Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb Profits: What the average host in New York City earns per year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Airbnb Profits: What the average host in New York City earns per year

When it comes the cost of living, few places in the world are as expensive as New York City, a place where a tiny studio can sometimes run as high as $2,000 per month.

In turn, Airbnb, not surprisingly, has become exceedingly popular service in the Big Apple. Not only is New York City a top-flight tourist destination, but the high cost of living there incentivizes New Yorkers — perhaps more so than in other cities — to put their places up on Airbnb for a little bit of extra cash each month.

But just how much do New Yorkers make, on average from the popular apartment and house sharing site? Not a point of speculation anymore, Airbnb has given us some cold hard data to play around with.

http://bgr.com/2016/07/08/airbnb-pro...nnual-revenue/
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My brother & SIL used to rent out their place in Fort Greene and the income from that rental would cover their rent (for the time gone) and normally the cost of their hotel/AirBNB while traveling in Europe. To me renting out my place is not for me but the two times I have used AirBNB have been good experiences.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jul 16, 2016 at 4:40 pm Reason: add detail
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've seen people cover way more than their monthly rent or mortgage payments in the Scandinavian countries by renting out their homes for daily or weekly rentals. Making a profit out of the rental/re-rental is not just a fact of life in NYC but some places are more profitable at times than other places. High demand locations like NYC being definitely way up there in where there is a lot of cream to be had by renting out homes.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GfL
The most striking thing I just learned from reading the linked article is that the average rent for a 2BR in San Francisco is 24% higher than the average rent in NY, the next-highest city. Holy Moses. I knew SFO was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
The most striking thing I just learned from reading the linked article is that the average rent for a 2BR in San Francisco is 24% higher than the average rent in NY, the next-highest city. Holy Moses. I knew SFO was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad!
Likely because NYC is very spread out with lots of rentals in undesirable neighborhoods. A better comparison would be Manhattan below 98 Street only.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's well known that many homeowners make a killing when some really big special event comes to their city. In many cases, they're happy to leave town until it's over.

In areas that are both year round residential and vacation resorts, such as some of the shore of Long Island, people will move out for high season and rent their places to vacationers. It's obviously profitable enough to be worth the inconvenience and cost of living elsewhere for the period.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's well known that many homeowners make a killing when some really big special event comes to their city. In many cases, they're happy to leave town until it's over.
Same in lots of places.

In Wimbledon many a large house is rented out to the players and their entourages via an agency (nothing as ordinary as AirBnB) for the entire fortnight and it pays for the family to have two weeks away somewhere nice away from the chaos.

But the OP seems to be conflating 'earnings'a and 'profits'

You might have high earnings but very little profit. I read an article about how many owners provide so many 'extras' so as to get the oh so important good rating that they actually earn very little at the end of the day.

I did look at AirBnb for San Francisco - some nice places but more expensive than a hotel room in the area I wanted to be - plus I stlll had to take out the trash!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But the OP seems to be conflating 'earnings'a and 'profits'

You might have high earnings but very little profit. I read an article about how many owners provide so many 'extras' so as to get the oh so important good rating that they actually earn very little at the end of the day.
It's not necessary. I'm a Superhost (top ratings) and I provide coffee/tea and toiletries, plus of course a nice house that is clean and comfortable. My variable costs are near zero--maybe the purchase of one more bottle of Windex and bathroom cleaner and laundry detergent each year than I otherwise would buy, plus the coffee/tea/shampoo/conditioner/soap etc. Since I rent rooms in the house I live in, which I'd be paying for anyway regardless of its Airbnb utilization, my profit margin is almost 100%.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have they changed the law in New York (City?) yet?

It's been illegal to rent your apartment for less than 30 days while you're not there.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It's still illegal and they are making it harder to advertise these types of properties, but it's a cat and mouse thing and there is still availability. And there's also tons of scams and folks showing up and finding they have no place to stay
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It's still illegal, and very likely to stay that way.

Read through Airbnb's report, and they're being very careful about how they present the data. They say that 96% of hosts have only one listing, and that the median number of nights a host rents for is only 47, implying that the bulk of the platform really is just "folks renting their apartment out for a weekend" sort of thing. Illegal, but not necessarily having a big impact on housing availability.

Really, though, I'd want to see what share of nights rented are to units rented out by people with more than one unit - I'd bet it's a LOT higher than the 14% of listings that are by hosts with more than one listing.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123

Really, though, I'd want to see what share of nights rented are to units rented out by people with more than one unit - I'd bet it's a LOT higher than the 14% of listings that are by hosts with more than one listing.
I bet not that many as the vacancy rate is 2-3% in manhattan - which means the unit is occupied. Most are likely hosts that vacate the space or are away.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Don't believe everything you read.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by erik123
I bet not that many as the vacancy rate is 2-3% in manhattan - which means the unit is occupied. Most are likely hosts that vacate the space or are away.
Not quite following you here. My suspicion is that, while the number of _units_ which are listed by "more than one listing" listers is pretty small, the share of the nights which are actually rented by those folks is much higher. In other words, you have a bunch of people renting for a weekend here or there, and a few people who have turned apartments into hotels, and are renting them out full time - the latter group is a big share of the total nights rented, and hence AirBnB's business, but AirBnB doesn't want to admit that.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Not quite following you here. My suspicion is that, while the number of _units_ which are listed by "more than one listing" listers is pretty small, the share of the nights which are actually rented by those folks is much higher. In other words, you have a bunch of people renting for a weekend here or there, and a few people who have turned apartments into hotels, and are renting them out full time - the latter group is a big share of the total nights rented, and hence AirBnB's business, but AirBnB doesn't want to admit that.
Agree that number might be higher than they wish to admit. Many likely retirees that live in Florida or those that have long stints away from NYC for work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.