Wiki Posts
Search

4th July in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:00 am
GRM
Original Poster

4th July in NYC

I'm taking the family to NYC from 7/1 to 7/6, it's their first visit there and I've only just twigged that we'll be there for the 4th July weekend. My sons are 18 and 15 - anything in particular you'd recommend to do over the holiday that isn't normally on? Things like the hot dog contest etc.

Anything else to consider, are some things we might have planned to do/see shut over that weekend?

TIA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you feel like standing with thousands and thousands of people for a 12 minute hot dog eating contest, that's up to you.

As for tourist attractions in general, nothing should be closed for the most part. The exceptions are related to ferry and other boat traffic as they will be suspended during the fireworks.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:13 am
GRM
Original Poster

To 18 and 15yo boys, Man vs Food is the height of sophisticated entertainment :-)

I very much doubt we will do Nathan's, just wondered what other one-off events there might be that I'll never have heard of as a Brit.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Street Fairs, fireworks, take them to Yankee Stadium to see a game, etc, etc
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:22 am

Coney Island is a nice day trip, about an hour from Manhattan. It's long past its heyday, but still has a funky amusement park atmosphere. I highly recommend seeing the minor league Brooklyn Cyclones. The games are lots of fun, with corny audience participation entertainment between innings. And it's easy getting back to Manhattan on the subway.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/home/
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:40 am

For 15yo and 18yo boys, look for all-ages rock concerts and things like that.

There are several arts festivals that put on tons of mostly outdoor, mostly free performing arts events each summer. Schedules generally won't be out for a few more months, but pick up a copy of Time Out New York magazine when you arrive (make sure to check which dates are covered as the one on newsstands on Wednesday may not yet be the one covering the coming weekend) and it should have pretty complete listings of what's going on. Just be aware that many indoor venues (particularly the smaller ones) have 18+ or 21+ age restrictions.

And of course on July 4 the fireworks are amazing, although you may have to get to the prime spots many hours in advance to claim a good spot. If the weather is good, many locals will pack a big picnic and hang out all afternoon/evening in anticipation. There are also expensive cruises with good views, and many buildings have rooftop decks with good views, although snagging an invitation can be a challenge.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:08 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by Spaghetti
Coney Island is a nice day trip, about an hour from Manhattan. It's long past its heyday, but still has a funky amusement park atmosphere. I highly recommend seeing the minor league Brooklyn Cyclones. The games are lots of fun, with corny audience participation entertainment between innings. And it's easy getting back to Manhattan on the subway.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/home/
True, but not on the 4th itself, unless you want to get caught up in the Nathan's excitement.

We went to Coney Island on the 5th of July a couple years ago and loved walking around there early-ish in the day (9AM to 11AM or so).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Fireworks:
http://cititour.com/NYC_Events/2015-...Fireworks/9935
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:44 am

I hope they move back to the Hudson for 2015 (I have a fireworks view hotel room booked . . . but it's only a view if they are on the Hudson!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.