Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Help out a fellow Traveller?

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus

I will have a long rolling duffel,for transporting a few car parts and items im flying in with to put into a car I am picking up in Jersey from a fellow tdiclub member. I've thought I could just take the Q70 from LGA to roosevelt street(ave?) then the E to 42st street/port authority bus terminal then the NJ T 198 express bus to willowbrook mall.

Might seem hard to do with Me,Girlfriend, One rolling duffel (longish),and rolling laptop case...

I fly in on the 29th from MKE on SWA around 920am... I'm willing to pay up to $30 in gas if someone wants to give me us a ride to the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure it's a good idea (in terms of your personal safety) to solicit a ride from some random stranger on the internet.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Is it as really as bad as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...free-room.html

??? I understand there's SOME people with nefarious intentions, but I'd like to think there's some good people out there, especially on a travel site that's used by mostly travellers, not crooks or murderers. We help out each other on here? Right?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
What's wrong with Uber?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
What's wrong with Uber?
No way the OP gets a ride from LGA to Wayne, NJ for $30 on Uber. :-:

And, quite frankly, putting aside whether it is a good idea to solicit such here (or even whether it is within the scope of the site), I'd say that's lowballing the price by a significant factor.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I will have a long rolling duffel,for transporting a few car parts and items im flying in with to put into a car I am picking up in Jersey from a fellow tdiclub member. I've thought I could just take the Q70 from LGA to roosevelt street(ave?) then the E to 42st street/port authority bus terminal then the NJ T 198 express bus to willowbrook mall.

Might seem hard to do with Me,Girlfriend, One rolling duffel (longish),and rolling laptop case...

I fly in on the 29th from MKE on SWA around 920am... I'm willing to pay up to $30 in gas if someone wants to give me us a ride to the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ.
Unfortunately, $30 would barely cover roundtrip [I]tolls[/b] from LGA to New Jersey, so I would not expect any takers.

The public transportation option you outlined sounds doable to me, as long as you can manage the duffel, and your girlfriend can manage the rolling lap-top case.

If you do not already have a Metrocard, buy one at a Hudson News kiosk in your arrival terminal (a $5.50 Metrocard will cover the two of you for the bus and the subway). Since you are arriving at LGA's old Central Terminal Building, you can also find a Metrocard vending machine inside the terminal, near the bus stop. (Metrocards bought from the machine are subject to a $1.00 new-card fee.)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

i pointed out avoiding tolls.. theres routes that avoid tolls that arent than much longer..you dont always have to think in terms of toll roads. I refuse to pay for toll roads wherever i'm travelling..just for the simple fact that when you buy fuel, your already paying a tax for the roads, why should I be forced to pay any extra to use the dang road. *rolls eyes* and its not like im making bank either. I'm a school bus driver, so cut me some slack here.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Also, I dont live near a city or in a city that has uber, which makes it pointless for me to sign up to uber, for only a onetime use.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:11 pm

i pointed out avoiding tolls.. theres routes that avoid tolls that arent than much longer..]
Not on a round-trip basis.
Also, I dont live near a city or in a city that has uber, which makes it pointless for me to sign up to uber, for only a onetime use.
Huh?

Sign up, use it, delete it. You get what you need and there's no further obligation on your part. Hardly a pointless exercise, other than the fact that it doesn't get you the trip at the $30 price point you're willing to pay.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

i pointed out avoiding tolls.. theres routes that avoid tolls that arent than much longer..you dont always have to think in terms of toll roads. I refuse to pay for toll roads wherever i'm travelling..just for the simple fact that when you buy fuel, your already paying a tax for the roads, why should I be forced to pay any extra to use the dang road. *rolls eyes* and its not like im making bank either. I'm a school bus driver, so cut me some slack here.
Where did you point out "avoiding tolls"?

In any event, while it's certainly possible to avoid tolls going to NJ, it's not possible (as noted by sbm12) to avoid them coming back to NY. I'm not talking about road tolls, I'm talking about bridge/tunnel tolls. http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

If you really don't want to take public transportation, see what the best rate you can get is on a one-way car-rental from LGA to Wayne, NJ (or wherever you'll be staying in NJ).

And I think that there are some websites that now offer a credit of up to $25 off of your first Uber ride, so that might be something to consider -- even if you just take Uber from LGA to Manhattan's Port Authority Bus Terminal to catch the NJ Transit bus. @:-)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I refuse to pay for toll roads wherever i'm travelling..just for the simple fact that when you buy fuel, your already paying a tax for the roads, why should I be forced to pay any extra to use the dang road.
Just like the price of a car ride from LGA to Wayne, NJ is well-established, but you don't want to pay that either -- you want some stranger to accommodate you and bulky baggage at well below market rates. Good luck with this. Sometimes stuff costs what it costs, and for good reasons.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:03 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
They just don't make Bimmer Kids like they used to. Man, I miss BimmerKid1!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
$30 isn't nearly enough to even consider going from LGA to the Willowbrook Mall. The tunnel or bridge tolls will take nearly half that amount.

OP, you need to check the Port Authority of NJ & NJ toll schedule to get to a more reasonable amount.

Last edited by Mary2e; Mar 22, 2016 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:30 pm
Suspended

You might have to pack as light as possible and walk slowly with what you have. If you are going on a Friday, you might be able to rent a car at a cheaper rate and return it to Manhattan. Some car rental companies try to get cars to Manhattan for weekend renters then have cheaper one-way Manhattan to airport rentals on Monday.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"If you are going on a Friday"

He's not: the 29th is next Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.