Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: progapanda
Wiki Link
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/statu...774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 16, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not sure why this keeps bouncing back to this thread as it's been beaten to death elsewhere.

The bottom line is fairly simple given that the physical space between a major highway and the construction site leaves just so much space:

1. Limit vehicles and divert everyone into some form of shuttle system to offsite areas. This would include taxis, car service, and private vehicles.
2. Limit capacity into the airport, e.g. # of passengers (rotations already limited).
3. Massive airport use fee for non-public vehicles, e.g., private vehicles, taxis, car service (add $20 to the cost of a ride and see how many people will hop a bus to an off site location)

None of these are particularly appealing to any carrier which is the primary service point for HVC's and serves NY's financial district. However, there are plenty of people who would pay $20 extra to have priority access to the curb and leave the rest of the populace simmering in a traffic jam.

This is going to continue through 2020 (at least). People who say that they will consider elsewhere don't know NYC. Neither JFK nor EWR are particularly convenient, the HVC's who make the world go round and support the airfare structure in the market are not going to take public transportation from either and most of them can work from a car just as well as they can from a desk, so the traffic is not as much of a bother.
Sounds like your #1 will happen. I park at the Parking Spot off LGA and just last week, one of their employees told me that sometime in 2017, they, along with other parking and hotel buses, will not be allowed to drop passengers off directly at the terminals. Shuttle buses will drop us off at the Marine Air Terminal, where we will then take PA buses to the appropriate terminal.

I can't confirm on any web site.

Just thinking about that gives me agita and a headache.

Last edited by tonypct; Dec 21, 16 at 5:22 pm
Old Dec 21, 16, 3:44 pm

They're already doing the Marine Air Terminal common shuttle bus for the rental car companies.
Old Dec 21, 16, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
They're already doing the Marine Air Terminal common shuttle bus for the rental car companies.
Yes, I noticed that. Made me think the shuttle arrangements for the main terminals, as described by the Parking Spot driver, will most likely happen.
Old Dec 23, 16, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is going to continue through 2020 (at least). People who say that they will consider elsewhere don't know NYC. Neither JFK nor EWR are particularly convenient
This is what I'm finding as flying into EWR and then getting to Brooklyn not convenient so am left with either LGA or JFK and not all of the airline options available to me fly into JFK leaving me with many more flight options to LGA, for better or worse. I'm weighing these options for a June 2017 trip to Brooklyn but LGA seems hard to avoid...
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I think this whole issue is being way overblown (as we FTers always love to do). Yes, traffic is a mess. But most times that means 5-10 minutes of inconvenience. It's not the avoid-at-all-cost, end-of-the-world scenario that many here would have you believe.

LGA is my home airport. I flew in last week, landing around midnight, and was bummed to see how bad the traffic was even at that hour. I hopped in a yellow cab and steamed as we sat in the traffic trying to exit the airport. But when we finally did and were cruising on the traffic-free Grand Central Parkway, I looked at my phone and realized that the whole ordeal of exiting the airport had taken five minutes.

Look, when you land at an airport, particularly at that hour, you just want to get out of there and get home, and I wasn't happy to be sitting in that traffic. But it cost me five minutes. I can deal with that. Yes, sometimes it's worse, and if you're indifferent between LGA and another airport maybe it's reasonable to choose another airport. But to choose an airport that's more than 10 minutes out of your way to avoid this traffic is absurd IMHO.
Old Dec 23, 16, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I concur with Blumie. I've hit a couple traffic snags over the last few months, but nothing catastrophic. Most annoying thing is the removal of the taxi ranks at the central terminal - that does take much longer than it used to for me.
Old Dec 23, 16, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dstan View Post
I concur with Blumie. I've hit a couple traffic snags over the last few months, but nothing catastrophic. Most annoying thing is the removal of the taxi ranks at the central terminal - that does take much longer than it used to for me.
When I arrived at the Central Terminal last week and began to walk over to where they've moved the taxi line, I had no problem flagging over an available taxi, saving me both the walk and the wait in line. Yes it's jumping the queue, both for me and for the taxi driver, but it's NYC, that's what we do!
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
When I arrived at the Central Terminal last week and began to walk over to where they've moved the taxi line, I had no problem flagging over an available taxi, saving me both the walk and the wait in line. Yes it's jumping the queue, both for me and for the taxi driver, but it's NYC, that's what we do!
Surprised you would find an available taxi after the queue. Of course, the driver is taking a risk as well, but if it works out, great.
Old Jan 4, 17, 12:29 pm

Has anybody experienced the new change, where the Central Terminal Drive pedestrian walkway between terminals B & C is now permanently closed? Got that text alert yesterday and today. I'm not sure what that means to traffic flow.
Old Jan 31, 17, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
Has anybody experienced the new change, where the Central Terminal Drive pedestrian walkway between terminals B & C is now permanently closed? Got that text alert yesterday and today. I'm not sure what that means to traffic flow.

anyone know if it is at all possible to walk between Terminal B & C now ?
Old Feb 9, 17, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Went to pick my wife up last night at Delta D Terminal at 6:00pm. What a nightmare. This was the 60 degree day before the blizzard. Both arriving and departing roadways were close to 100% gridlocked.

FYI, you can wait in the cell phone lot P5 for up to 3 hours for free.

We departed the area at 6:45, with no end in sight to the sea of taillights.

Here's how I beat the system exiting. Most would exit the airport by following the exit signs. Since that was gridlocked, I took a chance on exiting via the C Terminal, where it says arriving flights. That wasn't moving either, but I hoped traffic would lighten up after the terminal; and it did. I exited over the bridge to exit near the Marriott. The regular exit still had loads of traffic. It would have been forever getting out of that mess.
Old Feb 9, 17, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Went to pick my wife up last night at Delta D Terminal at 6:00pm. What a nightmare. This was the 60 degree day before the blizzard. Both arriving and departing roadways were close to 100% gridlocked.
This is why it's worth our while to travel 15-30 extra minutes to JFK. Who needs this garbage? Construction isn't about to end soon.
Old Feb 9, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
This is why it's worth our while to travel 15-30 extra minutes to JFK. Who needs this garbage? Construction isn't about to end soon.
Yup. Drove by LGA on my way to JFK yesterday around 2:30pm. Traffic backed up all the way onto the highway. No thanks.
Old Feb 9, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
Yup. Drove by LGA on my way to JFK yesterday around 2:30pm. Traffic backed up all the way onto the highway. No thanks.
You'd think that the hassles associated with this project would rekindle discussion about a direct rail link to LGA. That a major world city in 2017 won't or can't muster the necessary political will remains astonishing. Now's a good opportunity to highlight the unsustainability of road vehicle transport to LGA but of course, then we'd have one less thing to complain about.
Old Feb 10, 17, 9:19 am
S.R

Programs: UA 1K, EK Gold
Haven't flown out of LGA past 7am in over a year, so haven't been effected by this too much other then having to wait forever for my Uber or car service on arrival.
Next week I have a 5pm departure on Sunday, is it still really bad traffic from the highway to the central terminal? I plan on leaving home around 2:30, usually takes about 25 minutes without traffic.
Will that be enough? Or should I leave earlier?

Search this Thread