Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've flown in and out of LGA on DL flights over the past months, mostly using the M60 and Q70 buses along with the Red Line shuttle bus to the Rental Car pickup by the Marine Air Terminal and it's been relatively painless. DL recommends clearing TSA security at Terminal D and walking to C gateside to avoid longer lines a C.
Analise likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just as a point of information... I picked up my wife from the C Delta terminal last week (midweek) at 7:00pm. I told her I'd pick her up in the drop off area upstairs; instead of fighting all the arrival traffic outside the lower level, where you'd walk to the street after getting your luggage. The pick up was like the old days - in and out. By the way, while frowned upon, it's a good place to get a taxi.
Analise likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
I need to fly out of LGA but am flexible on flights between AA and DL. I've heard that central terminal has the most traffic issues and I assume that is B. Is it thus safer to assume that I will have less issues flying Delta than American with terminal arrival and departure issues?
B actually easier to get into, as mentioned.
C/D is probably easier to get out of if youre there when car services are required to use the off-site pickup (which can result in long taxi lines onsite). Really depends on when though. At non-peak hours the taxi line may not be so bad. (Eg, a Monday at 5pm there was no line). Taking the bus from B can be a pain too, as it has to circle to D then C before leaving the airport (and then the M60 makes a whole bunch of other cockamamie diversions before really getting on its way).

So if you can, maybe do AA out and DL back.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
How is LGA this weekend with the Nor'easter mess? I'm rebooked on a DL flight Sun 6 am. Car pickup from Upper East Side at 3 am enough time? Delta recommend checking in from terminal D.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by adamak
How is LGA this weekend with the Nor'easter mess? I'm rebooked on a DL flight Sun 6 am. Car pickup from Upper East Side at 3 am enough time? Delta recommend checking in from terminal D.
Way too early. Leave at 4. Youll be airside before 5.
GUWonder, tonypct and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie

Way too early. Leave at 4. Youll be airside before 5.
Agreed.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by adamak
Agreed with the others, way too early. For a 6AM flight last Saturday, left the UES at 4:30, was airside in terminal D by 5:05. With Precheck, but doubt non-pre would have taken more than an add'l 5 mins.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.659MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Just to echo the above, I live on the UES and 6am ex-LGA is my preferred way to leave town. I normally get a car at 5:00-5:10 and arrive at the gate just as my group boards. The FDR/Triboro/GCP are all wide open that time of morning. If you leave at 3 you'll be there at 3:15-20 with nothing to do for 2 hours.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:37 pm

Ride hailing is apparently returning to the CTB this weekend. Pickup will be at the new garage.

Old May 4, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Beginning May 5 - 2nd level of garage

Press Releases
Old May 7, 2018, 8:45 am

It was a nightmare on Sunday @ 5 PM. All regular existing garage traffic plus TLC cars exit through the parking garage gates. Then get funneled into a single lane of traffic that must merge.

It took 40+ minutes for our car to reach us then exit the garage. With I would have dealt with the 15-20 minute taxi line.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EP
What does everyone think about this? This is being framed as a permanent change (at least for the duration of the construction project, but likely forever, realistically)

I am still puzzled why a car dropping a passenger off at the departures level cannot stay there or circle up to arrivals level to pick up their next fare, but I suppose not having to deal with that dinky shuttle is an improvement if it's the best we're going to get.

Last year I FOIA'd the Port Authority to learn more about this (I still believe this unfairly benefits the TLC, who can continue to approach the arrivals apron at the terminal). In response I got a nearly 100 page deck from Uber essentially begging the Port Authority to reconsider alternatives, and Uber offering to implement countless engineering level alternatives to mitigate the traffic issues. How anyone could finish their deck and still conclude relocating Uber to a distant remote shuttle lot is a fair (and sensible) outcome is totally beyond me. But I was satisfied to know Uber significantly resisted this.

Not even sure why a parking garage was part of this remodel project to begin with, considering NYC has the lowest car ownership in the entire country, but that is a different issue.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by samm
Not even sure why a parking garage was part of this remodel project to begin with, considering NYC has the lowest car ownership in the entire country, but that is a different issue.
Because parking generates a TON of revenue for the airport. And because many of the travelers come from outside NYC.

As for putting it into the garage rather than at the curb, a lot of airports do that. I'm not opposed in concept but if there's only going to be one lane in and out that's a problem.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because parking generates a TON of revenue for the airport. And because many of the travelers come from outside NYC.

As for putting it into the garage rather than at the curb, a lot of airports do that. I'm not opposed in concept but if there's only going to be one lane in and out that's a problem.
BOS and MSY both have pickups on the ground level of parking garages, and both have single lane exits. I have had no issues with either, although I did hear reports of gridlock at MSY last week during the New Orleans Jazz Fest, the citys second largest annual event.

As for LGA, I know were a jaded bunch, but lets give PANYNJ the chance to iron out the kinks.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by samm
What does everyone think about this? This is being framed as a permanent change (at least for the duration of the construction project, but likely forever, realistically)... How anyone could finish [Uber's] deck and still conclude relocating Uber to a distant remote shuttle lot is a fair (and sensible) outcome is totally beyond me.
It's not just Uber, it's all for-hire-vehicles other than yellow cabs. One of the unintended consequences of the (mostly good IMO) requirement in NYC that e-hail (Uber/Lyft/Juno/Via/etc.) drivers and cars be TLC licensed is that they aren't really distinguishable from traditional dispatched car services (many e-hail drivers actually do work for both traditional and e-hail services).

So while many other US airports have sent unlicensed e-hail drivers to a parking garage or other somewhat out-of-the-way location (which makes some sense, since most airports weren't designed with a place for those drivers to queue and for their pax to wait), at LGA Terminal B they've exiled ALL FHV vehicles to the remote location. And I think it's nuts that when I arrive at the terminal with mrsmicah and our three kids and a bunch of luggage, there is NO option for us to be picked up at the curb by a single vehicle that will take us home. But at least we won't have to stand outside in the rain waiting for our ride any more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.