Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock Taking Uber from EWR to Midtown

Sticker Shock Taking Uber from EWR to Midtown

Old Dec 22, 15, 10:17 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it possible to walk off the airport property?

I needed a ride from SeaTac to Redmond. If the car picked me up on the airport's arrivals deck, the cost of the trip would have been $100+. I walked to the light rail station then across the street and the fare was like $60.
Old Dec 23, 15, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PBQ View Post
Is it possible to walk off the airport property?

I needed a ride from SeaTac to Redmond. If the car picked me up on the airport's arrivals deck, the cost of the trip would have been $100+. I walked to the light rail station then across the street and the fare was like $60.
There really is no where to walk from EWR. Instead, take a hotel shuttle if you can get a cheaper price. Before LA politicians lifted the ban on Uber picking up fares at LAX, I would take the hotel shuttle to the Sheraton for Uber service.
Old Dec 23, 15, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Considered taking Uber from Penn Station to EWR yesterday Uber Pool was showing a price quote of $68 so I took the train.
Old Dec 23, 15, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Considered taking Uber from Penn Station to EWR yesterday Uber Pool was showing a price quote of $68 so I took the train.
The EWR airport shuttle bus EWR/Grand Central Terminal took all of 41 minutes at 0600 on a weekday morning. Cost $16. Unless you have a family tagging along, or lots of luggage, the bus beats Uber/Lyft.
Old Dec 23, 15, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
The EWR airport shuttle bus EWR/Grand Central Terminal took all of 41 minutes at 0600 on a weekday morning. Cost $16. Unless you have a family tagging along, or lots of luggage, the bus beats Uber/Lyft.
Well as you know I did have family tagging along
Old Jan 26, 16, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For future reference, this was posted in another thread. Seems Uber may have reverted back to local NJ rates for EWR pickups, instead of the more expensive NYC rates (though they still charge the $20 "transborder" fee.

Rates *from* EWR now much less expensive.

https://newsroom.uber.com/new-jersey/ewr/
Old Jul 6, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Uber/Lyft from EWR is now in the $40 range (including toll) as opposed to $70. I arrived at EWR yesterday and fired up Uber/Lyft. Uber was surging at 1.5x to 2x, so I used lyft. $40 fare, plus $5 tip.
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Uber/Lyft from EWR is now in the $40 range (including toll) as opposed to $70. I arrived at EWR yesterday and fired up Uber/Lyft. Uber was surging at 1.5x to 2x, so I used lyft. $40 fare, plus $5 tip.
Too late for me, the OP, but still good news for travelers ^
Old Jul 28, 16, 2:31 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
To provide the other perspective (in terms of destination) I was very pleased to have this deal from EWR the other day:

-- UberPool pickup at EWR, ~10:30pm
-- I was going to Sheraton Lincoln Harbor (Weehawken)
-- One other passenger already in the car, and I was still dropped off first
-- $7.40 all in

Pretty great deal, I thought.
Old Aug 16, 16, 11:39 am
Suspended

Apparently Uber Pool has a $35 EWR- Manhattan rate.
http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...565.1471286726

What I can't tell is if this rate applies per person or for a complete party of 2 or more.
Anyone?
Old Aug 16, 16, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's almost definitely not per person.

There is probably a modest surcharge for a second passenger (UberPool max is 2 passengers).

I noticed they just started doing this on regular UberPools in Manhattan; the surcharge was $1.
Old Aug 16, 16, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

There is probably a modest surcharge for a second passenger (UberPool max is 2 passengers).

I noticed they just started doing this on regular UberPools in Manhattan; the surcharge was $1.
The surcharge for a second person riding in my travel party with me is indeed no more than $2 (if even that) for the markets where I've used Uberpool to get to/from US airports.

I still don't know what to make of the Uberpool thing about being liable for other pool rider's payment not being fulfilled.
Old Aug 18, 16, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

Good. I'll be that guy recruiting people to ride with me along side the Air Train entrance!
Old Aug 25, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I still don't know what to make of the Uberpool thing about being liable for other pool rider's payment not being fulfilled.
Huh? With Uber Pool, you're only liable for your fare (and the fare of any of your guests). So, if I book an UberPool for A to B, and they combine my trip with your trip from C (which is between A and B) and D (which is past B), we each pay our own way. If I book an UberPool for myself and a friend (both going from A to B), then I'm on the hook for both our fares, but it's only $1 more than just my fare.
Old Aug 31, 16, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Huh? With Uber Pool, you're only liable for your fare (and the fare of any of your guests). So, if I book an UberPool for A to B, and they combine my trip with your trip from C (which is between A and B) and D (which is past B), we each pay our own way. If I book an UberPool for myself and a friend (both going from A to B), then I'm on the hook for both our fares, but it's only $1 more than just my fare.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understood that concern either. UberPool gives you a quote for your route, and that's what you pay. The quote, I believe, is based on the likelihood of picking up another passenger along the way (as well as Uber's general willingness to subsidize the driver's compensation), as well as distance of course. But it's fixed. Not even an estimate like with UberX or UberBlack.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: