Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Transportation Between Terminals

Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

I have never been to JFK before so forgive the ignorance, but how do you get from terminal 4 (arriving from LAX) to terminal 1 (departing for Rome)? Will I need to go through security again? I have two hours between flights. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

You'll have to take the AirTrain. It runs outside security, so yes. You'll have to reclear security. Unless there's a airside bus, I don't know about.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I believe that the only air-side bus from T4 goes to T2 (for passengers connecting on Delta).

The OP will need to take the "All Terminals" AirTrain two stops (about a five-minute ride) to get from T4 to T1. Care should be taken not to get on a Jamaica- or Howard Beach-bound AirTrain, as each of those can take about 30 minutes to get from T4 to T1!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
WITHIN the airport, the AIRTRAIN is FREE.^
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you on separate tickets or on one routing? If the former we should alert you to the diners of missing your flight to Rome...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

Two hours between flights while having to change terminals at JFK is very risky. If everything is on time, there's no lines at security, and you can run between flights you'll probably be ok, but it could just as easily go the other way. And, one thing to keep in mind if you are on separate tickets and have to recheck a bag, many airlines have 45-60 minute bag check cut offs. I've had short connections a JFK that I would have made but for missing the bag check cut off.

Hope your flights are on time...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
More info would certainly be useful!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you on separate tickets or on one routing? If the former we should alert you to the diners of missing your flight to Rome...
Most likely this is a DL>AZ connection, so most likely it's a single ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:29 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Thomas Witt.

As this question pertains to a specific airport, we'll move this over to the more-appropriate New York City destination forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:40 am

I am on one routing: LAX to JFK on Delta, Friday Sept 9, arriving terminal 4 at 4:04 pm. Departing JFK terminal 1 for Rome on Alitalia at 6:05 pm. I am registered with TSA PRE check, for what that is worth as to going through security. We have carry-on luggage only. Is it walkable? Thanks for any additional information.

Last edited by CaWino; Mar 10, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CaWino
I am on one routing: LAX to JFK on Delta, Friday Sept 9, arriving terminal 4 at 4:04 pm. Departing JFK terminal 1 for Rome on Alitalia at 6:05 pm. I am registered with TSA PRE check, for what that is worth as to going through security. We have carry-on luggage only. Is it walkable? Thanks for any additional information.
Not walkable. Take the AirTrain, as described in Post # 3.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Two hours between flights while having to change terminals at JFK is very risky.
That's absurd. If the inbound flight is on time, this is a piece of cake.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
That's absurd. If the inbound flight is on time, this is a piece of cake.
I'd say it's pretty safe but not a piece of cake. Immigration could easily take 30-45 minutes and the non-Pre-check line could easily take another 30 minutes, and that's not including baggage claim and rechecking. If OP gets lost and takes the wrong AirTrain (note to OP: take the yellow line), plus somewhat typical long lines, there'd be no margin left.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Javelin
I'd say it's pretty safe but not a piece of cake. Immigration could easily take 30-45 minutes and the non-Pre-check line could easily take another 30 minutes, and that's not including baggage claim and rechecking. If OP gets lost and takes the wrong AirTrain (note to OP: take the yellow line), plus somewhat typical long lines, there'd be no margin left.
Last I checked, one does not need to clear immigration and customs when arriving at JFK from LAX!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CaWino
I am registered with TSA PRE check, for what that is worth as to going through security.
Sadly, nothing in this case as Alitalia does not participate and there is no PreCheck at JFK T1. Still, you should be fine with the 2 hour connection you have. Follow the advice above re AirTrain and do not dally, but you should be fine. The longer lines at T1 don't pick up until a bit later IME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.