Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

La Guardia Jetbridges

La Guardia Jetbridges

Old May 19, 17, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
La Guardia Jetbridges

Three of my past eight arrivals at La Guardia airport have been delayed by a malfunctioning jetbridge. These trips have all been on Thursdays over Mar/April/May. Is there some sort of systemic reason for all these malfunctions? The reason we've been given varies from "the jetbridge cant meet the plane" to "they can't get the door open." Just bad luck?

For what it is worth, I usually use gates in the recently-renovated Terminal C
Old May 19, 17, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably old jet bridges.
Old May 19, 17, 5:56 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
LGA is pretty much held together with duct tape, rubber bands, and chewing gum. Mounts all the poster board and Crayola painted surfaces!

Jet bridges eventually wear down badly. Considering it's an airport right near water, outside conditions, and metal tubes, you can bet they'll breakdown occasionally.
Old May 20, 17, 8:30 am

Considering the terminal (C) opened in 1992, those jetways are DATED.
Old May 20, 17, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Server View Post
LGA is pretty much held together with duct tape, rubber bands, and chewing gum. Mounts all the poster board and Crayola painted surfaces!
Pretty typical for a third-world country really. Nothing to see here, keep moving..
Old May 21, 17, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by China Clipper View Post
Pretty typical for a third-world country really. Nothing to see here, keep moving..
I've been on record that there are HUNDREDS of third world country airports that are much nicer, cleaner and more pleasant than La Guardia.

LGA is easily the worst airport in the system, especially for the traffic it does.

There may be more dated, falling apart airports out there but they're reserved for the Cessna club, or they run deep-discount charters. Certainly nothing like the traffic that flows through LGA.
Old May 21, 17, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Boogie711 View Post
I've been on record that there are HUNDREDS of third world country airports that are much nicer, cleaner and more pleasant than La Guardia..
You're right, of course. When I typed that, I was thinking about the <i>worst </i>third-world airports. Most third-world airports offer a vastly more pleasant and civilized experience than LGA.
Old May 21, 17, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Those of us on the west coast are blissfully unaware of the deterioration of LGA. We can't fly there nonstop, though it looks like we might opt against that were we given the choice.
Old May 22, 17, 6:02 am
TPP

Programs: DL, US, AA
This has happened to me several times when coming into EWR the past year or so. Its really a letdown when the plane lands early and then has to sit for 15 minutes at the gate waiting on the jetbridge. It has happened with such frequency that I think there is something else going on and there is no malfunction. Labor availability issues perhaps?
Old May 22, 17, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Those of us on the west coast are blissfully unaware of the deterioration of LGA. We can't fly there nonstop, though it looks like we might opt against that were we given the choice.
As do some of us! It's worth the extra 15-20 minutes on subway/airtrain to go to JFK.