New York for NYE

Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

New York for NYE

Hi,

My brother and I are travelling from Newcastle to New York to spend a few days over New Years Eve. It's our first time there so wondered if anyone could give us any tips.

We arrive into JFK on the afternoon of 29th December and are hoping to catch the Knicks game that evening as it's the only sports game on during our stay. Is it possible to buy tickets from Stubhub on the day of the game, or will these need to be purchased in advance? There's the worry we might get delayed but also the closer to game day, I'd imagine unsold tickets will reduce in price.

We haven't really planned anything as such in terms of daily itineraries yet, all that's happening for definite is a trip to the Statue of Liberty on the 30th.

I'd love to see Carrie Underwood perform in Times Square on New Years Eve, but really don't fancy standing out in the cold ALL day. We'd like to go to some clubs to celebrate, is there anywhere you'd recommend?

Any suggestions for what to do, or places to go would be much appreciated. We'll be there until 2nd January.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:19 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
You can use stubhub the day of the game, I think until 2 hours before it starts.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:09 am

NYE in NYC is an animal. Like the above poster said, Stubhub is available until 2 hours before the game. Refresh the page right before it closes and you can probably find a decent deal. Also set a price alert for the game. Sometimes people will significantly lower the price of their tickets to just get rid of them.

Regarding going out, MANY bars/clubs are ticketed for the night. Most are $100+ per person and will have some type of open bar and a champagne toasts at midnight. They are never worth the money you spend.

A lot of bars in the East Village, Lower East Side and Williamsburg are not ticketed. I suggest doing a bar crawl around those areas.

NYE in Times Square is a shitshow, like you said. Not recommended.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just avoid TS on NYE. AVOID! AVOID!

Oh and did I say AVOID?

To get anywhere decent to see the ball drop you have to get there early - hours early - and are penned in - no nipping out to get a coffee (no vendors) or for a pee (no toilets) - and no return to your spot if you do leave.

Certainly no alcohol either - not even bring your own due to NYC public drinking laws and they will search you and bags on entry.

Have a look at the NYE FAQ and here see the sections 'fuel up'

As to tips on other things to do in NYC there are plenty of threads that can offer you suggestions - just have a scan through the first couple of pages of this board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.