Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EZ Pass question (what's the strength of it?)

Old May 9, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know how strong the EZ Pass signal is?

If I have the EZ Pass in my backpack while in a taxi and it goes through a toll, would my pass be read?

Does it need clear line of sight to the reader for it to work?

Can it be read through materials? like clothing, etc

Thank you
Old May 9, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the car roof is between the pass and the reader, it probably won't read. If the only thing between the pass and the reader is backpack and fabric and glass, it will probably work.

Try it and see.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you *don't* want it read? Then put it in the shielding bag it came in, or else you can supposedly wrap it in aluminium foil.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you put it facing the wrong way (i.e. put the side with the velcro facing down), and put something solid and hopefully metal on it (Iike a laptop) it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I've gone through the gates in cabs with an EZ Pass in my briefcase on many occasions, and have never had a problem.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This is an interesting question. I always travel with one (as well as a SunPass, which is used in many southern states), and if it were charged I probably wouldn't notice. But reading this I was reminded that when in my computer bag it's always in the shielded bag it came in.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I assume you *don't* want it read? Then put it in the shielding bag it came in, or else you can supposedly wrap it in aluminium foil.
I knew I should have kept that bag lol.
Guess I'll go with the tin foil method.

Thanks
Old May 10, 2017, 3:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I used to have an EZ-Pass issued by the PA Turnpike Authority; I switched to an MTA-issued one once I learned that I wouldn't get a discount on many of the NYC crossings. When I mailed it back, I somehow got charged for a toll on the NJ Turnpike. I never figured out if it somehow got read while in the back of the mail truck or if was just some sort of human error.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sard
I knew I should have kept that bag lol.
Guess I'll go with the tin foil method.

Thanks
If it's an E-Z Pass transponder issued by any agency within New York State, you can order read-prevention bags (and additional mounting strips, when needed) by calling the E-Z Pass New York service center, or by logging into your account online.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
If it's an E-Z Pass transponder issued by any agency within New York State, you can order read-prevention bags (and additional mounting strips, when needed) by calling the E-Z Pass New York service center, or by logging into your account online.
^ I looked quickly online (google search) and it seemed like while they're super-cheap, you have to generally buy in bulk, so I suggested the foil method.

Looks like they may even be free from NY EZpass! ("Vehicles & Tags -> Request Supplies")
Old May 10, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by sard
Does anyone know how strong the EZ Pass signal is?

If I have the EZ Pass in my backpack while in a taxi and it goes through a toll, would my pass be read?
How come you have the EZ Pass with you? Technically you're not allowed to use it on a car rental, or any vehicle not registed on your account.

dh
Old May 10, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dhammer53
How come you have the EZ Pass with you? Technically you're not allowed to use it on a car rental, or any vehicle not registed on your account.

dh
I use them in rental cars all the time without a problem. On rare occasion I remember to log into my account and register the rental car; usually I do not.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I no longer own a car but cross the Hudson at least 10-15 times a year in rental cars. I've never had a problem getting and using an E-Z Pass and have never bothered to update the registration.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
I use it dozens of times a year in multiple rental cars, and have never had an issue.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
EZ-Pass can be used on any rental vehicles of the same class, per NY rules -
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/rentalcars.shtml

I used to have 2 EZP tags from NYC but now only kept one for personal vehicle, and just transfer it when needed - several times a year, it is used on Hertz LE rentals as well - never had any issues from EZ-Pass or Hertz.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
EZ-Pass can be used on any rental vehicles of the same class, per NY rules -
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/rentalcars.shtml

I used to have 2 EZP tags from NYC but now only kept one for personal vehicle, and just transfer it when needed - several times a year, it is used on Hertz LE rentals as well - never had any issues from EZ-Pass or Hertz.
Yep, I use mine with Hertz LE rentals all the time. I even called to confirm with EZP and asked what I'm supposed to put in as the car license plate when I plan on only using it for rentals and got told to just "make it up."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.