Airport - Manhattan travel this week

Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:46 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Dear Forum,

I read the other threads but wanted to reach out for specific advice.

We are travelling to NYC this week and arrive at LGA around 2 pm. We will only have hand luggage so do not need a taxi and want to save money where possible. Our hotel is near Penn Station.

What mode of transportation would you recommend from LGA to Penn Station? I have not travelled in NYC for several years; so not sure if things have changed.

Also, what would you do in reverse to get to JFK the following week?

Also, is there still a one week subway pass? Is it recommended?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

William
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Wharvey,

You can take the bus that runs LGA/125th street, and take that to the subway.
It's a free transfer. Your cost is 1 fare. https://bustime.mta.info/m/?q=M60-SBS
Take the bus to Broadway and 116th street, where you can catch the train to Penn Station. It's a 30 minute ride to Lexington, so add time to 116th street and Broadway stop.

The other option is to take the Q33 bus to the subway (E train) to Penn Station. As noted below, this is no longer an option.
More here > https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._New_York.html

I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by dhammer53; Dec 20, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
If you have an Amex card: https://www.uber.com/promo/american-...rt-rides-2016/
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
MTA's unlimited 7 day MetroCard is available @ $31.00 plus $1 for the card - it's good if you plan to ride the subways & buses around - break even is 12 trips as single trip is $2.75 each.

Q70 trip to Jackson Heights/Woodside for the subway transfer possibly a little faster than M60 going to Upper Manhattan/Harlem to catch the downtown train. Both are SBS services, after getting the MetroCard, be sure to locate the SBS ticketing machine & get a printed receipt first, before boarding the bus - there are no fare boxes & board using all doors when the bus pull up to the stop. (Select Bus Services ... on select MTA bus routes)http://www.mta.info/press-release/ny...uardia-airport
http://www.mta.info/press-release/ny...k%E2%80%9D-bus

From hotel/Penn Station area, money saver would be to take the E subway train out to Jamaica and upstairs to connect to the JFK AirTrain - $5 per ride on the AirTrain. However, the unlimited ride Metro Card cannot be used - so you will need to use a regular Metro Card for that, add a $1 for the card itself. (BTW, nearly all of NYC's 200+ subway station platforms should be free Wi-Fi enabled by the end of December - signage should be posted with the rollout, another traveler's convenience long overdue ... finally)

Footnote - LGA terminal/interior roadway traffic last week (especially on Thursday & Friday afternoon has been a big mess, not a surprise with the ongoing airport construction & service road detours) ... bumper to bumper. Have patience & go with the flow, make a bathroom stop before heading outside & board your mode of transportation - since you aren't in a hurry. Grand Central Parkway was backed up all the way east to the Kew Gardens interchange south of LIE coming from JFK, and coming from Manhattan, backed up almost to the RFK Bridge to LGA exits ... not a pretty sight. Weather-wise, it's good for travel this week.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Wharvey,

You can take the bus that runs LGA/125th street, and take that to the subway.
It's a free transfer. Your cost is 1 fare. https://bustime.mta.info/m/?q=M60-SBS
Take the bus to Broadway and 116th street, where you can catch the train to Penn Station. It's a 30 minute ride to Lexington, so add time to 116th street and Broadway stop.

The other option is to take the Q33 bus to the subway (E train) to Penn Station.
More here > https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._New_York.html

I'm sure others will chime in.
The Q33 no longer serves LGA; it's been replaced by the much faster Q70 SBS service, as noted by another poster.

Depending on exactly where the OP's hotel is, taking the M60 to the Astoria Boulevard N/Q elevated station (instead of riding the bus all the way to Manhattan), and then riding one of those trains to 34th Street/Herald Square, might be another good option.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

This might be the winner! :-)

For people who have used this code, can we put in in our account now or do we have to wait until ready to use it?

Originally Posted by NickW
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:15 pm

Whenever you see Uber codes you should put them in your account immediately.

If you haven't put it in your account yet, though, I don't think you'll be able to with this one, as I think the maximum number of redemptions was met some time ago (once you put it in your account, you've "redeemed" it, whether or not you ultimately use it).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I have never used my Uber account; hubby uses his.

It did let me add to my account.

Originally Posted by themicah
Whenever you see Uber codes you should put them in your account immediately.

If you haven't put it in your account yet, though, I don't think you'll be able to with this one, as I think the maximum number of redemptions was met some time ago (once you put it in your account, you've "redeemed" it, whether or not you ultimately use it).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:35 pm

Great!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
I have never used my Uber account; hubby uses his.

It did let me add to my account.
If you have multiple CCs loaded in your Uber account, be sure to select your AmEx as the payment source for this trip!

You can most likely ride UberBLACK from LGA and be around ~$65

Have a good trip!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help!

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
If you have multiple CCs loaded in your Uber account, be sure to select your AmEx as the payment source for this trip!

You can most likely ride UberBLACK from LGA and be around ~$65

Have a good trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.