Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jersey City Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Jersey City Hotels?

Anyone got any recommendations for well priced hotels in Jersey City? Several people have recommended staying in the area as much cheaper than Manhattan/Times Sq etc.

Ideally looking for somewhere with good transport links to the usual tourist spots!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Search for the Pavonia Newport, Exchange place & Hoboken PATH stations on google maps then search for hotels within a 1/4 -1 mile radius depending on the walk you can tolerate.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
I've twice used the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, it's about an 8-10 minute walk to either Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations. It's decent with larger rooms and kitchenettes, but certainly nothing fancy. It's often (but not always) cheaper than Manhattan/Brooklyn/Long Island City. It's main offering is low cost parking if you're going to NYC by car. As of last December, it was $10/night to self-park in their fenced lot next to the hotel (on property, not somewhere else in the neighborhood). If you're driving, the low parking cost probably makes up for the added transit cost (as you will likely pay twice to go most places in NYC - once for PATH to cross the river, then a second time for the subway, although at least it can all go on the same MetroCard). On a couple occasions, I've tried looking at the other hotels there (There's a Doubletree, Hyatt at Exchange Place, and I believe a Courtyard as well) on non-driving trips, but always been able to find a price in NYC that either beats it, or at least matches them, making it not worth the transfers on transit to get to Jersey City.

(If your usual tourist spots are in Midtown or Lower Manhattan, though, you won't have to worry about transfers since that's where PATH goes. We find when we're visiting NYC we're often going far beyond those areas, so we tend to end up doing a lot of transfers from PATH to subway if we stay on the Jersey side. Your mileage may vary.)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. There seem to be some fairly good rates at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel through hotwire so may give that a go as I understand it's got some good transport links!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
I forgot about that one. The Sheraton is close to the NJT light rail (Hudson-Bergen - north south line along the Hudson on the NJ side), and the ferry to Midtown. Also close to Lincoln Tunnel if driving. The one thing it's not close to is PATH (you'd have to take the light rail to PATH to get to Manhattan by rail). In that case, the best bet depends on where you're going to be going and at what times.

For rail access to Manhattan (lower Manhattan at least), the Hyatt Regency Jersey City is right on top of the Exchange Place PATH stop - one stop to WTC.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As mentioned above the Hyatt Regency is next to the Exchange Place PATH which goes into the World Trade Center station in Lower Manhattan and the Westin, DoubleTree, and Courtyard by Marriott are at Newport which is on both the WTC and 33rd Street Lines; the latter of which has stops in Greenwich Village, Chelsea, and Midtown. One thing to note is that while PATH runs 24/7 it does run on a reduced schedule on the weekends and if you are going from Newport to NY on either line you will need to make an extra station stop at Hoboken or Grove Street (the latter with a free transfer across the platform). Also, please keep in mind that during weekdays, the morning trains into NYC are packed full of commuters with the reverse true during the afternoon rush.

I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency and been to some functions there and it's probably the nicest, followed by the Westin, DoubleTree and Courtyard. The Newport hotels are also very close to a shopping mall and other stores and maybe a touch closer to the great restaurants around Grove Street. The Hyatt Regency is surrounded by office building complexes but Grove Street is still within walking distance as are some nice restaurants in the Paulus Hook area.

The Candlewood is convenient for parking, free laundry, and having a full-sized fridge and small kitchen, but I don't believe they have king-sized beds (if that's important to you) and there's a huge office tower under construction next door. When I stayed there, I had a room facing the construction and railroad tracks and had some related noise from that. The walls are also pretty thin.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 12, 2015 at 5:42 am
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As mentioned above the Hyatt Regency is next to the Exchange Place PATH which goes into the World Trade Center station in Lower Manhattan and the Westin, DoubleTree, and Courtyard by Marriott are at Newport which is on both the WTC and 33rd Street Lines; the latter of which has stops in Greenwich Village, Chelsea, and Midtown. One thing to note is that while PATH runs 24/7 it does run on a reduced schedule on the weekends and if you are going from Newport to NY on either line you will need to make an extra station stop at Hoboken or Grove Street (the latter with a free transfer across the platform). Also, please keep in mind that during weekdays, the morning trains into NYC are packed full of commuters with the reverse true during the afternoon rush.

I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency and been to some functions there and it's probably the nicest, followed by the Westin, DoubleTree and Courtyard. The Newport hotels are also very close to a shopping mall and other stores and maybe a touch closer to the great restaurants around Grove Street. The Hyatt Regency is surrounded by office building complexes but Grove Street is still within walking distance as are some nice restaurants in the Paulus Hook area.

The Candlewood is convenient for parking, free laundry, and having a full-sized fridge and small kitchen, but I don't believe they have king-sized beds (if that's important to you) and there's a huge office tower under construction next door. When I stayed there, I had a room facing the construction and railroad tracks and had some related noise from that. The walls are also pretty thin.
Many thanks - much appreciated!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Would anyone be kind enough to have a look at my planned 5 day itinerary for an upcoming trip? If so, I will PM it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.