Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Get ready for a new area code in NYC

Old May 3, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

NYC to add 332 area code on June 10. I guess we continue to grow, or something. Yikes!

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode, back in the day, when they added the 646 area code (I think it was)?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by ysolde
NYC to add 332 area code on June 10. I guess we continue to grow, or something. Yikes!

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode, back in the day, when they added the 646 area code (I think it was)?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My 310 area code for cell phone (and at time landline) is no longer available in LA. I'm definitely keeping the cell phone/not changing that number!

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There was an article about shrinking original area codes. If memory serves it focused on San Francisco and 415 area code. Apparently it's only good for a few blocks now.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Sigh.... I remember when all the boroughs were 212
Old May 3, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Area codes are increasingly irrelevant with pretty much every calling plan offering free nationwide calls, overlay area codes, and people keeping their mobile phone numbers when they move. Those of us in the North American Numbering Plan should think in terms of 10-digit phone numbers without worrying about the historical purpose of the first three digits. That purpose is from the days of relay-operated switching equipment and rotary-dial telephones. Let it go.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Efrem
Area codes are increasingly irrelevant with pretty much every calling plan offering free nationwide calls, overlay area codes, and people keeping their mobile phone numbers when they move. Those of us in the North American Numbering Plan should think in terms of 10-digit phone numbers without worrying about the historical purpose of the first three digits. That purpose is from the days of relay-operated switching equipment and rotary-dial telephones. Let it go.
Well in LA if you had a 310 area code it meant you were along the beach

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:56 pm

I was at a networking event last night and someone gave me a business card with area code 860. I said "ah, I see you have a CT phone number" and then we talked about how your cell phone number is a key identifier these days and a lot of people don't change them when they move because it is a source of identity both the fact that friends have that number and the area code identifying a place you may claim to be from.

My cell is from a town across the border in SC, but my google voice and sideline numbers are 704.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
2s and 1s were the Holy Grail of area codes when you had to actually dial the numbers into your rotary phone. Zeros were for "rural" areas.

Which is why New York City got 212, LA got 213, and Chicago got 312. While poor Hawaii got 808-pretty much the longest "dial" possible when area codes were first implemented.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL
When I was a kid in NJ, there was one area code, 201. My parents have lived in the same house and had the same phone number for fifty years, but they're on their third area code, having been shuffled into 908 at some point, and now 732.

I live in a state that is still using a single area code--amazingly, there are still 12 of these. I figured it would be maybe two or three, but no.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
2s and 1s were the Holy Grail of area codes when you had to actually dial the numbers into your rotary phone. Zeros were for "rural" areas.

Which is why New York City got 212, LA got 213, and Chicago got 312. While poor Hawaii got 808-pretty much the longest "dial" possible when area codes were first implemented.
I grew up in Alaska. We tied with Hawaii.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by wrp96
I grew up in Alaska. We tied with Hawaii.
I grew up in PR. We got 809. Then in the late 80s/early 90s, all sorts of telemarketers and scammers started using that area code, so it got switched to 787. Much more fun for someone who loves to fly, anyway.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by travelmad478
When I was a kid in NJ, there was one area code, 201. My parents have lived in the same house and had the same phone number for fifty years, but they're on their third area code, having been shuffled into 908 at some point, and now 732.

I live in a state that is still using a single area code--amazingly, there are still 12 of these. I figured it would be maybe two or three, but no.
wow, 12!?!

I can think of the following single area-code states off the top of my head:

1) RI 401
2) ME 207
3) MT 406
4) SD 605
5) WY 307
6) the above mentioned 808 in HI
7) I forget Alaska's 9-something, maybe
8) Idaho 208, just added a second

Is the District still just 202?
Old May 3, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
7) I forget Alaska's 9-something, maybe

Funnily enough the listings of area codes I first found using the google were missing ones. For example, one listing I found only showed two area codes for Arkansas, when there are actually 3. So it may be down to less than 12 by now.

Other states with only one code (assuming the list is correct): Vermont, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Delaware This list shows DC as only having one.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:40 pm

I think somehow, some way, we'll manage to survive this even though a new area code is days away!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.