore this". That's never a valid response.
Thank you for passing on the validity of my response. Let's have a look at your original foray on this point:

Do know that Airbnb and such is almost always illegal in NYC, especially in Manhattan, so many of the listings there are scams or could just disappear when you arrive, so stay away from those.
In your desire to make AirBnB as unattractive as possible, you obfuscate two separate arguments, the legality of AirBnB and the safety of AirBnB. Irrespective of what you think of the validity of my arguments, I have tried to unpack yours and address them separately to better help folks make their own decision.

1. It is not illegal to rent an AirBnB. It is often illegal for the renter to rent an apartment using AirBnB, but it is not illegal for a visitor to rent one. That it's illegal for the renter to rent may be sufficient reason for some, perhaps including you, to stay away. I personally do not think it's unethical for each prospective user to weigh the issues in play and reach his or her own decision on the ethical thing to do. On the one hand, AirBnB may further deplete the housing stock in NYC, making housing even more expensive for long-term residents. And because it's not licensed by the city or state, there are no requirements with respect to insurance or safety (other than the general regulations that apply to the safety of housing in NYC). On the other hand, AirBnB may allow some NYC residents, who might not otherwise be able to afford to live where they do, to generate supplemental income to make a very expensive city more affordable. It's also, for many, a great way to visit a city, particularly compared with the genericness of most hotels. And some of us might be suspicious of the power of the hotel lobby and hotel unions who exert incredible pressure to help keep AirBnB illegal. (This said from someone who, in general, considers himself to be pro-union.)

2. A completely separate issue is the possibility of being scammed using AirBnB. In my response -- which you have decided is "invalid" -- I have tried to show that the risk of many other commonplace activities may present greater risk. People in general are not good at assessing risks. Simply saying that someone might get scammed doesn't provide sufficient context to accurately access the risk of the situation. One might get hit by a bus crossing a street. Should one therefor not cross the street? I am just trying to provide some context to your suggestion that using AirBnB is risky. I think it's not risky. But as with virtually any endeavor, one needs to take reasonable precaution because no activity is entirely without risk.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Zanzon Shtayeh
Dear All,

I am looking for accommodation in newyork for me and my friend in late October for two days.
We want to do a tour in the city, i think Manhattan is a good place to stay?

Do you have any option/suggestion from where i can find cheap accommodation, I have tried several websites including airbnb.com and roomster.com , is there other good website that i can search for a motel?

Looking forward to your reply.
Look up the Leo House.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:29 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I stand by my comments. Most Airbnbs in NYC are illegal, and none have been inspected for safety.

And that's the last I'll say about it in this thread.
BearX220, KENNECTED and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Zanzon Shtayeh
Dear All
Im coming to San Fransisco for a week with my work on October, and then i want to go to visit new york for a couple of days
I don't know where you are coming from, but WHY would you want to fly across the country to NYC for a couple of days? Stay on the West Coast and explore there instead!!!!

Mostly we just wander around when we visit NYC, knocking off a couple "must do" things each time. Our last trip (July 2017) we finally did the tour of the NY Public Library and an architectural boat tour that circumnavigated Manhattan. It was amazing!!! Probably not what I'd recommend for a first time visit of 2-3 days, but a great choice for us.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I don't know where you are coming from, but WHY would you want to fly across the country to NYC for a couple of days? Stay on the West Coast and explore there instead!!!!
Because this may be the OP's only chance of seeing NYC at reasonable cost as a side trip on a work trip?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Because this may be the OP's only chance of seeing NYC at reasonable cost as a side trip on a work trip?
Sure, but we don't know. If there isn't enough money to stay in Manhattan and make the trip "worthwhile" (however one defines value) I still would choose another place to explore.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
As much as I love my hometown (NYC), I wouldn't fly across the U.S. to explore it for just a couple days...spending that much time on a plane wouldn't be worth it (I know, this is FT, where everyone loves to fly ). If the OP is coming from SFO, I would explore the Bay Area more or see one of the other cities that does not require as much time / changing time zones by as much. Examples would be Seattle, Portland OR, LA, San Diego, just to name a handful...
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Do know that Airbnb and such is almost always illegal in NYC, especially in Manhattan, so many of the listings there are scams or could just disappear when you arrive, so stay away from those.

NYC isn't cheap. Unless you pick a real off peak time to visit expect to pay $200/night at least.
I have stayed at a JFK airport hotel for half that price. If one is on a budget, one could stay there the entire time but I often stay there for one night at the beginning or end of a trip.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:04 pm

Have been searching through and finally find this thread which helps me a lot!
I am looking for more advises from fellow FTers, please feel free to comment on my below idea! thanks a lot!

Background: going to a conference in Dec, got a stopover in NYC from 1 Dec late night till 3 Dec early morning
I am a finance person, and bringing my parents over (who are over 65 yo), none of us being a museum person (E.g. we went to British Museum but started to feel like going out it within 1.5hrs...). They should be rested pretty well travelling in flatbed on the flight, so i suppose we can start the tour at 8-9am sharp

Planning to do a look at Wall Street and the Bull statue, then Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty
then Brooklyn Bridge Park for lunch (heard there are good restaurants there?)
then pass through Grand Central station, go up Empire State Building
dinner @ dunno where
then times square

Any comments are welcomed! thanks a lot!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I don't think you'll get that much from Grand Central or Empire State. I think you'd enjoy a walk across Brooklyn Bridge and possibly walking around Brooklyn pier parks. You're also near Chinatown which is interesting. Rather than Empire State, you're very close to World Trade Center, so you can enjoy that. High Line is a nice walk. Also, Battery Park has a lot of nice places to shop, eat, walk. 9/11 Museum is nearby, which is interesting.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan
I don't think you'll get that much from Grand Central
I agree with most everything else you said but this. I have been living in the burbs for years now and I always take friends and visitors to Grand Central. The scale of it amazes them.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan
I don't think you'll get that much from Grand Central or Empire State. I think you'd enjoy a walk across Brooklyn Bridge and possibly walking around Brooklyn pier parks. You're also near Chinatown which is interesting. Rather than Empire State, you're very close to World Trade Center, so you can enjoy that. High Line is a nice walk. Also, Battery Park has a lot of nice places to shop, eat, walk. 9/11 Museum is nearby, which is interesting.
Thanks for the advice @closetasfan !
I've heard that there are good views from Empire State top level so I included it in. I'll see if we can try a Brooklyn walk after lunch (if it's not that cold...!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet
I agree with most everything else you said but this. I have been living in the burbs for years now and I always take friends and visitors to Grand Central. The scale of it amazes them.
Thanks @JumboJet !
May I know how would you compare the Grand Central to Kings Cross in London?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.