Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Recommendation Wanted - Bar with Skyline view

Old Feb 21, 16, 4:28 am
phb
Original Poster

For my daughter's 21st birthday I have promised to take out for a drink. We live in the UK, so I'm taking her somewhere she couldn't have had a drink before her birthday, so it's off to NYC for 5 days and a big dent in the hotel and airline points.

Big question, where to go for the drink in NYC? She enjoys a cocktail, and I had in mind a bar with a spectacular skyline view. It's the end of March, so an outdoor terrace might not be the best.

Any suggestions from locals?
Old Feb 21, 16, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by phb View Post
For my daughter's 21st birthday I have promised to take out for a drink. We live in the UK, so I'm taking her somewhere she couldn't have had a drink before her birthday, so it's off to NYC for 5 days and a big dent in the hotel and airline points.

Big question, where to go for the drink in NYC? She enjoys a cocktail, and I had in mind a bar with a spectacular skyline view. It's the end of March, so an outdoor terrace might not be the best.

Any suggestions from locals?
If the weather is good, you wont find a better bar with views than Bar SixtyFive. You'll pay for that view though.

Search this forum as there is discussion of bars in that may give you ideas.
Old Feb 21, 16, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Wythe Hotel rooftop bar?
Old Feb 21, 16, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Wythe Hotel rooftop bar?
+1
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Wythe Hotel rooftop bar?
I don't like the warehouses you view from the whythe.

I thought about this some more and here a few more options
  • Cantina Rooftop
  • Bar 54 atop the Hyatt Times Square.
  • Press Lounge at Ink48
  • Upstairs at the Kimberly
  • Skylark Lounge
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
I don't like the warehouses you view from the whythe.

I thought about this some more and here a few more options
  • Cantina Rooftop
  • Bar 54 atop the Hyatt Times Square.
  • Press Lounge at Ink48
  • Upstairs at the Kimberly
  • Skylark Lounge
lol they were burnt down: http://gothamist.com/2015/01/31/4-al...lliamsburg.php
Old Feb 22, 16, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
A slightly different option is the Studio Cafe at the new Whitney. The cafe is on the 8th floor of the museum. And if the weather is nice-- and who knows in March? It was gorgeous here yesterday-- you can also wander around the outdoor stairs/ terraces and get a view that way, too. Anyway, the views are very, very nice, and the museum is open until 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. It's run by Danny Meyer, so the food and drinks are good. Although I can't remember if the cafe has cocktails or just wine and beer...

If the weather is nice, Berry Park has a great roof, although it's more for beer than cocktails. It's a young, very Brooklyn-y crowd (part hipster, part bro, depending on the night).

If it's about the drinks, rather than the view, then we're talking a different set of places. Pegu Club, on Houston, remains superb. Bar Goto is newish and also fantastic (opened by a Pegu alum), with a Japanese inflection. Then there are places like The Wayland, or Holiday Cocktail Lounge.

If the OP gives more details on what your (or daughter's) taste preferences are-- classic? experimental? bitters? tequila? gin-based? speakeasy style?-- one can narrow the options. It's really a great time to be drinking cocktails in New York, just not necessarily in places with great skyline views.
Old Feb 22, 16, 3:02 pm

Phb, ignore my previous suggestion about the Whitney. It's not special enough for a 21st birthday. (Other people looking for rooftop bars, I think it's still an interesting idea. But I realized two drawbacks: 1) you have to pay the regular admission to get into the Whitney, and 2) there are sometimes insane lines to get in the building. I forgot those two things because I get to bypass that... Sorry!)

But the neighborhood is right. And I'd say, Le Bain at The Standard Hotel. (Which you can see from the Whitney, which is why it hit me.) It's got cocktails, fabulous people, and a view. Go early (or, I suppose, very late) if you're worried about getting in. Or there's the other bar/restaurant there.

Again, if the drinks are more important than the view, though, I'm happy to make other suggestions on that front.
Old Feb 22, 16, 3:17 pm

http://newyork.peninsula.com/en/fine...ng-rooftop-bar
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCRachel View Post
I don't visit Queens very often, didn't know there was a fire.
Old Feb 23, 16, 7:48 am
phb
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll get researching.

View and occasion is probably more important than the actual drinks, cost isn't an issue. You're only 21 once
Old Feb 23, 16, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by phb View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll get researching.

View and occasion is probably more important than the actual drinks, cost isn't an issue. You're only 21 once
The restaurant downstairs at the Wythe Hotel is great too (Reynard). They take reservations. Sometimes on the weekends there's a line to go up to the rooftop bar (called The Ides). If you are eating at the restaurant you can have the waiter hook you up to go upstairs and skip the line. Reynard has one of the best burgers in the city (usually at dinner it's off-menu - just ask).

If you want to switch up the night Hotel Delmano (not an actual hotel) is a few blocks away and has some of the best cocktails in the city.

You could also take a quick cab ride up to Greenpoint (5 minutes) where WNYC Transmitter Park has one of the best, underrated views of Manhattan. There are piers that go into the East River and it feels like you are engulfed by the skyline. Alameda and Ramona are great bars right by that park.
Old Feb 23, 16, 12:06 pm

If you're in Greenpoint/Williamsburg and want to switch things up, Maison Premiere is fantastic. No view, but it's a very lovely space, amazing cocktails, and superb oysters. That plus Hotel Delmano covers a good range of cocktail possibilities after (or before) you've soaked in the skyline.
Old Feb 23, 16, 2:44 pm

Parkview Lounge in the time warner center
http://www.parkviewloungenyc.com/#we...iew-lounge-nyc

awesome views overlooking central park
Old Mar 17, 16, 7:20 pm

For a view that includes city and central park, I recommend The Mandarin Oriental Lobby Bar @ Columbus Circle. The top of The Standard Hotel in the Meat Packing District is another choice, it is very trendy and would be up a 21 yo's alley, I assume.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: