Wiki Posts
Search

BA177 (landing 16:15) to NYC how long

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
The queue I referred to was in the CORRIDOR before you even got to the CBP area (where the GE terminals are located)--it wasn't until CBP agents came through, directing US Citizens veer left, "others" right, freeing up the tangled mass of pax.
T7 (older terminal) has less space than T8 for pax queued for agents, so the lines backup in the CORRIDOR.
Just go past them. The vast majority are waiting for CBP officers.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just go past them. The vast majority are waiting for CBP officers.
Yeah, they won't mind at all.

Originally Posted by sbm12
That has not been my experience. My card locked out the one time I tried.
Originally Posted by Blumie
If that's the case it would be a change from how it used to work. I once tried to get five of us through. After swiping in my four guests, I was left out in the cold.
Hmm. I wonder if something changed, perhaps when they allowed dual pay-per-ride and unlimited cards, or perhaps even longer ago (a decade?). Some of the language I recall on the MTA website is no longer there. I do recall that 4 was the limit to get the free transfers, but nothing about any general limit. Anyway, it's still better than, say the DC metro, where a card is only good for one person.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, they won't mind at all.
Lol, I couldn't care less whether they mind or not. I can't see the point in queuing when you are not actually waiting for the same thing unless it is some kind of gesture of solidarity
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
The yellow cabs from JFK have a set fare of $60, I believe, to Manhattan. So if you're happy to sit in the back of one for as long as it takes then I would do this over the AirTrain/subway. But that's my own preference. NY traffic is always crazy regardless of time/date/weather etc. But 45mins is your quickest time to Manhattan. 1.30hr if it's really bad.
I did this trip yesterday at 3:30 pm, T8 Door 3 to 8th Avenue and 48th Street (West Side) with Uber.

On the clock: After luggage collected walked to Door 3 of T8 and texted Uber. Three minutes (no exaggeration) later, driver appears in a Toyota Avensis, two large suitcases fit into the trunk, and we are on our way. Driver spoke English and Spanish. Took requests for radio station, or silence. Asked if car temperature was right. Driver did not smell.

Rainy afternoon but northbound traffic moving smoothly on the Van Wyck. Queens-Midtown Tunnel smooth (no-stop-for-toll blessing). Driver chose to double back to cross town on 34th Street rather than fight 42nd. Probably a good decision. Traffic crowded but moving. Door to door 40 minutes. Cost, $52 all-in.

Lesson: Short any publicly-traded taxi companies.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Would checked baggage usually arrive promptly at T7?

HBO would be a bit tight I think
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by stewaran
Would checked baggage usually arrive promptly at T7?

HBO would be a bit tight I think
My guess is that some people will respond to your inquiry with some nightmare story involving a snowstorm and a three-hour delay in baggage delivery, or in an hour-long wait for no apparent reason. But those stories notwithstanding, on most occasions you can expect reasonably prompt baggage delivery.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
My guess is that some people will respond to your inquiry with some nightmare story involving a snowstorm and a three-hour delay in baggage delivery, or in an hour-long wait for no apparent reason. But those stories notwithstanding, on most occasions you can expect reasonably prompt baggage delivery.
thanks I'll not panic too much if we can't squeeze everything into hand luggage
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would plan for ~30 minutes from the plane door opening. Not sure I'd qualify that as "reasonably prompt", but YMMV. Global Entry pax will have to wait. Foreign visitors may get their bags by the time they get through passport control. Also, where on the plane you sit and whether your bags are tagged priority will likely impact the potential wait.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I would plan for ~30 minutes from the plane door opening. Not sure I'd qualify that as "reasonably prompt", but YMMV. Global Entry pax will have to wait. Foreign visitors may get their bags by the time they get through passport control. Also, where on the plane you sit and whether your bags are tagged priority will likely impact the potential wait.
I'd agree with that. Sometimes delivery is more prompt, but 30 minutes is not unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.