Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New subway service opens January 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

New subway service opens January 1

The Second Avenue Subway will open for public service at 12 noon on Sunday, January 1, 2017. The new service will be an extension of the "Q" train stopping at 63rd St/Lexington Ave, 72nd St/2nd Ave, 86th St/2nd Ave and 96th St/2nd Ave. The new line will link the Upper East Side, West Midtown, the Times Sq/Theater district, Macy's, Union Square and Chinatown.

http://www.mta.info/news/2016/12/19/...-avenue-subway
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was just coming here to post this. here's the NYT Article:

2nd Avenue Subway Will Open on New Year’s Day, M.T.A. Says
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
As much as this thing can potentially benefit me, I'm a bit afraid of the safety of this thing. I walk around and it does not look close to done.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by closetasfan
As much as this thing can potentially benefit me, I'm a bit afraid of the safety of this thing. I walk around and it does not look close to done.
How is it less safe than the other lines? What have specifically seen of the extension that is not close to done and what exactly is "close to done" to you?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk around where?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The 63rd St portion of this line isn't new, I know, but reading this thread has me wondering, why is there no stop at 63rd and 5th? All the other crosstown lines - 59th, 53rd, 42nd, 14th - stop at Lex and then at 5th Avenue. This one stops at Lex and then bypasses 5th before turning downtown.

Was it omitted due to cost? Effect on the park? Neighborhood opposition?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swag
The 63rd St portion of this line isn't new, I know, but reading this thread has me wondering, why is there no stop at 63rd and 5th? All the other crosstown lines - 59th, 53rd, 42nd, 14th - stop at Lex and then at 5th Avenue. This one stops at Lex and then bypasses 5th before turning downtown.

the 63 Street tunnel was built in the late sixties, I would think there was no need or want for a stop at 63 & 5th.

I do remember the "Zoo York" signs inside central Park near the zoo. Back then we could walk to the park and see where the construction was (below). There would all sort of graffiti artists taking over the construction barriers and tagging them "Zoo York Subway" and there were trains tagged "Zoo York". the weird thing is no trains were running along the new portion although it was constructed and this was in the mid 70s.

I'm going to say the original IND, BMT/BRT lines crossed due to competition and transfers from/to El routes. I remember the MTA had to pay something like ½ million dollars to restore the area of the park they destroyed during construction. I do remember kids from lower 5th coming to play in our playground on 86 as the lower eastern part of the park was unavailable for use.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Second Avenue Subway will roll on New Year’s Day — kind of

The new Second Avenue Subway will only have limited service when it gets rolling New Year’s Day, official said Monday.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the MTA will nominally keep their promise of launching the line by around its previously scheduled deadline, at noon Jan. 1.

Trains are expected to run every 6 minutes during peak hours — but only between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. for the first week-and-a-half, officials said….
http://nypost.com/2016/12/19/second-...s-day-kind-of/

I don't remember reading about any consideration of a 63rd & 5th stop for the first phase. The main goal is a 2nd subway line on the east side going downtown along 2nd Ave. Phase 1 was just to 63rd St. Just a week or so ago, the governor was not so sure it would open on time but he was hopeful.

The 2nd phase is to extend the Q to 125th St with costs estimated to be at $6B. Maybe they will start construction in 2019. So again, no mention of a 5th Ave/63rd St.

If you're interested in the history of this boondoggle, read this piece from today. It's an interesting report and includes info about how $500M in gov't bonds for a 2nd Ave subway in the 1950s were spent elsewhere in MTA system. This whole project has been a mess from decades past.

A Brief History Of The Long-Awaited Second Avenue Subway

The Second Avenue Subway finally has a set opening date, nearly a decade after its most recent official groundbreaking. It's been a long road for this particular project, and an even longer one for the line as a whole, which was first conceived in the 1920s, then broke ground in 1972 before getting relegated to the sad graveyard of deferred transit dreams. The Second Avenue Subway has a rich history in these parts, and though it's still got a long way to go—construction on Phase II won't begin until at least 2019, and who knows if Governor Cuomo will ever let us have Phase III—it's worth diving into how we got this far, so...here we go! (Information provided by the MTA, unless noted otherwise.)
….
http://gothamist.com/2016/12/21/2nd_...ay_history.php
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Functional and done are very different things.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT

No need for a stop there as you have service at 59th street/5th Avenue. I do think Phase II will be built, but anything beyond that is a pipe dream and would need massive federal help to fund.
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
No need for a stop there as you have service at 59th street/5th Avenue. I do think Phase II will be built, but anything beyond that is a pipe dream and would need massive federal help to fund.
Cheers
Howie
I'm confused by your comment. The N/R run in the 59 street tunnel (different than the 63 street tunnel) and there is a station at 59/5th avenue. The 63 street tunnel does not have 5th avenue station.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Introducing the Second Avenue Subway

Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm confused by your comment. The N/R run in the 59 street tunnel (different than the 63 street tunnel) and there is a station at 59/5th avenue. The 63 street tunnel does not have 5th avenue station.
The F train, which runs in the 63rd St. tunnel has a stop at 57th and 6th which is quite close to 59/5th.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AMflier
The F train, which runs in the 63rd St. tunnel has a stop at 57th and 6th which is quite close to 59/5th.
I'm well aware of where the stations and the entrances/exits are located.

In all honestly, I do not think the the F (on 6th Ave) and the N/R (5th Ave) stops are "quite close" in NY terms.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I went to the opening of the subway and the new stations are very nice. Nice wide mezzanines and very large platforms. Hopefully the next train countdown indicators will come online soon. I will say this will make it easier for someone on the Eastside to travel to/from the Westside without having to transfer at Grand Central, Union Square or one of the other long underground transfer points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.