Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Advice on best way to get to Midtown East from JFK (3 adults, 3 large suitcases)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on best way to get to Midtown East from JFK (3 adults, 3 large suitcases)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hyatt gold passport,virgin flying club,HH,Hertz Gold.

Hi everyone can someone help with a bit of advice,
We are traveling for the first time to new York for a few days before flying onto florida.
There will be 3 people with 3 large suitcases in our party, and iam stuck on what is the best way to get from jfk to east midtown, we travel end of july so it will be warm so thinking airtrain is out ( don't fancy lugging round all this luggage in that heat) looked at a car service for example a sedan but don't think 3 large suitcases will fit in the trunk so is my only other option a yellow cab from outside the terminal and if so will the trunk be big enough to take 3 large cases, any help or advice would be great. I don't really want to spend megabucks on a stretch limo or suv if I can help it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Using a SUPER SHUTTLE http://www.supershuttle.com/Location...leNewYork.aspx
might work. Since these transport several people, and from my (one time use), recollect that they have much more luggage space than a typical taxi.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
might work. Since these transport several people, and from my (one time use), recollect that they have much more luggage space than a typical taxi.
will take a look thanks
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I don't know how big your "large" bags are but a normal sedan should be able to transport 4 passengers and at least 3 regular bags. If you are worried, book a minivan instead.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-services.html
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
You didn't provide E. Midtown location.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use Super Shuttle in NYC or equivalent. Too many alternative services available which are faster and cheaper. NEVER USE Super Shuttle in general if more than 2 adults anywhere - just take a cab.

You can wait for yellow cab using a minivan or SUV (many hybrid models are available)
Depending on your location in Manhattan - you can look at Airport Express bus which goes JFK to Grand Central Station - as it is a bus your suitcase is no problem for it. I believe cost is $16 per person.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
You didn't provide E. Midtown location.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use Super Shuttle in NYC or equivalent. Too many alternative services available which are faster and cheaper. NEVER USE Super Shuttle in general if more than 2 adults anywhere - just take a cab.

You can wait for yellow cab using a minivan or SUV (many hybrid models are available)
Depending on your location in Manhattan - you can look at Airport Express bus which goes JFK to Grand Central Station - as it is a bus your suitcase is no problem for it. I believe cost is $16 per person.
If OP's hotel were elsewhere, wouldn't he still need a taxi with enough space for his LARGE suitcases. Finding a minivan at JFK might be easier(?)
PS: If OP is arriving at T8 (AA), finding ANY cab could require a long wait. I've seen over 100 people on line and only 2 cabs in sight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If your suitcases can make it up an escalator, I would just take the AirTrain to the E, which has 2 stops in East Midtown (53/Lex, 53/5th Avenue). Cheap and definitely faster if you come at a time when there's a lot of traffic.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 am

You can book a standard sedan with any basic car service and you'll be fine. Just be sure to tell them that you have 3 people and 3 large suitcases so they don't send a hybrid Camry or something with a tiny trunk.

If your bags are truly huge, worst case scenario is that one of them rides in the car with you and you'll have to squeeze a little (either all three people in the back with the bag up front, or two people and a bag in back and one in front).

As others have said, if you're really worried about space book a minivan from the car service, which will typically cost about 50% more than a standard sedan.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We used Carmel car service on a regular basis, mostly for cruises out of NY terminals and sometimes for airports - their minivans (Toyota or Honda, sometimes, the Chrylser's T&C) aren't that much more than a deluxe or luxury sedan - maybe 20 to 25% more for the typical trip. The deluxe or luxury sedan will usually fit 3 x 25" suitcases and any backpacks or "smaller" carry-ons can go into the backseat with just 3 pax riding - same is true for most yellow taxis at the airport.

If the next available yellow taxi is too "small" don't worry, dispatcher will find you one - the old Ford Crown Vic (ex-police car) taxi will fit 4 people plus 4 x 22" carryons & 2 backpacks with ease, we've done it coming back from cruises - the flat rate to/from JFK to Manhattan is a good deal in the middle of the summer. Car service are competitively priced & there is a $3 or $4 online discount for Carmel (similar for Dial 7) ...

There are also the newer Ford Transit Connect (smallish minivan) - that will fit 4 pax and 3 "large" suitcases will fit in the back - vertically or stacked plus some hand luggage) If oversized - one can go into the backseat with 2 riders & 3rd person ride up front, easy one. Plus, there are a mix of regular minivans & some SUV's - "older" Ford Escape (some hybrids) that should also work. The bigger & customized for taxi fleet - Nissan NV200 are even nicer & roomier - haven't roll out yet and/or seen any rolling on the road but should soon be a big welcome sights for (non) FT's loaded with bags.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
This is probably the worst idea ever. I will never, ever set foot in one of them in NYC. Simply awful.

Taxis or town cars will be just fine with the luggage in most cases.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:48 pm

Why not uberXL?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone who replied and offered great advice I have gone with dial7 and a sedan, $42 one way from JFK to Manhattan
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by neza
Many thanks everyone who replied and offered great advice I have gone with dial7 and a sedan, $42 one way from JFK to Manhattan
For future reference, there are many minivans serving as NYC Yellow Cabs. When you get to the taxi stand just let the dispatcher know that you have 3 bags and 3 people. They will usually direct you to a minivan. You may have to wait, but in my experience, it's never more than 5 extra minutes.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
For future reference, there are many minivans serving as NYC Yellow Cabs. When you get to the taxi stand just let the dispatcher know that you have 3 bags and 3 people. They will usually direct you to a minivan. You may have to wait, but in my experience, it's never more than 5 extra minutes.
But a taxi would cost more than the $42 car-service rate that the OP was quoted.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yup, this is the way to do it. Plus, they'll have air conditioning. A/C isn't always functioning in taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.