Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Help planning EWR to Katz's Deli run

Help planning EWR to Katz's Deli run

Old Oct 26, 16, 12:30 pm

Great trip report! Glad it all worked out, and yes, how WAS the sandwich?
Old Oct 26, 16, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by binkata View Post
I think this would have been an easy walk even at midnight, at least up to Times Square. Any later than that and I would have taken a cab or Uber to Penn Station to catch a train back to the airport.
I think the Newark Airport Express doesn't run between about 1.30 am and 4.30 am in any case.
Old Oct 27, 16, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

The pastrami was good but not as tender as I had expected, so I prefer my homemade pastrami. The mustard they use was fantastic, but the rye bread was unremarkable. I couldn't taste much caraway over the mustard. The heaping side of mac salad was also good. It wasn't a cheap meal: with a bottle of water, the total came to around $31. (It feeds 2 people, though.)

They have a system where everyone gets a paper ticket walking in, and the people working behind the counter write what you've ordered on it. You must have a ticket to turn in at the cashier on the way out, even if you don't order anything; lost ticket pays $50.

The ticket guy who's Snoop Dogg's doppelganger has a good sense of humor when asked to tell stories about people who resist the ticket system. It makes standing in line listening to him bark instructions to people much more palatable.

As for the Newark Airport Express, it pulled up to the Port Authority Bus Station bay right on time. I bought a ticket through their website on my phone, but a man later showed up to work the little podium they have. He scanned the QR code on my e-ticket and printed out a receipt. I imagine he sells tickets too.

I was the only one on the bus and was taken directly to Terminal C. The seat was very plush--more comfortable than the UA economy seats I'd been in all weekend, for sure.

The last pickup in Manhattan is at the Port Authority Bus Station at 2am. It doesn't pick up from there again until 5am (though it leaves Grand Central at 4:45am). It was a little late picking up from EWR at 5pm, which is why I opted to Uber it.
Old Oct 27, 16, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
The pastrami was good but not as tender as I had expected, so I prefer my homemade pastrami. The mustard they use was fantastic, but the rye bread was unremarkable. I couldn't taste much caraway over the mustard. The heaping side of mac salad was also good. It wasn't a cheap meal: with a bottle of water, the total came to around $31. (It feeds 2 people, though.)
Sorry you didn't enjoy the meat more. But, yeah, it boggles the mind that they continue to use crummy (no pun intended) bread.

The ticketing system dates back to the dawn of time and is part of the "charm" of the place!
Old Oct 27, 16, 5:38 pm

I imagine he sells tickets too.
He gets on the bus at the PABT and either checks your ticket or sells you a ticket.

As for coming from Newark it's not always on time so you don't always have to be exact.

As for seats they also have a few city buses that do the run which is probably going to be less comfortable than UA economy!

Next time you could try Russ & Daughters or 2nd Ave.
Old Oct 30, 16, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
Next time you could try Russ & Daughters or 2nd Ave.
I'm hoping to return to NYC in the springtime to spend a little more time visiting my old college roommate. I've heard good things about Russ & Daughters, so I'll add it to the list.

Thanks again to everyone. I now have a better strategy for my next trip.
Old Oct 31, 16, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post

The ticketing system dates back to the dawn of time and is part of the "charm" of the place!
In those days, when we were young, the prices on the ticket usually covered a sandwich, fries, and a drink.

dh
Old Oct 31, 16, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I suggest you try out 2nd ave Deli on your next time coming through EWR. I like them a lot better than Katz's. I'm more of a brisket man myself but I think you'll like their service, slaw, pickles , bread and the egg cream (all of this is included in the sandwich purchase) over the Katz's experience.
I often do their soup & 1/2 sandwich deal. Excited now that cooler weather is coming in.
Old Nov 1, 16, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

They have a system where everyone gets a paper ticket walking in, and the people working behind the counter write what you've ordered on it. You must have a ticket to turn in at the cashier on the way out, even if you don't order anything; lost ticket pays $50.

The ticket guy who's Snoop Dogg's doppelganger has a good sense of humor when asked to tell stories about people who resist the ticket system. It makes standing in line listening to him bark instructions to people much more palatable.

As for the Newark Airport Express, it pulled up to the Port Authority Bus Station bay right on time. I bought a ticket through their website on my phone, but a man later showed up to work the little podium they have. He scanned the QR code on my e-ticket and printed out a receipt. I imagine he sells tickets too.

I was the only one on the bus and was taken directly to Terminal C. The seat was very plush--more comfortable than the UA economy seats I'd been in all weekend, for sure.

The last pickup in Manhattan is at the Port Authority Bus Station at 2am. It doesn't pick up from there again until 5am (though it leaves Grand Central at 4:45am). It was a little late picking up from EWR at 5pm, which is why I opted to Uber it.
If yours is better than Katz's then I want the recipe! (Or do an MR to TLV and bring me some).
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:31 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I also want the recipe! Can’t find good pastrami in SIN.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Pastrami recipe

Sorry I didn't see the request for my pastrami recipe earlier. Here it is...enjoy!

Pastrami rub:
-------------------
1 tbsp whole coriander, toasted
2 tbsp whole allspice
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp caraway seed
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 tbsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Grind all ingredients together, coarsely.

Rub onto corned beef brisket that's been soaked in cold water changed 2-3 times (reduces saltiness later). Only use enough rub to coat the meat--you can store the rest in an airtight container in the fridge for use later. Smoke the brisket at 200-225F, done at 175-180F, approx 1 hr per lb.

Wrap in foil after smoking and refrigerate overnight. Steam for at least 3 hours before slicing against the grain (I use the slow cooker for this, setting the meat on a steamer basket or on a ramekin turned upside-down in about 1/2" of water).

=========

You can also freeze it just after the smoking process. I wrap tightly with plastic wrap and put it in a zipper bag. Then defrost overnight and put it in the steamer. I suppose with enough time, you could just throw the whole thing into the steamer.

I often corn my own brisket roughly following Alton Brown's recipe from Food Network (I use pink curing salt #2 , at 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat in lieu of the saltpeter). For this I buy a whole brisket, cut it in half from top to bottom where the point cut ends, and brine the pieces in 2-gallon zipper bags that I get from the restaurant supply store. Even double-bagged, I use a vegetable crisper drawer in my fridge in case of leakage. It can take up to 14 days to fully cure a really thick cut; there is no harm in letting it sit in brine longer than called for, as corning is a preservation method.

Homemade corned beef is less salty than the commercial stuff, so you can skip the soaking step before making pastrami.
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Wow! Happen to be passing by Singapore any time soon?