Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC: What happened? Helicopter transfer from JFK almost non-existent

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Question NYC: What happened? Helicopter transfer from JFK almost non-existent

Do you remember? Tech and travel blogs couldn't get enough of it in 2015 - helicopters zipping travelers from JFK Airport to Manhattan on a regular basis, and for not much more than the cost (per seat) of a cab ride that went the same distance.

Now they are almost impossible to find. What happened?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Question Some research & one question

So, I did a little personal research.

If you visit nysubway.com the site will still tell you that US Helicopter flights are available at a minimum of $159. That company, however, is defunct, and apparently has been since 2009. I hope they update their site soon.

The New York Post raved about another company, Gotham Air, in 2015 (which still exists): "I felt like a ....... And I hate using the word ....... But there is simply no other way to explain it. Who takes helicopters to the airport? Rock stars. Oscar winners. Real estate tycoons. Christian Grey... and me. Me!"

One Mile At A Time put things in a more literal perspective: "Gotham Air seems to want to be the Uber equivalent of NYC helicopter transfers..."

The "Uber-for-helicopters" game has another lonely player, still in existence, known as Blade.

Blade currently offers seats on its JFK transfer service called Bounce for about $300.

Have you ever used helicopter transfer from NYC airports to your destination?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

That's an interesting question. I know that Brian Kelly, thepointsguy, takes Blade frequently as he shows it on Snapchat.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:23 pm

I can't find any of them advertised on the airport website.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Gotham Air shutdown in May, when I tried to use them I just gave up in frustration.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
It's common for the affordable ones to not follow through if they don't have enough customers.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Does anyone still do airport to airport? Once of my coolest experiences as a kid was Pan Am flying us I want to say LGA to JFK on a helicopter for an international connection.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:42 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I used Gotham Air last year...but I do remember CO's website offering NY Helicopter transfers to EWR for a relatively low price.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:53 pm

I hadn't thought about these in a while. A friend used to use them from time to time.

I might have tried it once for a special "Look what we can do!" occasion. But given the limited options for where to land in Manhattan (was it just at 33rd at the Hudson River?), most people who could afford the helicopter would still take a cab at that point to wherever they were going. So did it really save that much time? With the AirTrain and subway (or even LIRR) one can get to about the same area of Manhattan in an hour. By the time one checks in for the helicopter, rides it, and takes another cab, isn't that about an hour anyway?

Seth
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
So... Is any of the companies still in business?
I will be flying out of JFK on Monday (January 30), and I've thought about booking a helicopter tour in NYC anyway - so I thought I might be able to combine the two.
Yes, it would be a short ride, but it save me both time and money... provided there are companies who still offer the shuttle for a reasonable fee...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the New York Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by teCh0010
Does anyone still do airport to airport? Once of my coolest experiences as a kid was Pan Am flying us I want to say LGA to JFK on a helicopter for an international connection.
I did JFK-EWR which (I think) was complimentary for PanAm F pax connecting.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I do not believe any of them are.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Well, it seems like Blade still exist, but then again, 300 bucks per passenger and a waitlist aren't really what I'm looking for...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I will be flying out of JFK on Monday (January 30), and I've thought about booking a helicopter tour in NYC anyway - so I thought I might be able to combine the two.
Yes, it would be a short ride, but it save me both time and money... provided there are companies who still offer the shuttle for a reasonable fee...
These guys will do it for $295

https://www.flyblade.com/bounce/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.