Trip to NYC - help with hotel selection for June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE

I am taking my stepmother to New York for her 60th and we are flying with BA, so it is kind of relevant to the BA board.

Firstly, by mid-June am I correct in thinking we are quite likely to have one of the new 86J Panasonic-IFE 747's?

Secondly, I am having a nightmare trying to decide where to stay. Given it's summer I like the idea of a hotel with a rooftop terrace/pool but Mrsbadoc suggests it is unlikely we will be lounging around by a pool in NYC.

Main dilemma is where to stay. Both times I have previously been to NY (I know, only twice ) I have stayed in Midtown, great for walking to major attractions but lacking in food options and bars (apart from hotel bars). So looking at the following and would appreciate any advice from regular NY travellers on the BA board:

Hotel Hugo - in Hudson square but near SOHO and Chelsea/Tribeca
Gansevoort Meatpacking - in Greenwich Village
Dream Downtown - in Chelsea
The Surrey - LES

My parents are really not used to luxury hotels and worry that the Surrey might be OTT, they could feel awkward here I think but do like traditional over modern.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mods, even if it could stay here for a day or two I bet I'll get better responses than any other FT location. Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I've only stayed at The Surrey on your list. It's one of our favourite hotels - we've stayed there 3 times now. It's in a quiet area, close to Central Park. Well located for the designer shops on Madison Avenue if that's your sort of thing. Some good neighbourhood restaurants nearby too. It's a 20 minute walk to the park end of 6th Ave. No rooftop swimming pool but there is a rooftop bar to while away the summer evenings.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Library Hotel seems to tick most of those boxes, opposite the NY Library, a quirky place rather than luxurious, roof terrace. Not cheap, but a great place to stay.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Are you trying to troll the mods after the 'on-topic' thread?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Marriott Gold.
Ex-pat here.

I flew on the new (refurb) 747 recently and was amazed! The upper deck was second to none - one of the best flying experiences I have had.

Do you know what time you arrive into the City?

Having not stayed in those hotels, on the count of living here, but knowing where they are - I think The Ganesvoort or Hugo are great. The rooftop bar in the Hugo is nice and its a quiet part of town. I always advice to stay away from Midtown and rather visit there than stay.

Are you flying back overnight or on one of the daytime flights?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:24 pm

Residence Inn Central Park South. Has killer views from every room, feels upscale for a RI and has an included breakfast and WIFI.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by badoc
I am taking my stepmother to New York for her 60th and we are flying with BA, so it is kind of relevant to the BA board.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Are you trying to troll the mods after the 'on-topic' thread?
No, but I'm aware of how the BA board is being cleaned up
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:28 pm

Have you tried http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've stayed at the Gansevoort and the Dream. The Gansevoort wins hands down...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Library Hotel seems to tick most of those boxes, opposite the NY Library, a quirky place rather than luxurious, roof terrace. Not cheap, but a great place to stay.
No where is cheap - each high end hotel is £2000 for two rooms for three nights

Did look at this hotel, wondered if it might be too intellectual for us, sounds as if people could be reading poetry on the terrace! Have you stayed there? What was the 'feel' like?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:31 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by badoc
No, but I'm aware of how the BA board is being cleaned up
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DomesticusTaxmius
Ex-pat here.

I flew on the new (refurb) 747 recently and was amazed! The upper deck was second to none - one of the best flying experiences I have had.

Do you know what time you arrive into the City?

Having not stayed in those hotels, on the count of living here, but knowing where they are - I think The Ganesvoort or Hugo are great. The rooftop bar in the Hugo is nice and its a quiet part of town. I always advice to stay away from Midtown and rather visit there than stay.

Are you flying back overnight or on one of the daytime flights?
Is the Hugo in too quiet a locale though? I always read hotel descriptions as if they were written by an estate agent, so cosy reads minuscule, quiet means deserted etc.

Good to hear you had a good experience on the 86J 747 - we are in First (not that my stepmother knows) so pleased to hear it has upped its game.

On the night flight back, I think the 8.40pm one. Couldn't get availability on the day flight sadly...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No OT threads etc.

Personally I have always felt that was what made the BA board the BA board.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
might be the wrong locale but i've recently been looking at airBnB and had some excellant finds.

was looking here and it looked great. Cracking views.
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16922...s=2&s=s1EOqb_U

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.