Wiki Posts
Search

Gov. Cuomo announces new vision for JFK Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

JFK redevelopment announced

Governor Cuomo announced a rebuild of the JFK terminal, traffic pattern and other features today. Looks like T1/2/4 will all be connected inside security and T6/7/8 will be as well (though the T6/7/8 area looks nothing like what exists today).

Also talk of single seat train to NYP and a few other changes.

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:08 pm

Gov. Cuomo announces new vision for JFK Airport

New mega-terminal design (conceptual drawings suggest combining 1-2-4, keeping 5 and combining 7-8).

New central ring road

New central parking facility

Improvements to AirTrain transfer at Jamaica

Expanded road capacity on Van Wyck Expressway

Study of one-seat rail link

Detailed report will be issued shortly.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:25 pm

UPDATE: Highlights's of the JFK Vision

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...tional-airport
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Hopefully it's not as actively moronic as his "plan" for a Laguardia Airtrain to nowhere.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It would be nice if EWR got an overhaul someday (although as a UA flyer, I am generally fine with what Terminal C has to offer. It's the A2 UAX satellite that blows)...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
As one local news reporting on this noted, there is no timetable for completion of these grand vision - which practically any travelers would endorse - let's say it's a 5 year or even 10 year commitment, by the time it is done - some of us would be done flying for a living, realistically say between 2027 to 2032 and beyond And, how is all these going to be paid for

Meanwhile, brace for more Van Wyck modernization - going northbound from JFK last week, there's now 4 full width traffic lanes plus the entrance/exit lane to emerge - roadway has been "straightened" around the Kew Gardens Interchange, the good news. However, the bad news is that the bottleneck after the split/merge from Grand Central Parkway to Jewel Avenue is now the new squeeze, remained to be widen & straighten. In all fairness, traffic was moving faster than what's expected - southbound heading toward JFK, not so sure.

Things are heading in the right directions ... from all the talks lately, it's a starting point. Standby for all the "NIMBY"
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It would be nice if EWR got an overhaul someday (although as a UA flyer, I am generally fine with what Terminal C has to offer. It's the A2 UAX satellite that blows)...
Those plans are already in motion IIRC. Mostly for replacing A.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Wasn't a big piece of the current VW expansion project getting a smooth(er) Kew Gardens interchange.
But in post#2 the Gov acknowledges that the KGI needs a major overhaul.
Has the last 7 years of bottlenecks and delays been just a waste of money and time.
Since the current AirTrain terminates at Howard Beach or Jamaica, the AT requires all pax going to JFK to transfer at HB or J making it a mediocre way to get to JFK. [I recollect that a LIRR spur could have been revamped to have DIRECT service from Penn Sta but the NIMBY "crowd" killed that off.]

Side comment, (nearly) every European (and lots of Asian) cities have DIRECT service from city centers to their airports. In Switzerland (they have an even better setup), without changing trains, one can ride from Zurich airport to nearly every major Swiss city.^]

Last edited by nrr; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:21 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
Since the current AirTrain terminates at Howard Beach or Jamaica, the AT requires all pax going to JFK to transfer at HB or J making it a mediocre way to get to JFK. [I recollect that a LIRR spur could have been revamped to have DIRECT service from Penn Sta but the NIMBY "crowd" killed that off.]
The theory is a flyover from the LIRR tracks to the AirTrain spur at Jamaica that allows a single train journey. It it not a new idea (http://www.politico.com/states/new-y...ossible-010024) but getting it done will require a major effort.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
The theory is a flyover from the LIRR tracks to the AirTrain spur at Jamaica that allows a single train journey. It it not a new idea (http://www.politico.com/states/new-y...ossible-010024) but getting it done will require a major effort.
I'm referring to something I read (though I forgot where) which pre-dates the current AirTrain. The LIRR had/has a spur line which could link Penn Sta. with JFK, but some of that right of way passed through areas of Queens and Brooklyn which had an occasional freight train pass by, would then see a HUGE increase in train traffic--so the NIMBY "crowd" won out.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:23 pm

Any details about the proposal for a single seat ride to NYP? I imagine that it will require cars that can operate with both the AirTrain and the LIRR's electric systems, as well as a dedicated train yard for those cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.