Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get Downtown Manhattan from JFK on a Saturday morning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Best way to get Downtown Manhattan from JFK on a Saturday morning

There used to be a "weekend" combo LIRR+AIrTrain but I don's see it /find it anymore. I am also most interested in as less as possible transfers. Taxi would be the last resort. Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I always go AirTrain to Jamaica ($5), LIRR to Penn Station (about $7 if you're going on a weekend, which would be off-peak). Then depending on how far you're going downtown and your personal preferences, you can walk from Penn, take a subway, or cab. I haven't seen any combo ticket offered recently. Hard to believe that one of the world's great cities doesn't have quick and efficient public transportation from its airports into downtown, but that's NY for you!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://flyerguide.com/index.php/NYC_...9_to_Manhattan
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Where in "Downtown Manhattan"? Choosing the LIRR over the subway will not necessarily be best, depending on how far downtown you are going.

And on weekends, the LIRR offers a "City Ticket" option which will be cheaper than the off-peak fare.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the New York Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ticu
There used to be a "weekend" combo LIRR+AIrTrain but I don's see it /find it anymore. I am also most interested in as less as possible transfers. Taxi would be the last resort. Thanks
If you want the least # of transfers, skip the LIRR as it won't take you downtown.

So where downtown? The E, J and Z subway lines go downtown from the Airtrain stop at Jamaica. The A train goes downtown from the Airtrain stop at Howard Beach.

Also, look at the planned service changes the Thursday before you arrive to verify that all 3 subway lines will run that weekend. http://web.mta.info/service/
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Analise
...The E, J and Z subway lines go downtown from the Airtrain stop at Jamaica. The A train goes downtown from the Airtrain stop at Howard Beach.
The A from Howard Beach can take a long time to get into Manhattan. Are there still express trains on this line?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Where in "Downtown Manhattan"? Choosing the LIRR over the subway will not necessarily be best, depending on how far downtown you are going.

And on weekends, the LIRR offers a "City Ticket" option which will be cheaper than the off-peak fare.
That was it. City ticket. Still exists? The downtown target is Club Quarters at Wall St. Even though I give myself slim chances to check in arount 10 AM.... but at least to leave my bags.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Yes: City Ticket is still offered at LIRR ticket-vending machines. Fare is now $4.25.

If you do take the LIRR from Jamaica, heading for Flatbush Avenue Brooklyn might make as much sense as heading to Penn Station, since your destination is the Wall Street area.

Or just take the subway from either AirTrain terminus.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:32 pm

Just catch the J train from Jamaica to its terminus at Broad Street. (The J used to end at Chambers Street at weekends, but has just been extended to Broad Street.) It's a short walk to Club Quarters from there.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The A from Howard Beach can take a long time to get into Manhattan. Are there still express trains on this line?
The A *is* the express train. Either it or the J (which is local on its route) would seem to meet the OP's condition of the least amount of transfers. I find that Google Maps does a pretty good job of giving transit options.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 25, 2015 at 5:02 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
As other indicate the least number of transfers would be:
AirTrain -> Jamaica -> J train to Broad St ($7.75)
or
AirTrain -> Howard Beach -> A Train to Fulton/Nassau/Broadway (require a minor walk) ($7.75)
and closest drop off
AirTrain -> Jamaica -> LIRR (use CityTicket on weekend) towards Flatbush -> 2 or 3 train to Wall St ($12??)

IF time is no urgency.. The J train is slower (vs other options) but nice view of skyline and welcome to NYC as it traverses the Williamsburgh Bridge. Prior to the bridge you get a view of all the row houses rooftops in Brooklyn.
If time is no issue and you wish to save $5 - you can go to T5 at airport via AirTrain loop (no charge), Take the Q10 bus to Liberty Ave and transfer/board A train to Fulton/Nassau/B'way - total ride is $2.75 if you have a MEtroCard before boarding.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jun 25, 2015 at 10:04 am Reason: Add Q10 & A train option
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
As other indicate the least number of transfers would be:
AirTrain -> Jamaica -> J train to Broad St ($7.75)
or
AirTrain -> Howard Beach -> A Train to Fulton/Nassau/Broadway (require a minor walk) ($7.75)
and closest drop off
AirTrain -> Jamaica -> LIRR (use CityTicket on weekend) towards Flatbush -> 2 or 3 train to Wall St ($12??)

IF time is no urgency.. The J train is slower (vs other options) but nice view of skyline and welcome to NYC as it traverses the Williamsburgh Bridge. Prior to the bridge you get a view of all the row houses rooftops in Brooklyn.
If time is no issue and you wish to save $5 - you can go to T5 at airport via AirTrain loop (no charge), Take the Q10 bus to Liberty Ave and transfer/board A train to Fulton/Nassau/B'way - total ride is $2.75 if you have a MEtroCard before boarding.
Thank you. It looks that this Saturday the J subway is not running to Manhattan. I will probably use second or third option. And yes, time is no issue. We're getting too early to get the room so we'll probably go to the top of the new World Trade Centre building - weather permitting.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ticu
Thank you. It looks that this Saturday the J subway is not running to Manhattan. I will probably use second or third option. And yes, time is no issue. We're getting too early to get the room so we'll probably go to the top of the new World Trade Centre building - weather permitting.
The forecast is for rain all day on Saturday. If you want to go to the WTC, you can take the Airtrain —>Jamaica
to the E —> WTC which is the last stop.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Analise
The forecast is for rain all day on Saturday.
The Friday morning weather update is for rain/heavy rain to begin late Saturday afternoon. Updates here > http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/10010:4:US

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.