Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:44 pm

How's the construction progress coming along? Haven't driven through the GCP in a minute.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:41 am

I flew out of a LGA on a 7 pm flight last Thursday, 11/11. Airport traffic via the 94th St entrance was dreadful.

I took the M60 from Astoria Blvd. The scheduled travel time is roughly 15 minutes but it took me ~45 minutes to get from the Astoria Blvd N/W to Terminal B. It was roughly 20 minutes to get from Astoria Blvd N/W to 94 St/23 Av, and then another 25 minutes to crawl into the airport. It didn't look like a cab would have saved much time from the 94 St/23 Av entrance onward as all traffic was creeping at a glacial pace through the one lane approach.

On another note, I am flying out of LGA again on an 8 pm flight the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (I know, I know -- it was unfortunately the best option for me and someone else is paying for the tickets so I didn't have too much leeway.)

As I anticipate the traffic will again be awful, I'm contemplating getting a cab or the bus to 94 St/23 Av and then walking to Terminal B from there. I see that a blue dotted line for pedestrians is outlined on this map -- can anyone confirm this is a viable route? (I am traveling light, but am thinking about the presence of sidewalks, etc.)

Last edited by andrewesque; Nov 17, 2016 at 8:48 am Reason: New information found
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably okay (it is marked "pedestrian route"), but I'd guess that the full length of that blue dotted line would take you 15 minutes to walk. May not really save you much time, but I guess you can play it by ear.

You can also try a satellite / street map view to get a sense, although recent construction changes probably wouldn't be shown.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Follow the red line, but don't walk left at the bend. Continue straight. There's a light and a cop there. When you cross, there's a pathway in front of the building that will take you straight to the old taxi stand and into the airport entrance.

The dotted blue line was accurate 2 weeks ago.

dh
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
AA at LGA and traffic

I was shocked at the traffic mess when I flew out of LaGuardia this past weekend. At 6:30am, after sitting in traffic approaching the B/Central terminal for 20 minutes, I just got out and walked to the B/Central terminal and then over to the C terminal. I would have missed my flight if I hadn't been willing to trudge through traffic on foot.

Can't AA do anything about the LGA traffic mess? I'd think that this traffic would make the Shuttle to BOS and DCA completely uncompetitive, time-wise, compared to the Acela, and that AA would be losing some business because of it. I'd think that both Delta and AA, as major tenants at LaGuardia and with time-sensitive Shuttle flights, would be livid about the traffic mess.

Or is the old US Airways terminal unaffected by traffic, and, if so, is there a way to enter the airport and go straight to the old US Airways terminal, bypassing the mess around the B/Central terminal?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

I don't think there's anything AA can do about traffic congestion at LGA.

Well, they could stop flying to LGA, which would make for less traffic on the ground trying to get to/from the terminals.

Or, they could only operate the one flight you want to fly, and kick everybody else off the flight, which would have almost the same effect and you'd get there more quickly.

Until then, LGA is going to be a congested mess, landside and airside.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:13 am

It's not just general congestion that I'm talking about; LGA has been generally congested for years; I've been flying to/from LGA regularly for almost 20 years.

What I'm talking about is the absurd traffic jams leading up to at least the B/Central terminal and maybe others--leading to sitting there in stalled traffic for at least 30 minutes, seeing lots of people trudging through stopped traffic on foot due to the traffic, and the like. If I understand correctly, there is a parking garage under construction which has caused the normal roads at LGA to be blocked and traffic to be diverted.

I expect only the worst from the Port Authority, but surely the at LGA roads could have been re-worked for smooth traffic flows despite the construction. Charlotte, NC's airport has been under construction for years, including with parking lots turned into parking garages, but it's always been pretty smooth.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The problem at LGA is one for the city and/or the port authority to sort—unfortunately, asking whether AA can influence it doesn't make it into an airline-specific issue. As such, I am going to ship this off to the New York City forum for further discussion and possible consolidation.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, not specific to AA.
Here's the relevant thread in the NYC forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...nightmare.html
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I think of the last 10-12 times at LGA, the traffic has been pretty bad, but not so much that I missed anything. There was one time in the afternoon, where I had the uber driver drop me off downstairs at the edge of C rather than going all the way around.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:20 am

What is AA doing about this? I'd say that AA and Delta would be more impacted by this congestion than other airlines due to their shuttles. If you add 30 minutes of sitting in LGA traffic to the total trip time, the Acela becomes a winning proposition, not flying.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What is AA doing about this? I'd say that AA and Delta would be more impacted by this congestion than other airlines due to their shuttles. If you add 30 minutes of sitting in LGA traffic to the total trip time, the Acela becomes a winning proposition, not flying.
I don't see what AA (or DL) could do about this. They aren't in charge of the construction nor the traffic patterns. I guess they could lobby PANYNJ to stop letting pick-up/drop-off vehicles in and to institute a shuttle from off-property instead, but I don't see that happening.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ty97
I don't see what AA (or DL) could do about this. They aren't in charge of the construction nor the traffic patterns. I guess they could lobby PANYNJ to stop letting pick-up/drop-off vehicles in and to institute a shuttle from off-property instead, but I don't see that happening.
I'd think that AA and DL, as the two largest tenants at LGA (as far as I know) would be lobbying hard for roads at LGA to be re-worked and for some type of shuttle service.

Let's say Nordstrom has an anchor store at a mall where there is major construction--I'd certainly expect Nordstrom to have a lot of say-so over the construction process and could weigh in on construction that would impact its business. I wouldn't expect Nordstrom to just sit there and let access to its store be blocked for months. Same for AA and LGA.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really think they're not involved?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Time to rethink using another airport. LGA will be under construction -- estimated to complete about 2020. 1000 lbs of .. into a 50 lb bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.